Setting Up Camp: How long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Up Camp: How long?

Here's another question to ponder, chat about and compare. How long does setting up your camp take? Your answer can be short or long...the longer responses are great to share the details of setting up camp. Don't forget to add finding the spot too, pitching the tent, air mattress set-up, who does the kitchen setting up...is your kitchen area bags or boxes or the inside of your car? Yeah, it's still winter for many people and you can chime in any time. The more responses the greater our base of knowledge grows. So if you think your camp set-up ain't nothing, you're wrong...we learn from one another! And maybe make an on-line friend or two. Here's the question again, in case I forgot: Setting Up Camp: How Long?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Setting up camp for me depends on how I'm camping.

Tent Camping: Usually about 1-1 1/2 hours.
    Start by finding a spot, preferrably a flat spot on higher ground incase of rain. Clearing the area for my tent free of debris like sticks or large rocks. Tent set up, then if I don't bring my own firewood, finding a good wood source. After gathering plenty of wood making sure it will stay dry under a tarp then its time to set up the tarp awning over my cooking/dining area to provide shade/protection from weather. After that is all said and done camp is ready to go. I do not need too much when I camp.

Survivalist camping: First and foremost I find a good source of water. Once that is accomplished second most important is getting my shelter made. Depending on where I choose to make camp will play a big part in how long it takes to get camp set up. If there are natural areas to help with shelter it can drastically cut shelter making time in half. A rock overhang, cave, or even a windblown tree can help with creating your shelter. After shelter is finished and depending on how much daylight is remaining fire is next on the list. Getting a fire going can play a big factor in survival especially depending on the region you are staying in. High altitude expeditions a fire is almost a neccesity overnight to keep warm. Even in the summer months the temps can drop to below freezing at night. When in a survivalist scenario you have to learn to control your hunger factor as food will not be at your disposal. A growling stomach may have to be ignored or slept on if time is running out in the day. Time will vary greatly on camp set up in this type of scenario.
    "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
    sigpic

Comment

10-15 minutes top with 2 people. My g/f and I can do it in around 10 easily with the sleeping bags, pads, pillows, and tent set up. I'm throwing the sleeping bags in while she's unrolling it and setting it up... as a matter of fact I'd go as far as to say 15 minutes set up, brushed teeth and in tent! We're that good!
      Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
      USMC Retired
      Scout/Sniper

Comment

About a halfhour all-told, finding the spot, setting up my tent - a bit longer if using my three-man dome tent - and readying my sleepingbag/blanket and sleeping pad. I put up my folding chair and small table and stove. I use the basic concept of 'multitasking' too. I have my electric motorcycle air pump inflating my sleeping pad while I put up the tent.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Well so far everyone has me beat like a drum! From start to finish it's about 2 - 3 hours. See, I'm setting up a Kodiak Canvas Wall Tent...but wait a minute, I'm getting ahead of myself.

When we find a walk-up site at an organized campground our discussions are light but if are dispersed camping in an area unfamiliar to us our discussions can be quite lengthy. Why is this spot better than that one over there? And of course the very first thing we do after discussions are done is to pull out our camp chairs first and have a toast to nature and to ourselves with a glass of wine. That lasts about 20 minutes.

The Kodiak takes us 30 minutes to stake all twelve stakes, side poles and then the porch awning. Tarps down first. At first, it took us a good hour but I color coded the steel poles so now it's a breeze. Then I unstrap the rear cargo storage rack(5 minutes). While I'm doing that Desertrose is carrying our bags, sleeping bag, air mattress(queen), our sleeping pads which we lay down before air is applied to the air mattress. Then the rugs and our little packs of clothes. Then once the back rack is un-strapped then the porta-potty gets set in the tent, Mats down and air mattress up and bed made. Maybe 20 minutes for that. Then I take two more 4x8' tarps and attach them to the side poles of the awning for wind protection. Or if it's bug country then the screen awning is zippered on to the porch. That takes another 20 minutes. Then we take a break and have another glass of wine or instead I'll pour a whiskey. Then I'll pull out our folding table and our big gas grill and set them up. Pull out our food drawers and the two propane tanks (1) for big gas grill and (2) for Mr. Heater inside the tent. Then we take another break and finish our second drink.

