Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Kind of Ice Do You Use?

Howdy,
    Many have asked what is the best form of ice(long term or weekend) should I use for camping? I(the fox, use block ice for general cooling but ice cube ready(in bags) for drinks. What do you use? And at the same time, how many coolers do you take with you? We take two but have been scaling it down to one for weekends and two for an extended camp.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Ice

I have had good luck with ice in bags so far for weekend trips

Comment

I wish I could find block ice around here. The last Block Ice House closed here a couple of years ago. It was quickly sold and torn down to make way for high priced condos.

If I am camping where I have hook ups I will bring a small Dorm type fridge to keep perishable things in. I will buy bag ice for drinks. Someone may want to check into dry ice for long term storage of frozen foods while they travel.

I take 2 or 3 coolers with me depending on where I go.

Harry

Comment

Howdy harryb,

Glad you chimed in, the more the better. Here's an answer that might help you. What we do is to pour tap water into a heavy-duty deep plastic box, like a lock-n-lock. We put that plastic-box into the freezer until it hardens. Take out the frozen ice block by running hot water over the outside of the plastic container and wrap the block of ice in a plastic grocery bag and keep it in the freezer until we go camping. We usually take a couple of these home-made blocks of ice when we go camping. If you are camping for a week or two bagged ice in small cubes can become a bother. There is usually a couple of ways to skim a rock over the water that's mine anyone else, please?
        Last edited by renodesertfox; 04-30-2009, 04:26 PM.

Comment

VDF, my father used to use that method of making block ice when he fished - we ran a small Mullet Boat ont he coast, catching a few hundred pounds of mullet andother fish each weekend. Needed a lot of ice!
          He had two outdoor freezers - one chest and one stand-up - had them packed with plastic washtubs.
          His in-boat cooler was double-thick styrofoam inside a plywood box - that ice would last for days!
          We had a local block ice place that became a food "privision" company, but then finally closed. I guess folks just don't use the block ice much anymore.
          I use an occasional bag of crushed ice in a soft-cooler, for get-togethers with buddies.
          But since I camp from the bike, I can't carry much ice.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Howdy BD,
            Maybe it was your pops that taught me, there was a time I spent at Camp Swampy(home of Beetle Bailey), Fort Stewart, Georgia. Heehee!:D

Comment

We use one cooler with crushed ice for bottled water, etc. that won't fit in the refridge. Also gives me ice for my Martinis.

If you do have a freezer, these (from Camping World) are great.

That is what happens when you camp for years . . . suddenly you will not even think of camping without ice for cocktail time.

Regards,

Keith

Comment

Working...
              X