Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno Or Bust

Howdy Campateers,
    Vegasdesertrose's Reno telephone interview was 2-19-10(Friday). Today is Monday 2-22-10 and Reno has made an offer! Yippee! It will take about 60 days for us to get our act together, leasing out this property and we have already started the online search for living quarters there and have a great home to lease up there picked out. Desertrose picked out the house while I was solo camping. The house we have here is 3700 square feet, way too big now for just two, but the house up there is 1200 square feet so we are down-sizing like it's tomorrow!:eek:

In the vicinity of Reno, NV there are at least 20 nearby lakes within 100 mile radius(California/Nevada), and that doesn't include Lake Tahoe! It will be perfect for us! Perfect for kayaking and camping! It's still Nevada too! So our camping is on hold till the move is made:(. It is also closer to Mt. Shasta...the first fourteener that I climbed 100 years ago when I was 19.:D Winters or colder there, but it's the camping that we will love. We have planned to go camping there anyway this summer and by then we will already be up there. It is also only 4 hours from San Franscisco and wine country. Just thought I'd share and keep everyone posted!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Cool! Hoping it works out great for y'all! Sounds like a win-win situation.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Thanks Lance your vote means a lot for us! We will make it work!

Comment

There is nothing like the excitement of a pending move. The plus is the new camping possibilities. when you tire of the Nevada, California wine country then you also have Idaho and Oregon. Think of the jeep'in you can do also. This sounds like you've won the lotto.
        Congrats
        2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
        2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
        I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Com'in from you John I have...lots of work to be done but I'll be here just as before. We are really looking forward to the change!

Comment

Congratulations on the move!
            My Other Interest

Comment

Thanks Silver! When you get down to Yucca Valley, keep me posted on the spring bloom...I could blow down there for a short weekend and shoot flowers of 2010. I really like JTNP better than anywhere else in the greater Mojave Desert because in JT there is a great concentration of flowers in one small area than all of rest of the Mojave. If I get the chance I would camp at Bell. No phone, no pool, not a single luxury and that is the way I like it! Ha Ha! Then in late fall when the harvest in underway in Napa most likely we'll be there to check that out and so your invivitation is on as far as we are concerned. We could meet somewhere for lunch, separate checks of course! Ha Ha!

Comment

Brent, does Reno still have the air races and air shows? That is a marvelous photo op!

Comment

Yes they do Big Dawg! Hopefully, I'll be there to shoot that too! There is also a botanical garden where I can shoot flowers under wind controlled conditions, a small zoo and a white water kayaking area if we ever (never) want to get back into white-water kayaking. Back in my teenage years I did white-water kayaking without a helmet and then with a football helmet. Kayakers these days have it easy...plenty of times I would get out of the water and I'd have blood all over my face, then it would hurt. While paddling, I didn't even notice it.:rolleyes: We are going up there mid-March to find the house to lease and start getting things ready. I think it will be late April or May before I say bye bye to the hot Mojave and enjoy the cooler climate of the Great Basin Desert & The Sierra Nevada Mountains!!:D

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
                    Thanks Silver! When you get down to Yucca Valley, keep me posted on the spring bloom...I could blow down there for a short weekend and shoot flowers of 2010. I really like JTNP better than anywhere else in the greater Mojave Desert because in JT there is a great concentration of flowers in one small area than all of rest of the Mojave. If I get the chance I would camp at Bell. No phone, no pool, not a single luxury and that is the way I like it! Ha Ha! Then in late fall when the harvest in underway in Napa most likely we'll be there to check that out and so your invivitation is on as far as we are concerned. We could meet somewhere for lunch, separate checks of course! Ha Ha!

Sounds like a plan!
                    My Other Interest

Comment

This past weekend 2-14-10 Reno got 24" of snow! Brrrrr! But we'll like it, so close to the Sierra, it's calling. It's "The Biggest Little City In The World" for sure but we tire of Vegas! High Desert camping and the Sierra too...I've died and on my way to heaven! This down-sizing is a lot of work, but can't take nothing when one kicks the bucket so who cares?:D

Comment

Good luck Brent, I hope you make it there..
                        My cooking site!

Comment

In reality, I'm just tagging with my bride who works as a caregiver in the dept of un-healable wounds, at the VA Hospital. Diabetic foot ulcers and stomas. Her boss was the chief of staff here at the VA hospital and he is retiring in June. The new chief of staff, my bride doesn't like so she has looked elsewhere. We are looking forward to the change simply because all we like to do is camp and kayak. Down here in Vegas there are only two lakes, Lake Mead & Lake Mojave and they are huge lakes. Up in Reno there are dozens of places to camp and kayak. And a lot more wildlife that I would like to photograph. We don't go on the strip anymore (it's a zoo)! And we haven't been downtown in over 15 years. A couple of good places to eat near the strip once in-awhile. Our favorite places on the strip have been closed because tourists haven't gone to them. I could care less about all the hype and junk that Vegas is made out to be.

My working past life was working as an Underground Mining/Industrial Photographer for the Dept. of Energy at the Nevada Test Site where is photographed the construction and the re-entry into underground nuclear tests. The late President Reagan signed a treaty with Russia back in 1992 ending those tests. I hung-on and retired in 2005 (worked on the Yucca Mtn Project) filling in spare time with freelance photography work in and around Vegas.

Now instead of having to drive over 400 miles to go camping where there are nice lakes and trees we will only have to drive a short distance(less than 100 miles). And we want to kayak Lake Tahoe! Thanks for all the well-wishing! It's great...Still don't know the actual date that we are leaving Vegas but it will be soon! Thanks friends!:o

Comment

A shorter drive = More time to PLAY! Good on ya!

Comment

Reno It Is, By Cracky!

Reno VA called this morning and offered "Desert Rose" a job! She accepted it!
                              Going to Reno this weekend instead of camping, look at homes to rent close to the VA. Here she drives 45 miles one way to work. We have seen a couple of homes that are less than two miles from the VA in Reno. Yippee! A road Trip!!:D

Desert Rose's reporting date is April 1st, fools day! Wouldn't ya know it! I'll be here in Vegas till maybe 1 May to make final departure smooth and easy! Here tell the camping won't resume until the snow melts in the Sierra! Maybe by July or August! Ha Ha! Sierra snow pack this year is over 200" and that my friend is a lot of snow!
                              Last edited by renodesertfox; 03-04-2010, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X