Need Help Choosing a Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Choosing a Tent

Hey everyone. I need some help. I"ve been looking for a new Tent for a month or so. Have been looking online alot and "educating" myself about what I want in my new tent. My old Eddy Bauer tent that I bought years ago is wearing out(I use to only camp a couple times a year with it), but got married a year or so ago and my wife and her family camp alot during the spring,summer and fall,we'll we try to make it once or twice a month during that time.

I need a tent with room for my wife(our queen mattress) our dog and a future kid or 2. Were trying to have one and we've also considered being foster parents.

Here's what I"m looking for and the importance:as close to 300 or under as possible..but if you know of something more..please let me know

1. Staying Dry
    -Full Rain Fly or close..bathtub floor...qualtiy floor..welded seams.. and good waterproofing.

2. Being Well Built(which also includes staying dry and handling the wind)

3.Size
    -my present tent is about a 8x15 although it's got a very short ceiling. So mininum I want a 10x10,but I"d prefer something a bit bigger,but not on the huge size(seen those 20x20 tents out there..:P).
    -being able to stand up in it,is also important.

4. Venilation
    5. Vertical Walls would be cool
    6. "Extras"

I"ve checked out alot of websites and reviews. I"ll briefly list what I"ve read and why I'm hesistant about some tents.

Eureaka-alot of positive reviews,but the floors are mostly made out of same material as the walls and on some models plastic zippers.
    Columbia-same type of floors and read about shoddy workmanship
    Coleman-seems alot of negative reviews about most and some of the rain flys aren't very good
    Jeep Tents-alot of leak concerns

Many others-Swiss,Camping Equipment,QuicTents,Wenzel

I have been looking into Giga Tents. They have a couple models there that seem to fit what I"m looking at and under $300 bucks.

Any help would be appreicated.

Howdy Sample,
    Seems like you have answered your own question. If 300 or lower is what you are looking for, then just about every three-season tent's zippers will fail sometimes but not always. That depends on how rough they are handled. We have an Eureka 10x10 and it has served us well. Presently it was shipped back to the manufacturer for a zipper overall after serving us for a number of years. If you ever think of spending over 300 look at Springbar and Kodiak four season tents. They run about $700 but are well built sturdy tents. We have a 9x12 Kodiak Canvas Wall Tent. The tent weighs nearly 50lbs and the steel poles weigh about 60 lbs. And with a little practice we can set that baby up in under an hour.

Weather proofing a tent no matter what the manufacturer claims is the safest bet to insure that your new tent won't leak. Waterproofing material should be what the manufacturer suggests. Even Wal-Mart has waterproofing goo that works well enough.

If you contact a company directly, they sometimes will sell a tent built to your specs, but then we are talking of spending well over $300. Good luck.
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 01-03-2010, 09:35 AM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

hmmm...well...of course I understand if you spend more you get more.

The thing is my Eddy Bauer tent lasted me about 10 years(although I camp more now than then) and the zippers are still okay,its just the material is getting old and worn and I"m seeing my pin holes/tears/leaks than ever,which is why I want a new one. That tent is one I picked up at Walmart for under 75$ I think.

I figured I can get basically what I want for the price I want,I just need to find the right one. If it wasn't for the floors of some of the manufacturers,then I"d probably have gotten one of those Copper Canyons already.

I did spot a Cabela Delxue Cabin Tent the other day. The smaller version seems pretty nice(8x15,instead of the 10x20). I"ll have to check into that a bit more. It has alot of what I"m looking for.

I'm not really needing a 4 season tent,since we won't camp during winter.

I appreciate the response and any expereiences you have with any particular tents I'd like to hear about.

Comment

Sample,

I came across a company the other day that sells materials to make your own gear, clothing, etc. They don't advertise tent materials, but I bet there are other companies that would sell all the stuff you need to build the perfect tent. I'm not the type to build my own tent, but somebody with the right kind of skills could do something pretty nice for a reasonable material cost and have something pretty nice to show off!

The company I saw is called Green Pepper, and their site is http://www.thegreenpepper.com. Maybe they could point you in the direction of a supplier for tent components and fabrics.

