Speaking of firewood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of firewood

We always stay at state park campgrounds. Of course, they do not allow any wood gathering, so we take firewood with us. Last month, we had to buy some from Lowes. I didn't like what we got. It seemed to have some kind of powdery residue on some of it. I noticed the label saying it was treated to meet the USDA firewood standards. Since then, I've looked at a couple of other brands, all saying the same thing. One went on to say it was heated to 165°F for 15 minutes, or some such. Is the treatment only heating like that, or is it chemically treated? Anyone familiar with that?

Re: Speaking of firewood

Commercially available firewood is required by the USDA, to be treated at at least 161 degrees for a period of 75 minutes, and to have an accompanying certificate. This is to prevent the spread of the Emerald Ash Borer and other hardwood tree killing insects. As far as I know, there is no chemical treatment required. There are some states that require any firewood carried into state parks to be treated and certified.

At the parks i frequent in my home state of Kentucky, gathering firewood is allowed, and encouraged, as long as it's already down on the ground.

David

Comment

I'll chime in to agree with astrowolf about the heat treatment being for the Ash Borers. And I've also never heard of a chemical treatment - and, as an exterminator, that's something I probably would have heard of by now. I'll be sure to raise that question at the next re-certification course that's coming up soon. The Ash Borer problem is so bad here in Maryland that, the last I've heard or seen, is that no wood from outside the park or forest where you're camping can be brought in. I'll have to make some phone calls now to see if anything's changed on that issue. I've got a woman on my route at work that has over four cords of mixed hardwood she wants to get rid of and it'd be great to be able to "help her out with her problem". Sure would save me a lot of time, energy and money!

Comment

Thanks, David. I kind of figured that's all it was, but wasn't sure. In Texas, at least in some campsites, they specifically prohibit picking up dead stuff, as it is home to certain creatures and returns to the soil. Not saying it doesn't happen, though. Thanks, again.

Comment

I'd contact your local landscapers and ask them where to get wood. We get ours for free and invested in a good chain saw. Problem solved.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Oops! Sorry, MacGyver. I missed your reply. I wasn't even drinking adult beverages.

tplife, oh, I have 4 Stihls, from little, to not little. I just hate splitting it, after cutting it down. That gets real close to work.

Comment

As long as wood is not green and is semi dry it does not need to be split; although tossing logs on the fire can make for big fires (besides using a lot of wood)...

Easiest, (when I was less antique) was to push over and carry/drag standing dead wood snags (up to 8" in diameter; bigger is tough to cut with a Svensaw) back to camp and cut them in to ~2 foot lengths...

Enjoy!
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Well, it depends on how big the piece of wood is. Plus, I wouldn't want a campfire of 8"-12", or bigger, pieces. I prefer splits, or limbs no bigger than 4"-5".

Comment

..sounds like you have a choice;
                  split the wood at home with a log splitter or bring some young guys and let them do it with an ax or splitting maul...
                  Personally, I avoid it like I said...
                  4" to 5" is good but it means dragging lots more snags back to camp (by hand)...usually large dead trees, in the forests around here are not convenient/legal to get a log chain/vehicle close enough to drag pieces back to camp, or get a truck close to load large chunks. Naturally it is illegal to cut live trees (besides which, they burn poorly), without proper permits on public land.

Enjoy!
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

If you know someone with a Fiskars splitting axe that will let you try it, do it! I sold my Monster Maul and 3-1/2 pound splitter after I got mine. Splitting wood isn't like doing reps on a weight machine anymore.

Comment

... If there are young guys around just leaving the ax out usually results in spit wood... got to watch out for those that don't know how to handle an x though; especially after a few brews, they can be dangerous...

"Old age and guile will overcome youth and enthusiasm."

Enjoy!

Comment

I've got regular ax and one similar to the Fiskars. I do some splitting, not much. As I said earlier, the state campground rules prohibit gathering wood. Not that it doesn't happen. Just sayin'. lol

Comment

Working...
                        X