Noah’s Tarp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noah’s Tarp question

Looks like it is due to storm off and on this weekend when we go out. The tents will be under a covered platform but the cooking and picnic areas are out in the open.

I have a covered screen house for the picnic table but I would like to set up the Noah over the campfire/cooking area.

Question is, how high above the flames/cooking area do I need to have it to avoid damage? We plan on cooking with charcoal about four times, and having a fire afterwards.

If you have any photos for reference that would help also.

We do have the Kelty poles (2) to go with it.

(If it helps, you can google image search “Victoria Bryant platform tent sites” for a good idea of the area I’m working with. Non site specific so I’m not sure which one but they are all similar)
    Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
    Nights under the stars:
    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Re: Noah’s Tarp question

Hoosier! Someone needs your expertise here!

Comment

MacGyver - lol---I saw this at lunch and couldn't reply.

sunnymw - The Cabelas adjustable poles I have are 9 footers...the Kelty poles you have will go up to a tad over 8 foot. I have never pitched the Noah directly over a fire (charcoal or wood).

I usually attempt to get one of the pole placements within 2-4 feet of the fire area and run the edge of Noah accordingly so it stays back. This gives me a covered place to sit close enough to tend the fire without having sparks hit the tarp (even being cautious...I have burned-and patched-several small holes in the tarp). I keep the corner pole close to the fire area because it raises the tarp at that location the full length of the adjustable. pole and I can extend guylines without having them over the fire area and/or lines where people walk/sit.

A few pics of various pitches showing my corner pole placement in relation to the fire pit (the site and prevailing winds dictate placement-of everything).

Click image for larger version

Name:	13439098_10205833762273173_5074080936215640630_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	71083Click image for larger version

Name:	41829534_10211524179450046_3449188562111561728_o (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	71084Click image for larger version

Name:	23593612_10209536349275534_3761438980982020271_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	71085

Overall thoughts/ideas:

I don't think 8 foot poles are high enough to prevent damage from sparks if you hang the Noah over a wood fire. You also must be very careful tending a wood fire to minimize sparks (no throwin' a log on the fire). Add in kids which like to poke the fire with a stick (mine did...still do). I think you are asking for sparks and holes if you're overhead using poles. Note: I would be willing to hang the Noah over a charcoal fire at 8 feet.

If you are cooking in the provided fire pit and using charcoal first and then adding wood later for your campfire (I do this...use the after dinner coals to start the evening wood fire)...here are some ideas where you won't have to hang the Noah "over" the fire pit in order to cook and ultimately feed the army if it's raining at dinner cook time. (You can set it up "just off" the fire pit like my pics above).

Bring along a cheapy charcoal grill you can use if it's raining. You can set this up under the Noah out of the weather and cook on charcoal (no sparks).

Bring meals that can be either fire cooked...or on a cast iron skillet/griddle, pots/pans on the camp stove if the weather doesn't cooperate for a fire (I've done this).

Have a variety of meals you bring where you can substitute quickly on any given day. For example, Fire Grilled A meal (which you were planning cooking today) can be switched if it's pouring out with Stove Top B meal (which was tomorrow nights dinner) but can be cooked with pots/pans/skillets on the stove. Flexible menus allow you to adjust to weather conditions. I always bring along an entire extra dinner, or more, that is stove top---even if all of our meals are planned to be cooked via charcoal/fire. Many times this is a few Mountain House meals (they aren't bad, easy, no clean-up, and my kids love them, and they keep forever) or something that can be made from a can or a box (easy to take back home and doesn't require cooler space). Think...jar of spaghetti sauce and noodles.

Wear a raincoat/umbrella and cook over a slowly fizzling fire hoping the meat finishes (done this).

Or.....Pray a lot and hope the weather clears during meal prep/cook time (which I have also done)
      Last edited by a65hoosier; 09-26-2018, 05:34 PM. Reason: pics didn't load
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Winged it. Hopefully the pic shows up..
        Nights under the stars:

Comment

ETA:

i surrender. It is on instagram. @burchettadventures
          Nights under the stars:

Comment

Originally posted by sunnymw View Post

ETA:

i surrender. It is on instagram. @burchettadventures
            Hey! Wingin' works!!! It looks great! Lots of good pictures via your "@burchettadventures". Fun!!! Neat camp site. Let me see if I can get one of your pics to post:

Click image for larger version

Name:	noah.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	71087
            Last edited by a65hoosier; 09-29-2018, 02:03 PM.
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X