National Park System Quiz 55: Climbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Park System Quiz 55: Climbing

1. True or false? The first successful climb of Mt. McKinley, the highest mountain in North America, was completed before anyone attained the summit of Mt. Rainer.

2. True or false? The Climbing Management Plan for Yosemite National Park requires climbers to buy a climbing permit before attempting to climb El Capitan or Half Dome.

3. True or false? The first successful ascent of The Nose route on Yosemite’s El Capitan took more than 40 days, but speed climbers can now climb the Nose in less than three hours.

4. True or false? American climbers typically use the Yosemite Decimal System (YDS) to rate the length and technical difficulty of climbing routes.

5. True or false? Ice climbing was much more popular in the national parks during the 1950s and 1960s than it is now.

6. The first ascent of the Diamond, a 1,000-foot vertical wall on Longs Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park, was accomplished in 1960 after
    a. new climbing techniques were perfected in Colorado.
    b. the winter snows melted early.
    c. the NPS lifted its climbing restrictions.
    d. an easy route was discovered.

7. Renowned for its superb rock climbing, ______ has thousands of named climbing routes, including some that are rated extremely high for technical difficulty.
    a. Saguaro National Park
    b. Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
    c. Mojave National Preserve
    d. Joshua Tree National Park

8. A crux called Friction Pitch is the toughest problem to solve on upper ____, a classic Grand Teton route that is accessible via Wall Street.
    a. Exum Ridge
    b. Liberty Ridge
    c. South Buttress
    d. North Buttress

9. In 1957, Royal Robbins, Mike Sherrick and Jerry Gallwas completed the first grade VI climb in North America on a Half Dome route named
    a. Tangerine Trip
    b. Regular Northwest Face
    c. the Shield
    d. the Snake Dike

10. Warren Harding and his climbing partner, Dean Caldwell, refused an NPS rescue while climbing in Yosemite on a route called
    a. the Wall of the Early Morning Light
    b. the Nose
    c. the Salathe Wall
    d. Mescalito

Extra Credit

11. What famous American climber reportedly said, “If you’re not living on the edge, you’re taking up too much space.”?
    a. Chuck Pratt
    b. Alan Steck
    c. Jim Whittaker
    d. Royal Robbins

Super Bonus Question:

12. More than 200 people have bagged the Seven Summits, a feat that requires scaling the highest peak on each of the seven continents. Can you name the peaks you’d have to climb to gain Seven Summits bragging rights?

answers here:
    http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...iz-56-climbing
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
    2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
    I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Howdy JP,
    You always continue to come up with great off-the-wall camping stuff! I salute you, Sir!! I scored very badly on this quiz, I am glad I already got my BA degree in BS from UNLV in American Labor History. :eek:
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

thanks, maybe I can find one on fly fishing from a kayak.:D
      2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
      2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
      I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Working...
      X