Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying A Knife

Howdy,
    Even small knives are forbidden on all commercial airliners and are among the illegal imports that may be confiscated at airports by customs staff even if packed in luggage. The knife laws of different countries vary, but are generally strict in Western countries.

Knife laws in U.S. cities vary tremendously. In Texas, for example, individuals may carry knives openly or concealed so long as they are single-edged, and are not daggers, switchblades, or gravity knives (balisong legality is questionable — there have been convictions). In some other States, fixed-blade knives are banned, open carry is banned, and sometimes concealed carry of anything except pocketknives is banned. Cities have ordinances further restricting these laws; in San Antonio, TX, it is a violation to carry a folding knife having a locking blade. In some metro areas such as Washington, D.C., going into office buildings or museums, or simply loitering, carrying even small 3" folding knives can be problematic. Other restricted areas in the U.S. include court buildings and federal property (the latter of which technically has a limit of 2" for blades).

Carrying knives in public is generally forbidden by law in many countries. Exceptions may be made for hunting knives, and for knives used for work-related purposes (e.g. chef's knives). Automatic knives (switchblades) are almost universally banned from civilian carry if not possession. Balisongs (butterfly knives) are only slightly less stigmatized, and tend to be treated as switchblades by unfriendly law enforcement agencies. Most Western European nations are very unfriendly toward all knives other than small pocket knives and similarly small tools, which are nonetheless not allowed on planes or in certain other venues. Even multitools like the SwissTool, Gerber multitools, and Leatherman multitools are often frowned upon, due to their having relatively large blades and/or locking ability.

For a complete list of knife laws, please visit Bernard Levine's page of State Knife Laws.
    Some of this information is taken from the Wikipedia.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I believe my CWP covers carrying knives.

Comment

This is interesting. I really thought the locking blade in San Antonio was odd.
      I wonder what provisions are there for sportsmen? It seems that knives have more, or as many restrictions as handguns.
      2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
      2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
      I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

We are still somewhat free in sunny Florida. Automatic knives and switchblades are LEGAL here. Hey, with this many Cubans, they couldn't ban them, it's almost their national dress. I sometimes carry a nifty little Benchmade autoknife - in those situations when you have one hand occupied and you REALLY need to open a knife, they are great!

I have always seen a good pocket knife as an indispensible tool for ANY real man (and a lot of women!).

Airport security is really getting silly/stupid. I worked baggage checkpoint security in the 90's, we were a private contract company ('rent-a-cops'), we wore blue blasers rather than LEO-style uniforms and carried NO tacticool toys. We were to make the passengers as comfortable as possible while still maintaining sucurity - really not hard to do with good training. Getting good people was problematic - we were paid minimum with NO bennies - so we ended up with mostly retired or moonlighting state employees like I was, or young people working their way through school.
        I had one young man come to pick someone up one night - he was dressed like a GI Joe wannabe, black T-shirt and beret, camo pants and bloused combat boots, and a Kabar knife on his hip. The two old lady co-workers said, "Oh, this one will give us trouble!' I said, "No he won't."
        I told him he'd have to give me his knife before I could allow him through. He looks at me, and hands the Kabar over. He made it through the metal detector okay. When he returned with his visitor, I handed him his knife back and they left - not a problem! The old ladies were surprised. Hey, I'd been around guys like that for years in the military.

Nowadys, he'd have been tackled by a full SWAT team....... :rolleyes:
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
        X