High Tech Garbage Bag Holder and other hacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Tech Garbage Bag Holder and other hacks

Here you go. Simple. Free. Anyone else have some other easy hacks?

Click image for larger version

Name:	39248869_1810528915704100_1502170571327143936_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	73004
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Re: High Tech Garbage Bag Holder and other hacks

I tend to eat small meals several times a day, so it might not work for people who eat big meals, but I use the plates and bowls from Marie Callender's frozen dinners on camping trips. Very lightweight and no paper plate worries about leak-throughs.

Comment

I try to minimize the packaging on food and drink that I bring; then dispose of it (or at least burn out all food odors, residues and leftovers) in the campfire (after the cooking is done); helps keep from attracting critters during the night.
      a couple of years ago I found a cheap spring up (squashes flat for storage) clothes hamper at wallymart
      https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...lors/195500688

Click image for larger version

Name:	25 tent trash can labor day 2016 DSCF0252.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	71066

...works fine for beverage cans and other non burn-ables/recycleables ... Tie a knot in one side of the open end of the trash bag then put it inside and stretch it over the end of the hamper to hold it until the trash build up enough to keep the it there...

Enjoy!

...during fire bans I dig a narrow foot deep or so (I try for 18") cat hole/post hole; all dishwashing water & organic remains get buried there before I crash at night...(washout all cans and food packaging and put them in the trash bag for removal).

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-17-2018, 08:02 AM. Reason: ...during fire bans
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
        I found a cheap spring up (squashes flat for storage) clothes hamper at wallymart
        https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...lors/195500688
        I had beem looking at these, but hadn't pulled the trigger until your post. Thank you.

I painted on recycling and trash symbols on mine since i do a lot of group camping.

Comment

Over this last weekend I figured out that the collapsible trash can (wallymart hamper) needs some weight or the wind will try to knock it over and roll it away...
          I will probably cut a wooden or polycarbonate disc to fit in the bottom to increase the empty weight will still maintaining the collapsibility...

Enjoy
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            Over this last weekend I figured out that the collapsible trash can (wallymart hamper) needs some weight or the wind will try to knock it over and roll it away...
            I will probably cut a wooden or polycarbonate disc to fit in the bottom to increase the empty weight will still maintaining the collapsibility...

Enjoy
            I've had one of those collapsible trashcans since 2013 (Stansport I believe) and I use it periodically depending on how long I'm going to be gone and the number of campers that will be camping. Mine has a stake loop at the bottom. I just stake it down to keep it from blowing away (note: I remove bag/contents at night to prevent critter raids.)
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
              I've had one of those collapsible trashcans since 2013 (Stansport I believe) and I use it periodically depending on how long I'm going to be gone and the number of campers that will be camping. Mine has a stake loop at the bottom. I just stake it down to keep it from blowing away (note: I remove bag/contents at night to prevent critter raids.)
              Yep!... that's (stake it down) what I did over the weekend , at least until it accumulated enough weight to stay put.
              The loops on mine are not very substantial, so I am looking at another alternative (weight).

Enjoy!
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-04-2018, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X