"necessaries"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "necessaries"

Mountainmen lived outside on most of their travels. The word Necessaries meant life our death to them.
    Today the modern camper might consider items such as Coffee, Bottled Water or a ?
    Kayak? Necessary?
    You can't eat it or repel varmints with it. But to our way of thinking. It must be with us, no matter where we go.
    Why? If a person is a photo buff. Enjoys getting upclose to nature or is a fisherman. It means freedom to explore.
    Small, easy to transport. Nine feet six inches (9'6") Ours travels stowed in the middle hall of our tiny Roadtrek. Secured to the galley side, it leaves the enterance to the head open. Sodas and food are stored behind the seat in a cooler.
    Taking up kayaking at age 65 and being a tad clumbsy, if we can master it, anyone can. Admit, after 2/3 hours in my boat, have found it necessary to find a low bank and crawl out. We ain't proud.

Howdy angler57,
    From one kayak owner to another, thank ye!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Me and a buddy are just beginning this stage of our outdoor adventures too - he bought a Hobie kayak and I opted for the more open Canoe. Check my pics in the Gallery, of my first 'maiden voyage' - testing it and seeing how it handles. Still developing ideas on how to stow and carry the 'necessities' of boat camping, for our eventual river trips.
      I have a used canoe paddle (from the outfitter I got my canoe from, but will likely get the two-blade yak paddle later. I borrowed my buddy's yak paddle - I like it!
      I did get a deep cycle battery and plan to get a small trolling motor - but that will be for going against the current, and 'rounding the point' on the coast, where the current can get stronger. Won't worry about it for awhile.
      My canoe has a good 800 lb. load limit, so carrying enough gear to camp comfortably won't be a problem.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

As a side-bar to the canoe and kayaks topic. I recall reading a history of the Mackinaw
        Straits concerning canoes many years ago. The Sturgeon Bay island area. Lake Michigan was then known as Lake Ilinese. And this enterance into now, Lake Michigan was known for its quirky changing winds and killing currents during quickly forming lake storms.
        Seems local Ottawa and Potawomis were angry at a group of French Voyageurs.
        Using several large hunting canoes,(Would carry appx. 20) they began pursuit of a canoe load of Frenchmen.
        As the Frenchmen turned south into Lake (Ilinese) Michigan a terriblw storm from the
        north west, kicked up.
        Never a safe time to travel any of the Great Lakes.
        Knowing full well all the dangers involved in remaining in the chase, the Indians entered into Ilinese as the Frenchmen put ashore.
        The Indians were not as lucky. Their canoes were lost and all were drowned.
        The full truth of this story, I do not know. But, it sure sounds possible to me .

Comment

800 pound load limit

Having done a Louisville (Lou-a-vil) Kentucky to Cincinnati Ohio canoe trip. With only one portage, at Florence, Indiana (Markland Damn) will say this.
          River trips require care and added attention to every pound you may choose to carry.
          Carry being the KEY word. Each portage will have its own special challenge.
          Varmits, hills, creek fords, and the list goes on.
          River trips can become more interesting the more you learn of the lands you are traveling thru.
          But, My Goodness they are fun. But, a lot more fun if you don't go to bed exhausted every night.

Comment

Working...
          X