Tent camping the West/Northwest Coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent camping the West/Northwest Coast

I'm a partially disabled former Marine, although I still have most of my physical ability left, and I'll soon be leaving the comforts of civilization for a somewhat extended stay in the backwoods of California. The temperatures in the area I'm considering (around Arcata) are usually highs of 50s and 60s in the summer, occasionally dropping under 30 degrees in the winter. At this point I'm not terribly concerned with preparing for winter, but there is certainly a possibility I'll be out in it. I'm expecting there to be tons of rain and humidity in general.

I can afford decent gear (a $300 tent is no problem), but I would like to get some suggestions as to what works well and is light. Lightness is a critical factor as my back and knees aren't as reliable as they were 10 years ago. Ease of use is also important, and adaptability is key since I'm going to be walking into an unknown situation.

I've been reading older threads, and have taken quite a lot of info from them. My main focus is to find advice on a lightweight but solidly reliable tent, sleeping bag, and backpack. Any information on camping or equipment for people with limited mobility would also be welcomed.

Thank you very much for your time.
    Last edited by CJ USMC; 07-01-2009, 08:56 AM. Reason: Trimmed content a bit

Howdy CJ USMC,
    It might help, if you give up a few more details concerning how much mobility you might have. I use to be a backpacker, I've done the entire John Muir Trail in California, also have hike 5 times the Grand Canyon North to South Rim just to name a couple of major accomplishments. Presently I'm recovering from an old Army Ranger injury and I think people might respond more favorably if you were to spell out the details of your present condition. No one ever wants to give bad advice! At present I'm not even doing any camping but I am planning on hiking the Grand Canyon for my 60th birthday in three years and hopefully by January of next year I'll be okayed by my doc to go tent camping again. For backpacking one really needs to be tip-top physical condition, because it is very expensive to be hauled out of the boonies by someone else, namely a rescue unit. Hope this helps?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

First of all, thanks for your service. And send those old USGI 30-rounders over from your sock drawer. I picked up a Sierra Designs Electron tent early last year at 1/2 price for about $90, and I see them new-in-the-box on Ebay for about that price. It's a bit too tight for two, but for me is an ideal motorcycle-camping tent that's very light, fits right inside my saddlebag with a lot of room to spare inside, and since it's Sierra Designs there's no worries about quality. Easton aluminum poles and decent coverage of the rain fly. The newer version is model RC and I think that means a little more $.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
      X