Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Green Is Your Camping?

Howdy,
    Since we've moved now into the 21st century how environmental have you become in your camping ways?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I am a staunch believer in "leave no trace!". Pack it in, pack it out!

I try to ensure I don't mess up the land, and try to remove all traces I was there, including wiping out campfire evidence.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Howdy BD,
      Thanks for chiming in almost directly! Yep, gotta agree with you whole-heartedly! Leave no trace is our motto too! Even at an organized campgrounds we are clean freaks! :eek:

Comment

I'm like everyone here, Leave the earth as you found it, I think propane is pretty environment friendly, and I don't leave trash behind, I want my nephew to be able to enjoy camping as I did once I'm thinking I'm going to be to old when hes in his 20's if hes only 2 now.
        My cooking site!

Comment

We are pretty much the same............recycle as much as possible, and DO NOT use the green propane cylinders.
          I don't know if the laws are the same in the US as here, but doing very simple things (taking fallen dead trees out of the bush in a provincial park) can get you jail time.

Comment

Originally posted by ontariocamper View Post
            We are pretty much the same............recycle as much as possible, and DO NOT use the green propane cylinders.
            I don't know if the laws are the same in the US as here, but doing very simple things (taking fallen dead trees out of the bush in a provincial park) can get you jail time.
            Wow, Really?

Jail time for the green canisters?
            My cooking site!

Comment

I know that if you refill and transport them (I assume it would have to be like an underground business) you are liable to 1/2 Million fine.
              Just average joe doing it with 1 or 2 of them would probably get you less.
              The parks encourage people NOT to use them as they are classed as HAZMAT here...........very hard to dispose of.
              The other thing that is very eye opening in our Provincial Parks, is that a park ranger or superintendent has every right and power as a Provincial Police Officer.

Comment

Howdy OC,
                That's a very interesting subject you have brought up, the power of park rangers. In some parks within the borders of the United States have the same responsibilities as metro police officers, but at the same time there are some national parks here in this country who never want to get involed or help it's citizenery in a particular place, go figure? I guess it depends on the park and what responsibilities have been laid upon it's table. It seems that some more remote places the park rangers are more friendly because they really don't get a lot of traffic through their area of jurisdiction. That would be an interesting subject to discuss.

On a recent boon-doggle into the National Wildlife Desert Range just north of Las Vegas, that is the largest federally protected area in the lower 48-states, roughly just over 1 million acres, I was stopped by a park ranger to check that I didn't have any firearms or other contraband. He was very nice and courteous about the entire check, while the Zion National Park Ranger that I also had a run-in with last year was not a very kind man and told me that if he had found anything out of place he would arrest me on the spot. Luckily for me, I escaped his methods with nothing more than a stern lecture! Guess, it boils down to the make-up of a certain individual?

Comment

like BD and others I believe in "pack it in and pack it out" from backpacking days. I use mostly state parks and leave the site clean. The refreshing part is that I generally find it that way.
                  This has turned out to be a very interesting thread. Keeping up with the rules being different or changing is most important.
                  thanks
                  2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
                  2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
                  I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

The only thing that does not pollute is the remaining of the food. Any other kind of garbage should be recycled.

Comment

Tesla..........you are right in that the food doesn't pollute, but that is a surefire way (here in northern Ontario Canada anyways) to start attracting bears.
                      Parks Canada always stress to not leave any food or anything odourous out/behind.
                      Believe it or not, bears love toothpaste!!

Comment

Tesla..........you are right in that the food doesn't pollute, but that is a surefire way (here in northern Ontario Canada anyways) to start attracting bears.
                        Well, here in Greece we have no bear problems.

Parks Canada always stress to not leave any food or anything odourous out/behind.
                        What about digging a hole and buring it?

Believe it or not, bears love toothpaste!!
                        You know better than me, i have no reason to doubt.

Comment

recycle

I Definitely recycle whenever I camp. I had never heard that green propane cylinders were hazardous. thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
                            Howdy OC,
                            That's a very interesting subject you have brought up, the power of park rangers. In some parks within the borders of the United States have the same responsibilities as metro police officers, but at the same time there are some national parks here in this country who never want to get involed or help it's citizenery in a particular place, go figure? I guess it depends on the park and what responsibilities have been laid upon it's table. It seems that some more remote places the park rangers are more friendly because they really don't get a lot of traffic through their area of jurisdiction. That would be an interesting subject to discuss.

On a recent boon-doggle into the National Wildlife Desert Range just north of Las Vegas, that is the largest federally protected area in the lower 48-states, roughly just over 1 million acres, I was stopped by a park ranger to check that I didn't have any firearms or other contraband. He was very nice and courteous about the entire check, while the Zion National Park Ranger that I also had a run-in with last year was not a very kind man and told me that if he had found anything out of place he would arrest me on the spot. Luckily for me, I escaped his methods with nothing more than a stern lecture! Guess, it boils down to the make-up of a certain individual?
                            Vegas, that ranger makes all rangers look bad. We have a few here in San Diego County - getting rowdy with us about our music (neighbors didn't complain and were happy with us), crumpled up our US flag (Culpepper Minute Men) and left it on our table because it was attached to a BUSH, etc. Firearms are contraband? What's up with that?
                            Last edited by tplife; 07-24-2009, 11:39 AM.
                            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                            X