Necessary Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necessary Journey

Recently a death made it necessary to take a journey had wanted to do for years.
    Time after time passing a sign on Hwy 69 north to Canada have said one day will
    have to pull off and visit Fairmont, Indiana.
    Many readers am sure know who Garfield is, his creator was born in Fairmont.
    Younger readers may not know another famous name from there.
    In the 50's the name of James Dean was world famous. Actor. And, fast living Dean was speeding toward an early death. Dying in a car crash on his way to an auto race.
    Fairmont has a gift shop and museum of Dean's life. Nice.
    It also has a museum run by the city of Garfield and Dean history. Very nice.
    But, for me the one street (downtown) business area was the high point of the visit. Oh yes and the narrow cobble stone streets.
    Fairmont has no box stores or fast food joints. That is very nice. Sadly it has no drus store. Did I mention it has a 3,000 plus change population.
    Nearly all the homes are old. With many large and lovely frame homes that could not be built today. Expense and finding skilled craftsman would make it so.
    Nothing really there for most. But, for a few it is a journey into the way folks used to live. Everyone in town pretty well knows everyone else. Many elders attended school together.
    Oh yes poured rain every couple hours. Camping in Gas City just up the road that
    night was interesting. Twister warning all night. High winds. Driving rains and hail that covered the ground turning it white.
    Note: Imagine a box full of pea gravel shaken next to each ear. Thats hail on a fiberglass roof. Just spring weather in Hoosierland.

Re: Necessary Journey

It sounds like you had an interesting time. I love the small town atmosphere, my ranches are in small towns, right about 2000 folks and everyone does know everyone. Thanks for sharing.
    Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Comment

Re: Necessary Journey

Wife and I have neer gotton across the big Miss.
      My oldest, dearest and best friend and his wife moved ot Texas. (Work)
      Nrw Braunfels Texas.
      He loved it.
      He was a horseman and bullrider. From Indiana.
      He got me started wearing cowboy boots and shirts. (gifts).
      Have three nice pairs of boots. One snake skin.
      just can't get into the hat thing.After wearing steel pots just don't wear hats any
      longer.
      Missed his funeral, or would have been to Texas. Wifes father was living with us.
      At that moment he was in the hospital dying.
      Texas from all his words sounds great.

Comment

Working...
      X