Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Wild" Camping Locations Near Wilmington, DE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Wild" Camping Locations Near Wilmington, DE?

Hi All! I did a few searches in this forum as well as on Google with no luck. Does anyone know anywhere in Delaware that I could just walk out into the woods and camp for a night or 2? I've been tent/camper camping for about 30 years mostly at state parks but wanted to step it up a notch and teach/learn some bushcraft skills with my sons (6 and 7). For my first season out I'd really like to stay in Delaware or at least really close. We will be doing hammock camping, no tent to start out at least. I know the Appalachian Trail is an option but it looks like that's at least 2 hours away from home and you're only allowed to camp if you're going from the start to finish in Pennsylvania which I'd rather not hike a couple hundred miles with kids. Lol. (Not sure if I read that wrong on the AT website). Any help and tips are greatly appreciated!

Re: "Wild" Camping Locations Near Wilmington, DE?

heres a start
    most states allow some form of primitive camping in their state forest
    for more options probably worth looking into neighboring states state forests and their primitive camping regulations

http://dda.delaware.gov/forestry/forest.shtml

7.0 Camping Rules and Regulations
    7.1 Camping is free-of-charge, year round, but restricted to map-designated campsites. A forest use permit is required for all camping on State Forest lands. Permits are available at State Forest offices during state business hours or from information boxes located at each State Forest office. Completed permits must be submitted during office hours to ensure campsite availability.
    7.2 Campsites are on a first-come, first-served basis and reservations are required.
    7.3 Campsites are of a primitive type, and are to be used ONLY for tent, van or pickup campers. Travel trailers and /or self-propelled motor homes are excluded due to access and parking limitations, unless otherwise noted.
    7.4 There are a limited number of campsites, each is large enough to accommodate large families. These are equipped with tables, fire pits, charcoal grills and a trash barrel. Campsites are limited to a maximum number of ten (10) people per site, with a maximum stay of three nights per week. Camper(s) must remove their trash upon vacating their campsite.
    7.5 Camping is at your own risk. State Forests are a public use area and there is no after-hours, nighttime or weekend security. Law enforcement is provided by the Delaware State Police and DNREC should the need arise.
    7.6 State forests are “multiple-use facilities”, which means other activities will continue while you camp. These activities include: hunting, picnicking, hiking, nature study, horseback riding, firewood cutting (by permit only), and timber harvesting. The DFS reserves the right to limit or deny permits during times of conflicting use.
    7.7 Firewood for camp use is available at the campsites. If more firewood is needed, it may be gathered locally from dead and downed trees. Standing trees or shrubs shall not be cut. Using firewood located at the office complex is prohibited. Campfires shall be contained within established fire rings only.
    7.8 Campsites are to be left clean and all fires are to be extinguished before departing from the area.

Comment

Awesome info, thanks so much!

Originally posted by terasec View Post
      heres a start
      most states allow some form of primitive camping in their state forest
      for more options probably worth looking into neighboring states state forests and their primitive camping regulations

http://dda.delaware.gov/forestry/forest.shtml

7.0 Camping Rules and Regulations
      7.1 Camping is free-of-charge, year round, but restricted to map-designated campsites. A forest use permit is required for all camping on State Forest lands. Permits are available at State Forest offices during state business hours or from information boxes located at each State Forest office. Completed permits must be submitted during office hours to ensure campsite availability.
      7.2 Campsites are on a first-come, first-served basis and reservations are required.
      7.3 Campsites are of a primitive type, and are to be used ONLY for tent, van or pickup campers. Travel trailers and /or self-propelled motor homes are excluded due to access and parking limitations, unless otherwise noted.
      7.4 There are a limited number of campsites, each is large enough to accommodate large families. These are equipped with tables, fire pits, charcoal grills and a trash barrel. Campsites are limited to a maximum number of ten (10) people per site, with a maximum stay of three nights per week. Camper(s) must remove their trash upon vacating their campsite.
      7.5 Camping is at your own risk. State Forests are a public use area and there is no after-hours, nighttime or weekend security. Law enforcement is provided by the Delaware State Police and DNREC should the need arise.
      7.6 State forests are “multiple-use facilities”, which means other activities will continue while you camp. These activities include: hunting, picnicking, hiking, nature study, horseback riding, firewood cutting (by permit only), and timber harvesting. The DFS reserves the right to limit or deny permits during times of conflicting use.
      7.7 Firewood for camp use is available at the campsites. If more firewood is needed, it may be gathered locally from dead and downed trees. Standing trees or shrubs shall not be cut. Using firewood located at the office complex is prohibited. Campfires shall be contained within established fire rings only.
      7.8 Campsites are to be left clean and all fires are to be extinguished before departing from the area.

Comment

That is what I do. If you don't need the amenities like toilets, tables and fire rings then its fantastic. Plus there is the space. No neighbors.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

No need for a toilet when you have an etool. Lol.

Originally posted by James. View Post
          That is what I do. If you don't need the amenities like toilets, tables and fire rings then its fantastic. Plus there is the space. No neighbors.

Comment

Working...
          X