I do prefer camping, but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do prefer camping, but....

sometimes there isn't enough time for a real wilderness experience. Even planning a humble picnic afield may be too much of a challenge however lunch or brunch on the deck of a lakeshore caf

... sounds like you need to go CAMPING; and get your life back in order...

My minimal luncheon;
    go out the door,
    Jump in vehicle
    motor to the deli & get food.
    stop by the gas station and fill the vehicle up.
    motor about 20 miles (closer to 15) mostly on dirt roads.
    ...get out the food and have lunch while enjoying the woods...
    Get back in the vehicle and go home.

A weekend stay is just a matter of bringing more supplies & equipment (takes an additional 20 minutes to load).

Freeing up time is easy Just tell everyone they are out of luck 'cause you are going camping; its a matter of getting your priorities straight and keeping them there.

Enjoy!

2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Camping does take a bit of a preparation. I've been camping for few years now and feel I'm still learning. I didn't know my first tent was not rainproof, even though it had a rain fly. Guess what happened when it rained? It was a disaster. Now I have the proper tent.

Comment

If I can get to a nice lakeside cafe for lunch, then I'm far enough away from home that I could be camping instead.

For me, if I want to be out in nature, then I make the commitment to do so.

In the past couple years, my camping behaviors have changed. Mostly because I am retired now. Before retirement, I would go camping for a long weekend up to two weeks just to get away from the hassles of life and re-charge.

Since retirement, my home has become my retreat. While working, being at home just reminded me of all those things I needed to do that I didn't have time because I worked - creating more stress. Now, I have time to do those things AND still have time to relax and re-charge.

With that change, my camping is more about traveling and sightseeing than just kicking back in the wilderness. I am visiting National Parks - splitting my time seeing all the sights and relaxing at camp (all my travel includes down time).

​​​
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
        X