Do you have a favorite camping hat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have a favorite camping hat?

A lot depends on the circumstances----wearing a backpack isn't so kind to a wide brimmed Stetson, but the ubiquitous trucker's cap doesn't provide much UV protection, and yet a wide brim Stetson will easily fan oxygen for building a fire. I've seen straws and fedoras and all sorts of caps----even Robin Hood caps---- in camp grounds over the years. Lately my favorite type of camping hat is an aged olive drab GI "boonie" my wealthy uncle gave me long ago, or more recently a Solar Eclipse from Costco which my Dermatologist strongly recommended. It's comfortable, cool, water repellant, one size fits all, washable and has a chin strap so the wind doesn't take it away. Rated for UV protection with a good brim to protect one's neck and ears. They're also cheap so I won't shed a tear if I lose it.
    And it doesn't make me look stupid, or at least not as stupid as I really am.
    In cold weather, I'll press a wool watch cap (also a gift from my wealthy uncle) into service.
    Do you have a favorite camping hat? What do you like about it? Any sentimental attachments to it?

I too have used boonie hats for years; my current one is, I believe, a medium width brim boonie style made in Australia (I think). It was given tome by a (now deceased friend because it was too big for him.

I like the sun & rain protection of the brim (haven't used a backpack in years so the brim width is not a problem).
    I don't ever recall fanning a fire with my hat; although I have, occasionally used it as a wind break while lighting a bit of tinder.
    I prefer its crushabliity without damage rather than ruining a Stetson, if it gets soot/sweat/water stained its not an issue to wash it.
    Head lamps and hats do not seem to work well for me, especially with brimmed hats.

I have worn a boonie hat so long that it has become a bit of a trade mark, recognized by some people before they can see my face.

In cold weather I, too, use and sleep in a stocking/watch cap.

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

For awhile I had one of those Brazilian truck tarp hats---no chin strap but it fit well enough until the wire that stiffens the brim broke and poked out. I returned it and they sent me a replacement but that one didn't fit---it was way too tight. A pity as they are a good hat otherwise.

Comment

The hat in my avatar was made by the now defunct company Watership Imperial. It's called The Cruz and was, for years, my signature hat and definitely a great camping and fishing hat. Unfortunately, the brim broke because it was so wide that the rear edge kept rubbing on chairs when I sat down which led to the bead inside to poke through. (Repair issue is a whole 'nother story) The hats were sold by a company called Sungrubbies. A few years ago they had some Chinese company try to duplicate it when Watership went down and the result was horrendous. The stitching was all wrong, the brim a completely different shape and the crown all bunched up and anything but true to size.

So, fast forward a bit and I've been wearing a Tilley LTM2 Airflo. That is, until I gave Sungrubbies another chance and ordered another Cruz - fully expecting to return it. Well... it's close enough to the original that I'm keeping it as just a sun/camping/fishing hat. The Tilley is my everyday topper.

Comment

I had not much campings, and every time I had different hat. You guys encouraged me to have this special thing :D

Comment

I have a favorite camping hat and that is Airflo Broad Brim Hat. I like this hat because of this style of hat was for protection. It does a great job protecting my face, neck, and ears from direct sunlight.

Comment

Working...
            X