Gear Consolidation Plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Consolidation Plans?

Howdy, so now you've seen this year's first winter camp. I'm planning and actually trying to cut back on certain stuff I always take but never use. Tools, chains, and recovery straps always stay but there is other stuff. The biggest improvement I made this trip was leaving the big red cd boom box at home. When we purchased it, thought that it was the manifesto of cd boom boxes. Water-proof, dirt&dust proof, but still had to take a bunch of cd cases and all of that was left at home with our splurge of a 160GB iPod Classic and Sony Speaker Dock. That alone saved a lot of space.

My bag that holds my Lodge Cast Iron pots and pans finally wore out and tore open so I trashed that and cut the cast iron back to the griddle for our homemade fresh blueberry pancakes and our dutch oven. I'm only taking my pans: 6", 9", 12" and 15" pans when the menu we've prepared calls for it. Then I'll choose the size of pan. That's taken a bite out of the heaviest bag of the trip except jeep tools.

Other ideas are still in the works and if I can remember to chat about it I'll try again soon. MLK weekend is almost here and we are planning another campout to Mid-Hills CG in the Mojave National Preserve in southern California. It's only about 1 1/2 hours out of Vegas but seldom used in the winter. Probably will have to move over for cab-over campers but that's ok they use propane too!

What might your plans be...if you have any? Even if you're just a seasonal summer time camper, plans for gear consolidation could begin now while waiting for spring training to start the beginning of the 2010 baseball season. What's up? Thanks for looking and hangin' out here awhile! Aren't you glad you did?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I do two types of camping, so it makes a difference what type I'm doing. If I'm only providing for myself, I keep it as simple as possible.
    If my wife is coming along, we pack alot of stuff. She's not really keen on camping, so I bring enough stuff to ensure that she's going to be as comfortable as possible.
    To get my own personal gear as minimal as possible, I would keep track of what I actually used. If I went on a couple of trips, and didn't use something, I'd leave it at home the next time.
    This doesn't count when your talking about first-aid and emergency stuff of course.
    What I try and do is take things that might have multiple uses.
    And I try not to double up on gear. What I mean by that is this. I used to carry a folding saw. One day it occured to me that I didn't need it since I always carry a Leatherman and that has a saw in it. So now I leave the folding saw at home.
    I don't have a problem roughing it. When I go camping without my wife, I use the no-frills approach. I keep my food very simple, last time I went I brought a bag of beef jerky and a bag of trailmix and that's it. Oh, a small container of instant coffee too. Gotta have my morning coffee.
    To me, its about being out there, I can get by with just the absolute basics.

Comment

We have a TT, so too much room for bringing way too much stuff. We've talked about selling the TT and getting a smaller hybrid trailer, thought I'm not sure my DH can do it. Then he bought a diesel pickup and is looking at bigger 5th wheels. We're thinking in different directions, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I bought a tent last summer and started taking my girls camping that way (DH won't tent camp). I'd love a Kodiak tent, and can't wait until we camp enough to justify one. Then, if he sees how comfy we are, maybe he'll convert.

I feel like I'm constantly trying to shed stuff, not only for camping but also in our house. I'd love to pare down camping to a light load, but also like to be really prepared - so I'm a bit conflicted. Plus, I come from a long line of gear junkies. As a kid, anytime Dad wanted the family to try something new, off we would trek to the store and purchase every possible item for that hobby for all four of us kids. Hard to shake that habit.

I have parred down on stuff like toys (don't get used while camping anyway) and much of the kitchen stuff I don't really use. i did just buy the Cabela's camp kitchen, so that's adding, not subtracting. Part of the problem is that I drive an excursion, and there's just so much room for bringing so much stuff. I'm working on changing that thought process though. We'll see how it goes! This thread reminds me of a great George Carlin bit about stuff.

Comment

I had long ago 'consolidated' my gear to the logical minimum, as I have been motorcycle camping. For new folks, I do have some pics in the Photo Gallery.
        Now though, as I finally have a good four-wheel vehicle, I can actually expand somewhat. Sometimes I'll sleep in the van, but I do want to explore the option of a good cabin tent. I'll probably add a good cot too - just need a HEAVY-DUTY model.
        I can start carrying stuff to do some real cooking, instead of just hydrating some Mountain House packets.
        But, I don't want to overload myself, especially if alone.
        Reading here of VDF and the others camping, and enjoying the camping life, I can hopefully avoid some silly newbie mistakes.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I went the other way - I added a roof rack to my minivan and bought a soft storage bag to go in it. Had to make more room for the dog by moving soft stuff to the roof.