Josh

Comment

Howdy Sample,
          I'm not forcing anyone to purchase a four season tent, however, if you just look at the history I've established here on this site, I camp alot! And by camping alot a four season tent is an excellent tent in any kind of weather. We purchased our Kodiak Wall Canvas tent in 2007 and held off using it for two years because the weather here in southern Nevada was mild in the winter so I stayed with using our three season Eureka. Now, the four season is a perfect tent in any season. Why? No other tent except a Springbar or Kodiak has a vinyl floor. I put down a ground cloth for it when we first used it but the ground cloth was useless. The vinyl tub floor is the strongest material manufactured for being water-proof. No water has ever come through the floor of the Kodiak. Even when camping on snow and ice with our Mr. Heater blazing with both burners on, the snow under the tent melted and walking barefoot in the tent, not a drop of moisture ever came through. There are also 5 large windows with no-seeum mesh lining in those windows, perfect for any air flow during the hot humid months of summer. The poles are 1" steel construction. This Kodiak has never moved an inch in a very strong wind or thunderstorm. And of course, once a year I'll go over every seam inside and out with waterproof goo. All I'm saying is that a person should get the best tent that a person can afford for tent camping. Because it is your home away from home and I want my home secure. That's all I'm saying. There isn't a three season tent on the market today that can stand up to a Kodiak or a Springbar. Another item that we really like is the 8' awning over the front of the tent, even that it a plus and most three season tents do not have an awning with an attachable insect screen to match. That is why I'm a four season tent in any season camper. I can put up our Big Gas Grill and our own foldable table under the awning and not ever use the concrete or wood tables that are provided when we camp with our Kodiak, it's just my two cents and we(bride and I) camp much...at least twice a month every month for the last 10 years! And we love our Kodiak now!

Comment

Thanks for that link on material..I"ll check it out..althugh I"m not very good at that sorta thing.

I have no doubt the Kodiak is an excellent tent. I"ve read about them before. I just don't have 700 bucks to spend on a tent. I understand in the long run it would save alot of money,but you gotta be able to afford it up front...So I"m looking for my next best option that I can afford and get as much as possible.

Which is why I came to this site to ask for help and any first hand experience people might have in the 3-season family style tents.

Comment

Hey Josh that's an excellent link, thanks I'm going to use it in the near future!

Sample, hang in there other great campers here might offer their help...I've used three season tents for a number of years and I've like the Eureka, Wenzel & Giga Tents. It's just that those flimsy zippers don't last. I feel for your honest inquiries...it's tough sometimes finding just what you want and sometimes I've even kicked myself for not buying one tent over another, but practice will make perfect and each campout is just preparation for the next, that's why we camp! Good luck, let us all know what you settled for and where you're going etc...!

Comment

If you are just wanting a 3 season tent, I would recommend the Eureka 1310. It's 13x10 and I haven't had a problem with leaks. It also has severals vents and windows to help with the ventilation and has vertical walls so you can stand up in it. It's also fairly easy to set up and has several storage pockets. You can find one of these tents new for $300-350. Hope this helps. Good luck.

The Wacky Otter
                social@wackyotter.com
                www.wackyotter.com

Comment

Thanks for the response WackyOtter. So does the floor scare you much being made out of the same material as the rest of the tent?

Curious what are the zippers made out of?

Hey Vegas,you said you have owned Giga Tents in the past? If so how did they stack up versus the others that you have owned?

Comment

I haven't had any problems with water coming in through the floor of the Eureka 1310, so I haven't really worried about it. Then again, I always put down a tarp under my tent when I camp. But I do that no matter what tent I use. As for the zippers, I'm not exactly sure what they are made of, but again, I haven't had any problems. I have heard some people having problems with their zippers after several years, but Eureka will send you replacement sliders for free. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

The Wacky Otter
                    social@wackyotter.com
                    www.wackyotter.com

Comment

Sample, seems like you have done your homework and know what you are looking for. I think you will be well informed on your purchase form the other suggestions by eveyrone here. Good luck with your purchase and send some pics when you get it set up the first time!

Happy Camping
                      "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for chiming in there wackyotter...you are right Eureka will send a free zipper to you but once the zipped material won't hold they will put in a custom heavy metal zipper for about $60.00 bucks. This fall, our zipper on the 1010 finally gave up the ghost so I contacted Eureka and sent my tent in for a custom zipper about two weeks ago. They said it would take an average 60 day turn around and I'm also paying shipping both ways. But I do like a 3 season tent too! Replacing a zipper after years of service is better than buying a new tent. In fact, for hunting trips I'm still using the coleman scout puptent my father bought me in the 60s. It's mostly patches now, but for solo hunting trips thats what I use!

