Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changes/improvements you figure on doing this year...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes/improvements you figure on doing this year...

Since a new camping season (May) is almost upon us I have been looking for things to change/improve as far as gear, techniques, accessories etc. for this summer.
    Made a couple of abortive attempts at adding an awning to the tent last year; Hopefully this season it will become a reality.
    I still need a good single burner propane stove; the search continues, while old beat-up, trusty/rusty (a well experienced Coleman) continues to serve...

Last year's Jeep (TJ) Rubicon acquisition may have been a mistake (I'll give her a new set of load range C mud treads and see if that helps the ride)...

Any one else got any planned improvements?

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Changes/improvements you figure on doing this year...

I put in a new front fuel tank on the clipper. The original sprung a leak 2 years after a visit with a rock. I'm hoping this will resolve some minor fuel issues I've had with the rear tank (which will go back in service as my emergency tank).

Do have a new campground scheduled this summer - hoping that turns out nice.

Dogs will be trying out their memory foam pads on their outside cots - hoping that helps out Moose-dog's hips and encouraging him to be outside more than last trip.

Other than that, I have been trying not to buy new camping gear for the time being.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Bought a Honda EU2000i generator so I can go to more shaded sites and not have to chase the sun with the solar panels. I won't be using the 120 AC much until I get a trailer - gonna be just about all for 12V DC for now.

Comment

I took my REI dividend and bought a Yakima Megawarrior roof top basket.

Trying to get a little more organized (ie. faster/smoother) on our camp set-up, take down, pack away time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	31530480_10210673986235747_6088819692082823168_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	71026
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Relocating from NJ to FL (returning after 14 years up north) in June. Looking forward to rediscovering familiar places and discovering new ones with my old friends. Already booked a campsite on the beach in September and planning musicfest camping in November. Will likely be investing in some extra pieces of gear for shade. Already on the Amazon Wish List.

Comment

after years of going minimal, going back and building up my carside camping gear, need to work on more/better cooking methods,
            less 1 pot dried meals, and more real food cooking

Comment

We're coming to the end of our camping season (it's just too blasted hot in Texas for us) - one more scheduled outing at the beginning of June, the we're off until late September. But I do have a list of items I'm planning on upgrading so that my wife & daughter will be more likely to join us in the fall - 1. Upgrading to an 8 person tent, 2. Getting a propane tent heater, 3. Cots & sleeping pads for all.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                Bought a Honda EU2000i generator so I can go to more shaded sites and not have to chase the sun with the solar panels. I won't be using the 120 AC much until I get a trailer - gonna be just about all for 12V DC for now.
                I went with the Yamaha 1600 watter; worked well and quietly...
                Right now I am seriously considering going to a 800 watt Sportsman brand, inverter style, generator; to charge the tent battery every few days.

For me running a generator at night, or chasing the sun with solar was to much hassle... I suspect some kind of hybrid (battery & generator to charge it) system may be a better fit.

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-01-2018, 02:31 PM.
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                  I went with the Yamaha 1600 watter; worked well and quietly...
                  Right now I am seriously considering going to a 800 watt Sportsman brand, inverter style, generator; to charge the tent battery every few days.

For me running a generator at night, or chasing the sun with solar was to much hassle... I suspect some kind of hybrid (battery & generator to charge it) system may be a better fit.

Enjoy!
                  Yeah, chasing the sun for solar gets old, even with the cart I made last year. I thought about getting something smaller just to charge the batteries, but I'm looking ahead to a trailer. With the Honda I can buy the companion generator to double the watts and add 230 volts if I need it. But, until I'm trailering, the genny/battery setup is great. 8 amps for an hour or two (if that) and I'm good for the night. Of course, Honda just kinda pissed me off a bit when they introduced a 2,200 watt generator the same size as the 2,000 - right after I bought the 2,000.

Comment

I have several of those jumpstart battery packs. One in the SUV and three in the clipper. I also have my wagan power pack. And I replaced my old house battery in the clipper with an Optima blue top group 31 agm battery. Between those, I have never needed a generator or solar. In addition, they all do double duty.

But even with all those, I have never even come close to 50% on my optima battery during a camping trip. I do have a basic rule that I follow: never camp where it's hot at night.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I am looking forward to spending a couple nights under my new purple haze tarp before I sell it. I eagerly await the arrival of my new teal color fabric from RipstopByTheRoll so I can make my new teal tarp this year.

I can't wait to try out my new Coleman Camping Oven. Unsure what I'm going to bake first. Cookies? Cinnamon Rolls? Pizza?

Comment

Originally posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
                        I am looking forward to spending a couple nights under my new purple haze tarp before I sell it. I eagerly await the arrival of my new teal color fabric from RipstopByTheRoll so I can make my new teal tarp this year.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]6349[/ATTACH]

I can't wait to try out my new Coleman Camping Oven. Unsure what I'm going to bake first. Cookies? Cinnamon Rolls? Pizza?
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]6350[/ATTACH]

Why are you selling your purple tarp? Curious as you appeared to be quite happy with it.

The Coleman oven is useful....although it takes some practice to get the hang of it. I put a round 8" pizza stone on the rack, then put whatever food I am baking on the pizza stone. The stone helps even out the heat and helps prevent/control "burnt" food bottoms. If it is colder/windy outside, it helps to put some aluminum foil around the outside of the oven to help keep the heat in. Keep the door shut as much as possible to keep the heat in...I check food doneness by peeking down into the oven via one the vent holes (surprisingly, a flashlight or headlamp will help see inside easier). The temp gauge on the outside...meh....wouldn't rely on it. This piece of gear is one of those where you practice and refine it each time you use it.

My Coleman oven is vintage...from 1963. I bought it off of eBay...unused. It was basically the cost of a new one. It was a tough decision to actually "use" it...but to "use" it is why I bought it...so "use" it I do. Definitely makes great cinnamon rolls, pizza rolls, pizza, toast...etc, as we've done all of those. Enjoy!!!! The oven will give you some different food/menu choices on your campouts.

Name:	278257_4789027573531_1879417330_o.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	71027

Name:	1074818_4857705290431_2099216419_o.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	71028
                        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

People must have way better baking skills than me. I had one of those ovens and I hated it. Never could get the temperature regulated enough. Everything I ever tried... lasagna, pizzas, rolls... everything came out either burnt or underdone - usually burnt. Of course, that was without a stone, so maybe I should go look for another one and give it another shot.

Comment

Purchased a used Honda Odyssey minivan to be dual purpose daily driver and camping gear hauler. Not counting on the 24 yr old F-150 to last a great many years longer. Just don't think I can pack as much into the van even with the second row seats out and third row down of course. We shall see. I also joined a facebook page for Kodiak canvas tents and that has been really interesting. Bought a 12 ft Kelty tarp so will see the different ways to set that up. It ALWAYS storms at my bluegrass festivals so have to have something wind worthy. Oh and I purchased a porous 10 X 10 ground cloth to be in front of the tent. Water should go through it unlike the outdoor carpet I have used in the past.

Comment

[QUOTE=a65hoosier;48934]Why are you selling your purple tarp? Curious as you appeared to be quite happy with it.

I am completely happy with it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it - except that purple has always been my 2nd color choice. I thought it would be YEARS before I'd be able to get teal fabric, but two weeks ago RipstopByTheRoll announced they can print teal - and there's a sale on this new fabric. I can actually have my 1st choice in color!!! It just happened to be really bad timing for me.

I like the idea of a pizza stone in the oven. Love that idea - thank you. And the aluminum foil idea!

Comment

Working...
                              X