The other option would be to go for a hitch carrier but then I couldn't carry the bicycles in my hitch bike rack.

What to do . . . what to do . . .

Comment

Bigdog! You are very kind with your comments, I thank you sir! Good luck with camping now the easy way with covered van, canoe, and MC Tow! Once the move is done and I'm finding out that my back surgery still needs more healing so I'm hiring more of the moving out, but once done I'll be back with plenty time to help you through the maze of camping the easy way, if you want some imput!

Rob...you could mount your bikes to the roof of the rig too as well as soft bags. Then you could possibly consider the extention rack for carrying other items and still have room for Rover(dog) and family? It always seems like we take a ton of stuff camping to keep our better halfs nice and comfy but I have found that I like that extra stuff too. Backpackers though turn the other cheek and go even more ultra-light...except Eaglebait. Ha Ha! He has a lama to carry is load! Ha Ha!:D

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
              ..............Backpackers though turn the other cheek and go even more ultra-light...except Eaglebait. Ha Ha! He has a lama to carry is load! Ha Ha!:D
              April 1st, no joke, I start getting ready for warm weather wilderness walking. Billy Bob and I will start walking the 2 mile loop to the mail box and back each morning. After a week of that, I will start putting his packs on him and addin' weight each day. Middle of May we will start scratching those itches.

Already working on new foods to add to this year's menu. I have been drying, then turning into powder, Johnagold apples. A dried/powdered apple comes in at 1/3 C, and I can get 2.5 Cups in a sandwich ziploc bag. Have already "tested" 1/8 C apple powder in instant oatmeal: Very good! I detest those "instant oatmeal" packets because I don't know what is in them. Instant oatmeal with home dried fruit added makes the cereal sweet, tasty, and don't have to take sugar.

Anyway, the reason for the above paragraph was to let you all know that even year to year, I have to adjust how I am going to pack my llama bags as I add new/different stuff to my "pack".
              Chuck
              So. Oregon
              TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
              TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
              SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
                Rob...you could mount your bikes to the roof of the rig too as well as soft bags. Then you could possibly consider the extention rack for carrying other items and still have room for Rover(dog) and family? It always seems like we take a ton of stuff camping to keep our better halfs nice and comfy but I have found that I like that extra stuff too.
                Some racks support that but my Thule 696 doesn't. Besides, I don't want to get too top heavy or high on the minivan. I have a hard enough time reaching stuff on the top even at the level of the roof rack. We've been just barely able to pack the dog and all the camping stuff into the m-v up til now but the kids are getting older and their needs are growing.

Comment

Yes I understand! My idea was a little far-fetched anyway. What we've done sometimes when our children were still camping with us was that I dis-mantled bikes to a point where I could secure them to the extention rack...but then when it camping time, I spent a good number of hours assembling them and then dis-assembling them for the return home trek. It really took the fun out of camping for me so I resolved not to carry bikes at all and forced everyone to walk. I was known then as mean old dad! grrrrrrr! What should you do? That's the age old question. I dunno! I even went out and bought a gas guzzling Suburban and had no problem ever except running 4x4 two track, so as soon as the oldest three out of five kids grew up and moved away I went back to driving nothing by jeeps again like I did when I was single back in the 1970s. Now I'm driving a WJ(Jeep Grand Cherokee) stock version and have done a few good tracks but nothing like the good'ole days when I was bumpin' rock with my CJ7 which if I still had would be an antique like me!:eek:

Comment

Eaglebait, hey man! How much will your lama pet carry? How much does a guy like that eat a day. Guess you can't take 'em to the city park and walk him like a pet dog and pick up after 'em either? Have you ever sprained an ankle and had to ride him awhile?

The move to Reno is really a chore and we are both throwing away alot of personal items...but they are just items, anyway. Can't take 'em when you go to the here-after! Ha Ha! But I do come here to this site a lot and wonder what did I come here after? Old age is creeping up on me although I know you're senior to me I had to make fun of my condition. My doctor has advised me not to try and do the Grand Canyon any longer! So I'm saying: "I'll show him!" How's spring there?

How's your new vehicle coming along, got any photos? And thanks for the tips you gave me on Yosemite...won't have time this year but maybe next we'll get it done!

Comment

Stone...welcome to the forum, I've been busy lately. Your approach at solo camping is just what the doctor ordered! There are other camper-joes here that camp the same way as yourself. When I'm hunting and solo camping it is no frills just like you! It's being out there which is the greatest thrill for me and for me is about the only thrill I know of anymore! Anyway, thanks for sharin!

Comment

Working...
                      X