Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Seal or Not To Seal?

Howdy Again,
    When you buy a new tent the seams aren't sealed. If you use this tent without sealing the seams they will become wicks that allow water to seep into the tent. It doesn't have to rain for this to occur. Morning dew will have the same consequence. You can waterproof the tent seams very easily.

Buy a bottle of seam sealer for a few dollars at a sporting goods store.
    Set your tent up outdoors on a dry sunny day.

The seam sealer comes in a bottle with an applicator top. Shake the bottle, open the cap, and apply seam sealer to all threads (inside and out) while the tent is erected.

Allow the sealer to dry for a few hours.
    Repeat the application, and allow the seams to dry thoroughly.
    Don't forget to also seal the seams on your rain fly. Inside & out!

This process accomplishes two tasks. Not only does it help to waterproof your tent, but it gives you a chance to learn how to set it up. Never go camping with a new tent that has not been seam sealed, and which you have not practiced setting up. If you tent camp a lot, it's a good idea to reseal the seams every year.

Quality tents come with seams that are factory taped, which is not the same as sealed. Taped seams have a waterproof material placed between overlapped seams, which are then double stitched. This sewing technique adds to the strength of the seam and helps eliminate any gaps when the tent is stretched. These seams will be more water-resistant than normal seams, but they are not water-proof. The seams should still be sealed to ensure the best water-proof protection. Just trying to be helpful here.

Just because you read the directions for setting up your new tent doesn't mean you have to do that way every time. Every-time police aren't real. And the more a person sets up their tent the more you will fine tune your own procedure. It's easier setting up a tent with two people, but if there is only one person to set up a big tent...don't fret, just set it up a little bit at a time. Most sections come in threes, just set up one section at a time. First on one side of the tent then the other. Sure it may take a little longer, but just make sure when you set it up you're away from any appointments to see your investor, your preacher or anyone else you can think of. Camping is an enjoyable pastime. Enjoy it. When life ends then it's too late to enjoy it. Remember every campout is practice for the next one.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I definitely plan to seal my seams. However, I have been camping most of my life and never did this before. Never had any issues either.
    Thing is, I tried to set up my tent last night in my living room, and there is just not enough room! I don't think it will be possible to do this pre-camping trip. Should I do it at camp, early in the morning so it has time to dry?
    My Other Interest

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMaggie View Post
      I definitely plan to seal my seams. However, I have been camping most of my life and never did this before. Never had any issues either.
      Thing is, I tried to set up my tent last night in my living room, and there is just not enough room! I don't think it will be possible to do this pre-camping trip. Should I do it at camp, early in the morning so it has time to dry?
      Silver,
      When you get to your location the last thing you will want to do is to read your directions and set up your tent cold. I've witnessed other campers who have done that, if something bad happens that day or night, it will happen. High winds, cold temperature that hurt fingers. The best medicine is to set the tent up at least once before you go. If the weather ever dries out up in Fairfield, take your tent to a local city park and set it up there. Try out those lousy skinny stakes that come with the tent and stake it down. Take a small step ladder too, because the tent is taller than you are(5'1") and seal your tent. If you don't want to seal the thing, that's a personal decision, no one will care...but if you're camping and a good to honest downpour focuses it's attention to rain on your parade it will. Then you can't blame campingforums for advising you not to seal your tent. Hey, if you got a boyfriend, take him to the park with you...not to help you set up the tent put to provide you with support when other people are looking your direction.

Once you set up your tent and have sealed your seams(if you want to) let it dry a couple of hours. Kick back have an ale! You don't need to goop it on, a thin smooth coat once is all you need. The rains will stop mid-March...that is what is predicted. This El Nino has been watched since October 09 and I believe in NOAA predicting!

If you take down your tent before the seams dry then they will stick together and it won't tear the tent but it will be harder to separate and set it up next time. There, now discard those lousy tent stakes than come with the tent and go to Wal-mart and get steal 9" stakes. Take a hammer with you when you go camping. Don't forget your toolbox or bag either. Remember too, that what you have in your toolbox or bag...which ever you carry can also double as camping equipment in a pinch. I.E. Vice Grips make a great hot lid or pan handle! BTW: I went to the Magnum site...nice rides, great fun...but life is a journey and your camping soon will be your way of life(3 months). Lots of folks are glad you found this site. Besides your truck is the now a collector's item. I do like your truck! What's up with a shell?

Comment

I am most definitly setting up my tent for practice, in my boyfriends parents garage, what I was saying is I don't have the hours to let the seam seal dry. I will figure it out though.

Thanks for checking out Custom Magnums, I love that place, great people too!
        My Other Interest

Comment

See if there is a hot-air hair dryer someplace. That'll work too and speed up drying!:D

Comment

Possibly the best way to apply seam sealer: A small paintbrush.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Seal it!
              Sealing a brand new tent lets you get familiar with its construction as well as ensuring a better night when it rains.
              Kinda funny how your values change when you are trying to sleep in a cold puddle.

Sealing your tent every Spring gives you a chance to inspect it for tears and other problems which are a lot easier to fix at home than in the field. (And it means that you are READY FOR CAMPING!)

NB

Comment

Working...
              X