Reflecting heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflecting heat

Ok I live in Illinois so winter camping can get cold. Right now I am thinking of possibly doing a camp over Thanksgiving weekend. Probably just one night of it. I have two tents I could use which are a coleman 5 person dome or a two person pup tent. My plan is to build a lean to type structure and place the tent under that. Than at the leading edge place the fire in hopes that the lean to will reflect the heat back to the tent. Of course the pup tent will be easier to fit under a structure but wondered if anyone else had any suggestions or ideas. Figured this was the place to ask.

I'd forget it, to get the fire close enough, you'll burn the tent! Best bet is to take a plastic tarp and wrap it over your tent, this will reduce some of the loss of heat. Be sure to have a sleeping bag rated for the expected temps and don't sleep on air mattresses that have hollow spaces underneath you, this is a heat sink and can lead to hypothermia. Winter camping, like solo camping, offers its own rewards, and you will be better off for the experience. I suggest tequila...:D
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I have had no problem using an inflatable air mattress under my sleeping bag, even down into the 20's - but I do put a closed-cell foam pad UNDER the air mattress. Not a problem - my body heat warms the air in the inflatable, and the foam keeps it from draining into the ground.
      I also like stuffing a few of the chemical 'heater packs' in my sleeping bag, to generate some extra warmth - the bigger ones can last for 12+ hours! Stuff one down in the foot section, and one under your upper body - nice! Be advised that they do take a good half-hour to warm up fully. Prep them a bit BEFORE getting in the sack!
      I would keep the tarp from contacting the tent directly - that would reduce ventilation and could make more condensation - a soggy bed in NOT good in cold weather!
      Last edited by Bigdog57; 11-14-2009, 12:18 PM.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

If funds allow check-out and then purchase Mr. Heater. Amazon sells them around a 100 clams. The heater will run on the 1lb Coleman propane canisters, which are easily purchased at Wallys(Walmart). If you ever purchase anything from amazon come here first and then click on the link to amazon that JohnJohn has established. That way campingforums earns at-a-boy-points and a small percentage back to this happy forum to help with the maintanence of it.
        I'd also carry a pint of 100 proof whiskey like Southern Comfort or Yukon Jack. It really helps warming up your innards! Straight rum is good too!

http://www.mrheater.com

We too place a close-foam military issue sleeping pad under our air-mattress and also place a 100% wool blanket over the air mattress before the sleeping bag goes on top. We also carry another wool blanket for on top of the sleeping for more warmth. Good luck...and like tplife suggests don't get the fire too close to the tent, you could end up as a tater tot for the fire department!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
        X