Cowboy Cookset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowboy Cookset

I had a request to post a photo of the Cowboy Cookset. This is my wife's favorite camping toy, and although she enjoys it, I find it unnecessarily complex and cumbersome. So here ya go, NYCGirl:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle import 588.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	72948Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle import 583.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	72949
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Re: Cowboy Cookset

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
    I had a request to post a photo of the Cowboy Cookset. This is my wife's favorite camping toy, and although she enjoys it, I find it unnecessarily complex and cumbersome. So here ya go, NYCGirl:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5879[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5880[/ATTACH]
    Who does the cooking?
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Supposedly she does. Supposedly. For longer trips I suppose the hassle would worth the extra variety in meals, but I can't take her on longer trips. At the heart of it, I am just a minimalist whereas she is a kitchen-sink camper. The cookset is not really comfortable to work with because it is so close to the ground. She does have trouble with that part. Plus we have to either bring our own firewood or buy the expensive wood at the campground (she has to have full hookup for some reason). OTOH, we get lots of visitors who want to check it out. So anyway, it gets packed when she goes with me, but for solo trips it stays at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
        Supposedly she does. Supposedly. For longer trips I suppose the hassle would worth the extra variety in meals, but I can't take her on longer trips. At the heart of it, I am just a minimalist whereas she is a kitchen-sink camper. The cookset is not really comfortable to work with because it is so close to the ground. She does have trouble with that part. Plus we have to either bring our own firewood or buy the expensive wood at the campground (she has to have full hookup for some reason). OTOH, we get lots of visitors who want to check it out. So anyway, it gets packed when she goes with me, but for solo trips it stays at home.
        Hehehe to the supposedly....stuff supposedly happens in my life too.
        Whoa that is some system!
        Looks like there's a hanging rod for every temperature one could imagine but I too can only imagine using it for an extended trip for several people.
        There's a PBS show about a chef enamored with Revolutionary War cooking techniques who uses a similar system over an indoor fireplace. I'll try to find his name and the show's link.
        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 12-07-2016, 12:46 AM.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          I'll try to find his name and the show's link.
          Pretty sure I've got that covered...

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/a-taste-of-history/

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
            Pretty sure I've got that covered...

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/a-taste-of-history/
            Ya got it and thumbs up to you !
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Complex is right. I never saw it being used by a single cowboy or a couple when on the ranger, in TV or movies. For a group riding herd, maybe.
              Me, I get by with my GI canteen cup and stove, which packs with my canteens. While I am not an uber-hiker minimalist, I do like to go simple. I do use a small propane stove. I rarely have an open fire.
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I'm like you Bigdog...an open fire is not an essential part of my camping experience. It's a lot like work, actually, the avoidance of which is why I like camping :-) Solo, that is.

Comment

Working...
                X