best way to charge battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to charge battery?

we just recently bought a pop up camper and used it for the first time this weekend. The battery didnt last as long as we thought it would and had to borrow someones charger. Do you recommend getting a charger or a solar panel? We usually go for at least 3 days usually a week at a time.

Thanks

An camper battery is critical for operating its lights, the water pump and any other appliances that might be inside and which you rely on for comfortable camping. There are three different options when it comes to charging camper batteries--a charger, a relay and an isolator. Which one is best for you depends on your camping style, your budget and your handiness when it comes to working with your camper's engine.

Chargers
    If your usual style of camping involves going from RV park to RV park where electrical hookups are readily available, a battery charger makes perfect sense for use when your trailer is not in use or is being stored. Make sure to regularly check the water levels in the charger, and that the charger is meant to handle batteries less than 14 volts. Chargers designed for batteries greater than 14 volts will wind up overcharging the battery and boiling off a large portion of the battery water. Battery chargers for camper batteries can be purchased for about $60.

Isolators
    Battery isolators are devices that let the battery charge using the camper's alternator when the engine is running. When the engine is turned off, the camper battery and the alternator are disconnected from one another, or "isolated." Isolators can be purchased at most camping supply stores for about $30.

Relays
    Relays provide an alternate way of charging the camper battery using the same principles as a battery isolator. These basic switching devices connect the engine and camper batteries together when the engine is running via a current that flows when the ignition is turned on. The current stops when the ignition is switched off, effectively disconnecting the two batteries. If you choose to use a battery relay device, be sure it is a continuous duty relay rather than a starting relay. Retailing for just under $50, relays cost a bit more than isolators, but many argue that they are easier to install.

RV Parts & Accessories: http://www.tweetys.com

For solar power you have to decide which is best for you, your wallet and your lifestyle. First of all, a solar panel doesn't "run" anything, it only recharges your battery(s). You need to start by figuring up what you USE.

Number 1 is to minimize your power usage: carry NO 120VAC appliances such as a coffee pot or microwave. A drip-style coffee maker that uses water boiled on the gas stove makes "real" coffee just fine. Lights should be replaced with flourescents to minimize consumption.

Number 2 is to have a good battery that's fully charged. If your Scamp has a converter, I can guarantee that it is NOT suitable for anything except rudimentary battery charging. It won't get your battery fully charged, yet will cook the water from it if you leave it plugged in to shore power at home. If you're to depend on charging the battery with the converter, replace it with an Inteli-Power & Charge Wizard. Besides working very well, it's compact and lightweight. A fully charged battery will take care of your needs for at least a couple of days if you're a bit frugal.

If you want to really KNOW what's going on in your 12VDC system, a good monitor is important. An "eMeter" from Tweety's tracks Amp-Hour usage out of the battery and AH input from the solar panels, so is a true "fuel guage". There are other similar devices that will do the same job, figure a bit under $250.00 for any of 'em.

Number 3 is to get an adaquet-sized solar panel(s), those little battery maintainers won't do the job. You need at least a 50 or 75 watt panel, and a couple might be better. Fortunately, you needn't buy them all at once, you can get one now and another later if you find it inadaquet.

Although you can mount the panel(s) on the roof, a viable alternative is to use an 'A' frame type device and set it (them) on the ground. An advantage to this is that you can aim the panel for optimum efficiency, something that's very important if you're to get maximum output.

Forget running power-hungry appliances such as microwave, coffee pot, or A/C. Only the largest motorhomes or 5th-wheel trailers can support such stuff and even THEY can't run an A/C from their solar systems.

Cost will run about $500.00 for a single 75-watt panel and a controller. You'll want to wire the entire thing with #10 wire to minimize voltage drop and use appropiate connectors if you use the portable panel configuration as I did. If you add the eMeter or equivilant, add $200.00-$250.00. Add another $400.00 or so for a second panel if you need it; that can be done later, as long as your controller is large enough.

It all adds up to about the same as a small Honda generator set, but it's *silent*, not merely "quiet", requires no fuel or maintenance, and will last longer than you're likely to live. You will no doubt become a Generator Nazi, looking down your nose at (and hating) those folks who lug their noisy, stinky, hardware store gensets along just so they can make coffee in the morning, then run them half the night so they can watch TV. The choice is yours to make and this is only general info. Good luck! You could also join my little social group here at camping forums entitled "Generators Haters Club" ha ha, hee hee, ho ho!

btw: sorry for the long explanation but you asked. Welcome to camping forums dot com!:D

I'm a tent camper by nature. I gleened this from a friend who has a trailer camper. I too am interested in solar panels but at present just can't afford them or have extra room in my rig to transport them.
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-13-2010, 12:43 AM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

thank you so much for your detailed response!!!

Comment

Hey RDF..........didn't someone post on here a while back about a power supply for his radio etc......wasn't that a deep cycle battery set up?
        I remember it from the blue tops on it.

Comment

Thanks OC, I do remember the chat! Took a minute to find it! I certainly hope tplife doesn't get too bent from me copying his penmanship here! I really do respect his opinion even though at times I might disagree. He's a great camper, just like you OC! Ontario, thanks again for the kick in the pants, I needed it! The only problem was that his links didn't work. Maybe he'll repost here and share his photos.

tplife's kamp-power 12V system

Here's the Optima Blue-Top that powers my campsite electrical needs. The unit has 10A+ and 20A- fusing on both ends of 2 seperate power circuits. Battery charger-type quick disconnects finish off the connectors, which have heat shrink over crimp connectors. Crimp connectors assure easy field repairs vs. soldering. You can see two Wagan 3-into-1 plugs in use here with a digital voltmeter. Note the if-needed 180W inverter. Not shown is a Radio Shack stepdown adapter 12V - 5.5, 6, 9 and 12V.

The system here powers the Kenwood/Polk music system shown on another thread, as well as up to 3 18" CityLites programmable LED light bars, a portable flashing unit, and a 16-lamp folding LED desklight. Wiht the converters handy there are a lot of devices that can be powered or charged up on the spot. There are 5 open plugs available at once since the digital voltmeter is kept connected in one socket...

Comment

As far as charging the system, more than 3 days means just that. Since you do longer campouts, I think a $200 investment in a solar charging system would be worth the money...Here's a good info link:
            http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/2...er-that-works/

The links seem to work fine...Sure can:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...PARTY011-2.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...PARTY017-2.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...PARTY013-2.jpg
            Last edited by tplife; 05-27-2010, 03:51 PM.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Great info, guys! I got my van's hitch on finally, and can now look forward to trading a buddy out of his old Scamp trailer. It needs a LOT of work - basically a complete gutting of the interior and rebuilt to fit a Big Dawg like me!
              Brent, I copied your treatise into a Word doc and saved it - good place to start!
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

And all along I thought it was a thesis, Lance!

Comment

Maybe is. I ain't no skolar........ :D
                  Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Granted, I function on AAA (GPS), and Nica (led flashlight) batteries when I'm trail pounding, I really enjoyed this thread. In Carson City, I hung out at the far end of the Wally World parking lot. What a cool place that is! Must have been 20 rigs there of various sizes. There are even 5 honey pots there and an open gravel area where people took their dogs.

But, what impressed me was one RV had a very, very silent generator running. I was about 50 feet away from it and truly couldn't tell it was running from inside my van. What an improvement over the "use to be"s that are still out there. The next morning, a man came out of the RV with that generator and I thanked him for having such a quiet machine. he graciously smiled and said, "Your welcome!" That was really cool!
                    Chuck
                    So. Oregon
                    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
                    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
                    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Working...
                    X