Tent Camping in New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Camping in New York

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I have been having much difficulty finding a campsite in NY that suits my needs.

For the past couple of years my friends and I have been trying (rather unsuccessfully) to find a campsite where we simply set up a tent light a fire and camp out in the woods without being hassled. We don't need RV hookups, electricity, toilets or anything else - just nature, some fire and isolation from other people/campers.

As simple as what we are looking to accomplish, we can't seem to legally figure out a way to do this in southern NY. It seems like every campsite I find, is like it is a poor man's resort (for lack of a better term). I don't want swimming pools with kids runnning around, tennis courts, or video game rec rooms.

I don't know why this has been such a difficult task. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy bkeritk,
    Yep, it's a struggle out there to find exactly what you're looking for. Some places ten and RV are taken care of better than others. I know I've have had the same prob in Nevada. Seems like hit or miss! Sorry that your thread has gone on and no one has replied. I am shocked! Sorry! Welcome to the campfire...there isn't an easy answer. In Illinois, I haven't found a single cg than caters to the tent only camper. I'm still looking both in New York and Illinois. Up state NY seems to be no problem, while lower New York seems that it's impossible to find exactly what you're searching for. Hang in there, stay in touch here and we will see what we can find for you. Thanks!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

If you're in southern NY then PA, MD and VA aren't too far away. I can say first hand MD and VA have some excellent primitive and tent friendly camping opportunities. I imagine PA to be the same.

Comment

Clarence Fahnestock State Park

If you’re nostalgic for the days of family camping trips, rowboat rentals, Saturday-night movies and organized hiking excursions, book yourself one of the 80 campsites at this 14,000-acre upstate park located along the beautiful Canopus Lake. Nearby hunting and fishing are also available with a state permit.
        Price: $19 a night per tent site
        Getting there: From Grand Central Terminal, take Metro-North’s Hudson Line to the Cold Spring station. Arrange ahead of time for the eight-mile taxi ride to the campgrounds (about $20). Visit newyorkstateparks.reserveamerica.com for reservations.For a quick getaway

Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Got a compass ? Find you a heavly wooded area that can be accessed by hiking into it. Plot yourself a course and dissapear so far into the woods that nobody will know your there. Keep down the noise and build a small campfire so it doesn't give off too much smoke. Best time to go is during a holiday, most cops are either offduty or on a nighttime schedule watching the highways for drunks. Bring a camonet so light aircraft can't see you, also if hiking around during the day wear camo. Watch out for signs of hunters. I hunt myself,but am alittle fustrated that I have to camp in designated campsites during hunting season to keep some yaahoo from mistaking me for a deer.

Comment

Working...
          X