Generator recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator recommendations

Hi everyone. I just found this forum while searching for a generator for my pop up. My pop up has a 30 amp service and I am looking for a generator that will run the camper well. I was told last year at lowes, that a 3250 watt would do it. First trip I went on it would not run it. Tripped the breaker everytime i tried to turn the air on. can someone please help me keep from buying the wrong generator again? Thanks!!!

Re: Generator recommendations

The standard rule is, add up the total wattage of all things you want to run at once then double it, because many electric motors require more 'starting' power when first kicking in.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Are you sure you don't have a short circuit in the trailer somewhere?

Comment

A Honda 3000 will generally run any camper ac.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
          The standard rule is, add up the total wattage of all things you want to run at once then double it, because many electric motors require more 'starting' power when first kicking in.
          Thanks for sharing this formula. Never heard of it but it sounds reasonable. I will definitely bear this in mind when looking for a new generator. Important to me is that the generator is quiet and I am not sure which one will be the best considering that it should run quiet. At the moment I am trying to find this out by using generator rentals. I guess this is the best option in order to make sure that I will choose the most quiet one.

Comment

Not always, but in most cases, you will want your RV generator fuel type to match your RV – especially when forgetting about the propane/NG option and talking only about diesel and gasoline. So, if you own a diesel RV the best diesel RV generator is the Generac QuietPac 8,500W.
            RV Park Reviews

Comment

watts/voltage=amps. 3250 watts divided by 120 volts equal 27 amps. Now is 3250 continuous watts or is it peak watts? Peak watts takes into account motor startups. Continuous watts is maximum under normal running conditions.
              And I just saw the OP on this thread is a year old, so I will not waste anymore time on this unless someone else needs me to explain Ohms law.
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Working...
              X