Bikepacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bikepacking

My brother has gotten into bikepacking and has invited me to come with him and his son next weekend. He has an extra bike for me to use and we will be hammock camping on the 3 day trip. I have a hammock but will be buying a rain tarp. I am a little excited to try this type of camping because I usually camp alone and don't really see the need for an actual tent if the hammock works well. He has also suggested I get a Camelbak and sleeping bag which I will be ordering today.

Do any of you have any experience you would like to share or suggestions on equipment I might need. The trip is 3 days and 115 miles.

thanks,
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Bikepacking

If you get into it, invest in a good bicycle seat. Will save you a lot of discomfort.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I bought a new mummy sleeping bag, Camelbak with rain cover and a hammock rain fly. Today my brother text me that he forgot he has to work this weekend. WTF.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
        I bought a new mummy sleeping bag, Camelbak with rain cover and a hammock rain fly. Today my brother text me that he forgot he has to work this weekend. WTF.
        I would go toilet paper his house on my way out to a nice solo trip somewhere.

Comment

I agree. Maybe egg his car too. :666:
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
            I would go toilet paper his house on my way out to a nice solo trip somewhere.
            Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
            I agree. Maybe egg his car too. :666:
            He's a cop.

Its gonna work out. we are going on a 1 night trip.
            – E. B. White

Comment

Turns out it was a REALLY good thing our plans changed. I completely underestimated just how out of shape I am. :D There is no way I was going to be able to ride the 100+ miles my brother had planned. We ended up going less then 10 and I was spent. I do a lot of walking at work, and I do it in 100+ degree heat but biking uses different muscles. I almost threw up towards the end. Not to mention that I am unaccustomed to sitting on a bike seat. My butt still hurts 2 days later. That is the bad part.

The good part is that I had a lot of fun hanging out with my brother and nephew. Hammock camping is really cool. Definitely more comfortable then the floor of my tent. Also, while biking may not be for me backpacking might be my new thing. I, in fact, CAN walk a long way and the thought of camping where there is nobody else for miles around is very appealing.

My new sleeping bag worked out great. I was afraid I would feel to confined in a mummy bag but it I was roomy and warm. And for $70 I feel like I got a great deal.

Also, I am a Cardinals fan. Don't know if I mentioned that.
              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
              X