Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Tent Camping

Howdy,
    Yeah, I know I already said some of this in the general chat. However, we are die-hard tent campers from the word git-go and I just wanted to bring everyone up-to-date on our Christmas & New Year Camping trip plans.:D

Next week on Tuesday we are leaving for Manzanita Campround, AZ. It is a wonderful little campground that is open all year for tent campers only! Manzanita is 6 miles north of Sedona and within a fifty mile radius around Sedona there are art galleries, 4 winerys, 3 state parks, a couple of ghost towns, a national monument so we will have plenty to do to keep our selves busy. Then after Christmas we'll go north to the south rim of the Grand Canyon and camp a few days there. During winter from November to March, Mather Campground basically shuts down to reservations and becomes a first come first served campground. Some times at 7000' the temperature will drop below freezing, so our winter bags are rated to -30 degrees, plus we'll have our tent heater too! Plenty of places to refill our fiberglass propane tanks in Sedona, Williams or Flagstaff! Only one loop out of eight loops, stays open and fees are cut in half. And with the disabled veteran's access pass those fees are also cut in half. So if we can find a place(even if it's smack-dab between rvs), it's still the Grand Canyon and we'll see the Grand Canyon for less than $10 a night!! The Grand Canyon doesn't permit dispersed camping along the rim. But if we find BLM land on our return we will stay there also.:D
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 12-18-2009, 11:54 AM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

We're expecting more than a foot of snow tomorrow with the potential for more before Xmas. That's a lot for an area that hasn't had a white xmas for at least 10 years. We're staying put for a while. Have fun with your holiday plans!!!!!

Comment

Thanks Rob, happy holidays to you and yours! Thia past week I lost a very good friend, not a camper, just a very good friend of 30 years! His passing was un-timely! It's quite sad! Yes, he was a senoir to me, old enough to be a dad to me, and his exit could have been pervented...but it happened and he passed on...thanks for caring! Life is too short! I'll worry about where I go when I get there...for now It's just camping that I care about. When we get back next year I'll have plenty of photos to share! Campng its a way of life!!! Rest in peace Dr. William(Wild Bill) Schroeder! I love you more that you'll ever know!! Happy Holidays all!
      Last edited by renodesertfox; 12-18-2009, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss, VDF. This time of year always seems to hit us hard, and take those we love.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Thanks BD! Tuesday, 12-22-09, we're cutting out, no internet just our weather radio, Kodiak Canvas Wall Tent, and all the happy stuff we like to take along! Scheduled to return 1-2-10! Winter camping or bust! Everyone on the upper east coast got a heavy dose of snow, that's great for camping! :D

Comment

Howdy All,
            Just want to tell everyone we're back! In a day or two after unloading and cleaning I'll be here with plenty of photos of winter camping in Arizona! Minus 5 degrees is the coldest we did...that's the coldest we did in a long time! Had plenty fun, did some sight-seeing and slept warm every night! If you camp in the winter you had better have a heater!

Comment

Welcome back, Brent! Looking forward to the pics!
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
              X