Then I'll unstrap the wood which I stored either in the kayak or on top of the car. Then Desertrose sets up our Cabana Storage tent and at least one Kelty Shadehouse either over the table that's provided or over where we will set the kayak down to finish un-packing that. I like to take the kayak down in case we go somewhere before we hit any water. If we take the jeep out to run a two-track trail, the kayak comes off unless it's to a hidden lake.

In all reading my post probably took you guys at least an hour of reading.Heehee! Well that's basically it, except I forgot add a couple of more pours of booze and wine. If it's real hot I'll bring ale but never beer. I just don't like the taste of beer. We don't ever drink too much. We know our limits. Now if we are going to do any driving after we set up camp then booze is "off limits!" But after we set up camp we like to stay put and organize our home away from home a bit more and drink in good ole momma earth! So maybe 3 hours isn't right more like 4-5 hours. Oh, well! This thread has been fun!!:D btw: Remember I had back surgery in June of last year so I just don't move fast anymore! Haha!

Comment

Brent, you need a team of Sherpas! :D

I optimised my setup and take-down due to our often rolling into a campground just shortly before dark as well as wanting to get an early start on the road next morning - no time to screw around!
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I suppose it takes about an hour for my wife and I. We get to the campsite. I'll start working on the tent right away and depending if we get there in the evening or earlier in the day,my wife will start getting dinner ready if its late,so she'll unpack the the food and cooking supplies.

I'll let the dog out and get him tied down,while we continue setting up.

She'll then help me get the tent up and if it late in the evening,I"ll normally get a fire going and unload whatever gear we might need that night(lanterns,air mattress,blankets)and find the proper place. ONce the fire it ready and dinner is cooking,we'll work on getting our ez-setup canopy deployed ASAP,especially if it looks like rain is coming. She or both of us will work on getting the rope lights up around it also.

After that I'll go ahead and get the air mattress blown up and the Dog Kennel put in the tent. I'll also set out the lanterns,any coolers and lawn chairs.

If its earlier in the day,I'll get the clothers line put up and maybe get a yard game out and set up. Otherwise that other stuff can wait till the next morning.

We pretty much leave any extras in the jeep and just grab it as needed.

Comment

Backpacking: I am in the same camp as richardvg03. If I am out by myself, maybe 20-25 minutes, if I am out with Susan, 15-20 minutes at the most as we pitch in (I set up tent and store bags/mattresses, whatever in tent.

Car camping: In the past, we have had a shell on the bed of the truck, a 3' wide sheet of ply resting on the bed sides (holding gear), and we sleep on the bed floor of the truck. There is a passenger side window "door" on the shell so we can access the gear on the plywood shelf. It probably takes us half the time to set up for "car camping" because the only thing we have to get out is the cooking box. The lift door on the truck becomes kitchen on left side of door, right side of door becomes entry to back of truck/shelter.
                Chuck
                So. Oregon
                TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
                TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
                SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

I try to be done setting up/'improving' the campsite about halfway thru' our stay.
                  (Then I can start taking it apart.)

NB

Comment

Howdy Natty Bumppo, welcome to the forum! I see you have jumped right in and shared your thoughts! Great! Fantastic! Hope your stay with us will a long and happy camping trip.

Comment

When it was me and my ex, it took us about half an hour. We started by unloading everything out of the truck. He set up the tent while I took out and placed stuff where I wanted it to go. After that, I got in the tent and made our bed while he helped the kids with their tent.
                      After tossing the wood out of the truck bed, we would have a beer and go for a hike!

Oh man, I need to get out there...
                      My Other Interest

Comment

Big Dawg...you wait now that you got a caravan...your camping will be more refined and you too will start bringing more gear. I think what saves you is that you don't have that SO and have to pack things for her to use. Desertrose and I split our cooking duties too...she does half of the cooking and I do the other 3/4s of it. She really likes to get away but we like taking all the extra stuff too! Do you know where I can get a pack of Sherpas?:D

Comment

Silver...now it's just up to you! Good luck with your adventure back in Yucca Valley! So what's up with the truck? New or old?

Comment

Working...
                          X