Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing For A Camping Trip

Howdy,
    Let's face it, not everyone is built for camping. But you've decided to make a go of it because someone invited you or it's a family outing and you can't say no. You've never camped before and you're feeling nervous. The best way to make the most out of these situations is to be prepared. There's no sense in making things more challenging than it has to be.

Preparing for a camping trip is just like preparing for any other trip. You will need to know the resources you have available. For instance, will you be driving to a camp site where you can use your vehicle for storage or will you be backpacking? Obviously, in one scenario you can pile on more luxuries, and in the other scenario you'll need to be more selective in your choices.

It is always a good idea to write out what you require but here are the must haves on any camping trip:

First aid kit
    Cash, credit cards, checks
    Water - either bottled water or a water purifier
    Food - canned or dehydrated or meals ready to eat (civilian MRE)
    Waterproof matches or a butane lighter
    Multipurpose tool such as a Swiss army knife
    Flashlight and batteries
    Wind up radio

The above items describe what should be in an emergency survival kit and it's always a good idea to do dry runs and what better way to check the inventory than by going camping ' just make sure you replenish the items. Depending on the type of camping you're doing, you will work around the emergency kit as the foundation.

Instead of adding items haphazardly to what you will be bringing camping, make multiple lists depending on groupings. Groupings can include a list for toiletries, clothing, shelter, cooking tools, food and water supplies and other miscellaneous items. Here are examples for each list.

Toiletries

Toothbrush, toothpaste
    Toilet paper
    Shampoo, soap
    Comb, brush
    Mirror
    Towels
    Deodorant
    Wet Wipes
    Flip Flops

Clothing

Rain gear
    Extra clothing
    Boots
    Nightwear
    Swimwear

Shelter

Tent, tent poles, stakes
    Tarp
    Ground cloth
    Hammer, shovel
    Sleeping bags
    Lantern

Cooking Tools

Pots and pans
    Camp stove
    Fuel, lighter fluid, charcoal
    Spatula
    Plates, cups
    Utensils
    Coolers

Food and Water Supplies

Meats, fruits and vegetables
    Canned food
    Can opener
    Meals Ready to Eat
    Bottled jugs
    Water purification tablets
    Water pump system

Miscellaneous Items

Hunting, fishing licenses
    GPS
    Keys
    Insect repellent

The above lists serve only as examples and should be customized according to your camp surroundings. Furthermore, always remember to leave notice of your whereabouts and when you'll be expected back to family members not accompanying you on the trip.

When a camping trip is well planned out, it makes for a more enjoyable experience for all involved!
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 01-08-2010, 12:36 AM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

A couple items to add, for those of us with bad backs......

An inflatable air matress or thick foam 'self-inflating' pad.

A folding camp chair - much more comfy than a rock or log......

Also, a good 'bear bag' and light rope, to hang your food and garbage out of harm's way - well away from camp!. Not only bears - raccoons will dig into your stuff if it's within reach!

LED battery-powered 'head light' - keeps hands free while working at night, and great for the walk to the bath house or 'tree' at midnight.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
      A couple items to add, for those of us with bad backs......

An inflatable air matress or thick foam 'self-inflating' pad.

A folding camp chair - much more comfy than a rock or log......

Also, a good 'bear bag' and light rope, to hang your food and garbage out of harm's way - well away from camp!. Not only bears - raccoons will dig into your stuff if it's within reach!

LED battery-powered 'head light' - keeps hands free while working at night, and great for the walk to the bath house or 'tree' at midnight.
      I agree on the camp chair and air bed. I never camp without both of those. I would also add flip flops (great for those trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night) and trash bags. Got to remember to pick up all your garbage.

The Wacky Otter
      social@wackyotter.com
      www.wackyotter.com

Comment

Originally posted by wackyotter View Post
        I would also add flip flops (great for those trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night) and trash bags. Got to remember to pick up all your garbage.

The Wacky Otter
        social@wackyotter.com
        www.wackyotter.com
        Yep, I forgot the flipflops one year - those hickory nuts and other hard little things on the ground really play havoc with the tootsies! :D

Comment

Hey BD & Wackyotter, thanks for adding to the list! It's hard to always remember everything to write down. Your cents are worth every penny here!:D

Comment

Originally posted by wackyotter View Post
            I agree on the camp chair and air bed. I never camp without both of those. I would also add flip flops (great for those trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night) and trash bags. Got to remember to pick up all your garbage.

The Wacky Otter
            social@wackyotter.com
            www.wackyotter.com
            Get a two for one - the ThermaRest Base Camp with the Trekker Chair. Less to carry and they work great! Had 'em for years.
            http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...ker-Chair.html
            kc
            Last edited by krazy.camper; 10-07-2009, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Preparing For A Camping Trip

I ahve been quite excietde planning my easter camping trip next year lol eveb if christmas is 3 weeks awayany way o broacjed the subject wi DH and he annoucced that at easter we are off to Pragie for 5 days Yippy. Ill just have to prespone the cacmping trip.
              belarus wife

Comment

Yep Howdy,
                We have planned a winter camping trip to Manzanita Campround, in Oak Creek Canyon along SR 89A. Just south of Flagstaff, AZ. They have nearly two feet of snow and our preparations are underway. Christmas this year is camping!!! We camped there in November 2008 and had a blast. Sure it will be chilly but when you're prepared like we prepare then we will have a great time. After spending just under a week there we'll drive back towards Vegas and camp at Temple Bar Campground, AZ on Lake Mead and dry out some before heading home!:D

Comment

I hear ya. I'll be hanging my stocking on my tent this year. I'll be in the Ocala National Forest camping this Christmas. No Christmas ham fo me this year, thankyou. This year, I'll be enjoying a mess of my favorite camping food, Beenies and Weenies for me please. Maybe Santa will leave some cool camping gifts under the tree for me.

Comment

I've got one for the list!

One thing I've discovered that I can't live without, camping or darn near anywhere else for that matter, is wet wipes! I don't know how I ever survived without them.

Comment

Great insight jt, yep, me too. Never used them before but desertrose picked some up and we took em this trip. Nice immediate gratifying cleanliness goes a long way at a campsite. I'm adding them to the list above. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Camping Checklist

I agree about the wet wipes. Especially with kids. I have three kids under 10 and I don't know what we'd do without wipes. If I don't keep an eye on my little girl, I'll turn around and she be saying "Look daddy I'm making dirt angels!"

There is a good printable camping checklist I use at Camp By Car.

Comment

Thanks, Ricely! And welcome to the campfire!

That is the best, most comprehensive checklist I have seen yet!

Comment

Ditto that too!!! It's a great list! And welcome, hope to hear more from you...!

Comment

Working...
                            X