Sample...the Giga tents are great too, I've owned Wenzel also, Kelty, Coleman and Eureka and have never had a problem with the floor...like WO says just put a tarp under the floor before you pitch it up. A tent purchase is a very personal thing what might be good for one guy may be terrible for the next. Hope this helps...you really gotta let us know what you got and throw up a photo or two of it when you get it setup. Don't forget to waterproof too. Sure the manufacturer will tell you that the tent is waterproof, but I'd rather be extra safe than extra sorry if camping and the tent leaks...first time out. And since I'm a jeep camper besides tools and chains I also carry a broom and a two rakes to help smooth out the ground before I erect the tent. It does help.

Comment

I"m really looking into Giga Tents atm....I"m considering the

10x15 Mt Springer
                          12x15 Wild Cat and the
                          12x18 Mt Barren.

I"m taking my wife suggestions into consideration,since I"m pretty sure quality wise there all similar....I do wanna double check to be sure.

the Mt Barren is a bit too big for us and my wife isn't fond of the design of the WildCat,so were probably going for the Springer which is 2 foot wider than our present tent,so we do gain some size.

They all have a room that can be converted into a sorta of screen room for warm days.

I wish there Rain Flies were fully covered,but other than that they "seem" to have what I want.

Tub Floors with heavier material than the Eurekas,proper size,decen't rain fly(my biggest disappointment),good venilation...vertical walls..better than average zipppers.

My wife even chose as her #1 the cheaper one,without knowing the price,so that was cool.

Thanks for all your comments and I"m still going to wait a couple weeks I think before making my winter purchase for the spring,so I can fully check things out.

BTW one reason the floors of the eureka worried me is my dog camping and I can imagine his claws just shredding that thin material...to be honest I really love the looks of the copper canyon..the extras...etc..I really like that tent,but if the floor gets shredded,then its sorta of worthless.

I"m not 100% decided yet..but I"m closer..thanks and any new comments I"d love to hear.

Vegas one last thing about the Giga,was there anything you really didnt like that stood out to you?

Comment

Now you bring up a dog(heehee). When we had our dog he was an outside dog. Now we're cat lovers and we don't take our pets camping. Sometimes their just like another child. To each their own. I can see why you were leery of tent floors. You didn't lay everything on the table, oh well. Glad you were asking though. For a large dog, no floor is going to standup to a dog's claws. We thought at one time about carring a rug pad or a rug large enough for the entire floor. But then that runs into expense, cleaning, transporting it easily and keeping it dry. Now we just use common cotton bathroom rugs without any vinyl backing, because the dryer always chews up the backing. We use rugs for our feet(no boots in the tent)!

The only reservation to keep in mind is the size of the tent. Too big of a tent, if you camp in organized campsites some tent pads or areas might not be large enough. I've haven't run into that problem too much but did once, trying to erect our 1010 on a 8x10 pad and at another place where the tent pad was 5x7. Lots of overhang. At least in the desert it doen't rain much so we had no other problems. Never really have had a major prob with any three season tent that we have owned. Sometime the windows were too small, sometimes their too huge. Zippers come & zippers go, so as long as we are in the current generation of "just satisfy me now" plastic zippers or zippers not lasting more than a few years are here to stay. I'm hoping that you won't leave camping forums now that your quest is almost over. That you got experience to share and with your acquired knowledge of camping you'll stick around and stay busy with us. Start a photo album and make some online friends here. We all know that the next campout is really just practice for the next one, etc...! Just hope that your stay with us will be a long and happy! Maybe one day you'll be able to stepup to a four season tent! Dusty Trails!

Comment

Naw I"m not going anywhere....I'll post when things interest me or I have something to share.

99% of our camping is done locally. We live near Lake Rathbun in Iowa and there really aren't any Tent Pads...most of its electric setup for campers,although the sites themselves haven't really changed too much other than they all have hookup for electiric and they cost more now..:P

So size really doesn't matter,we can put 2 or 3 tents on a site if we wanted to(I think 2 is the actual limit,but I"ve seen people with more).

My dog is a border collie and he doesn't spend much time inside the tent loose,we take his kennel with us,but even the couple minutes inside if he ignored us,I could see his claws catching that thin material of the Eureka's I like and a few of the others and there goes my tent..

Comment

Working...
                              X