National Park System Quiz 66: Cemeteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Park System Quiz 66: Cemeteries

1. True or false? The National Park Service is responsible for keeping the eternal flame lit at John F. Kennedy’s grave in Arlington National Cemetery.

2. True or false? Battleground National Cemetery in Rock Creek Park is one of America’s smallest national cemeteries.

3. True or false? Most of the national cemeteries maintained by the National Park Service remain open for additional burials that meet strict eligibility criteria.

4. True or false? There are more than 20 cemeteries in Mammoth Cave National Park.

5. True or false? People are prohibited from visiting historic cemeteries within Great Smoky National Park unless they have the express written permission of the National Park Service and designated family or community representatives.

6. True or false? African Burial Ground National Monument is accessible from the Freedom Trail in Boston, Massachusetts.

7. True or false? St. Paul’s Church National Historic Site has one of the oldest cemeteries in the United States.

8. True or false? The enabling legislation for Yosemite National Park specified that all cemeteries situated within the park’s borders had to be removed before the park could be opened to the public.

9. Which of the following U.S. Presidents is buried in a cemetery located within a National Park System unit that bears his name?
    a. Lyndon B. Johnson
    b. Harry S. Truman
    c. Abraham Lincoln
    d. Theodore Roosevelt

10. On November 19, 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivered his Gettysburg Address at the formal dedication of the ______ , which was later renamed Gettysburg National Cemetery.
    a. Soldier’s National Cemetery at Gettysburg
    b. Grand Army of the Republic Cemetery at Gettysburg
    c. Cemetery Ridge National Cemetery
    d. Seminary Ridge National Cemetery

Extra Credit Question:

11. A footpath that leads up a hill near the house takes you to a gravesite. Mounted on a stone monument there is a grave marker that reads: "I got few things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice -- nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." The sculpted face of the grave’s occupant adorns the top of the plaque-like grave marker. The man’s name is there too, of course. Who was this man?

Super Bonus Question:

12. If Congress were to establish a “Famous American Burials National Historic Site,” a good place to do it would be in Coloma, California, a tiny San Francisco Bay community with 1,191 live residents and about 1.5 million dead ones. Among the permanent residents of Coloma’s 17 cemeteries are all of the following EXCEPT:
    a. William “Buffalo Bill” Cody (1846-1917)
    b. Wyatt Earp (1848-1929)
    c. Levi Strauss (1829-1902)
    d. Joe Dimaggio (1914-1999)

Answers here:
    http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...-66-cemeteries

My name is not in any of the listed cemeteries. I hope you are not either
    Last edited by jpurdy; 08-08-2009, 04:31 PM.
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
    2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
    I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times
Working...
X