Cabin Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabin Tent

Basically I'm in the market for a large cabin/cottage/vertical wall tent to take up to the lake a couple of times a year. I want something that I can put a table in and entertain 3 or 4 people in at night or if it rains, and with enough head room to stand up in.

We already have two tents to sleep in, but we're looking for a good, large, waterproof tent to use as a base-camp.

A little about my camping habits, I'm pretty much a one season camper. Memorial Day through Labor Day. I don't mind the rain, but I refuse to deal with the cold.

I've done some research but the views on this particular kind of tents vary greatly from tent to tent and from reviewer to reviewer. I don't mind waterproofing the tent, which I always do, but I want a sound design to work with. No point waterproofing a tent with design flaws and inferior materials.

My price limit is 300.00 or less. I just can't justify paying more for a tent I wont use outside of the summer.

Welcome to the forum. What design flaws and inferior materials did you find so far? There is no sense guessing at what you are looking for...please give some information on what you consider as design flaws and specifics of inferior materials. What have you already looked at and have crossed-off your list? You already have two tents for sleeping so you know something about tents, help us out here and then we will be able to help you better. What tents are you using for sleeping arrangements?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

What is your general location? Down here in The South, summer can be swelteringly hot - the Autumn through Spring is our best camping season - far fewer bugs too! I too have been looking at cabin tents, and it seems the good ones are in the $400 plus range for a decent size.
      You might try ebay - might find a good deal from someone upgrading or after they find their SO does NOT like camping, and they need to sell the virtually new tent!
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

The right cabin tent

I have had really good luck with the Coleman line of tents. Both Coleman tents that I have owned did/do not leak. The one thing I would warn against is leaving a large cabin tent up in 40 mph + winds if you are not in them. Both of these tents were fine when I was in them and the wind was 40 mph plus. But the Coleman Denali, My favorite of the two tents blew over in 40 mph winds when I was not in it one night. I was able to repair all but one of the broken poles.

The denali was great because there was a screend in area on the front big enough for 3 people and a table. Which made for a nice place to go in a light rain. The inside was big enough for four cots and plenty of gear.

The red Canyon now the weather master is probably best suited for what you are looking for and can be bought for around 100-150.00.

Comment

I'm down in Georgia, with my primary camping locations being the Clark's Hill/Lake Thurmond area.

Currently looking at the Eureka Copper Canyon 1512; I'm not seeing a lot of Coleman's that match it size wise. Plus I've heard good things on the Eureka line. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by 2E151 View Post
            Basically I'm in the market for a large cabin/cottage/vertical wall tent to take up to the lake a couple of times a year. I want something that I can put a table in and entertain 3 or 4 people in at night or if it rains, and with enough head room to stand up in.

We already have two tents to sleep in, but we're looking for a good, large, waterproof tent to use as a base-camp.

A little about my camping habits, I'm pretty much a one season camper. Memorial Day through Labor Day. I don't mind the rain, but I refuse to deal with the cold.

I've done some research but the views on this particular kind of tents vary greatly from tent to tent and from reviewer to reviewer. I don't mind waterproofing the tent, which I always do, but I want a sound design to work with. No point waterproofing a tent with design flaws and inferior materials.

My price limit is 300.00 or less. I just can't justify paying more for a tent I wont use outside of the summer.
            We got a Eureka Northern Breeze a couple of years ago for a cooktent when we tent camp and use the HTT.
            It accommodates a Forest Service picnic table with room for two camp chairs and a small table.
            I like the side curtains. They make it snug and heatable in the Spring and Fall and let me close it up tight in rainy weather. I got the floor too.
            I can put it up easily by myself (now).
            Look around on line and you should be able to find it at a reasonable price.

http://www.eurekatent.com/pc-95-4-no...FZxS2godMx0yYA

NB

Comment

I'm also looking at the Eddie Bauer Mammoth, the Coleman Hampton, and the Magellan Mojave. I'm really trying not to pay 350+ for a good, large tent.

Additionally these are all sold locally so I can return if needed.

Comment

We had great success with our Eureka 1010, except for the zipper lasted only 5 years. I sent it off to be repaired with a heavier-duty zipper for $60 and paid for shipping each way. The windows were big and airy and have been quite happy with this three season tent. However now it seems that Kodiak Canvas has claimed our hearts for tenting. Our 912 wall tent is for us the cat's meow!

Back to the Eureka tent, though...we purchased it through Sunny Sports and they were on of the first on-line companies to offer free shipping. Now they offer free shipping on orders over 50 bucks. We've never had a problem with anything we have ever bought from Sunny Sports or any other on-line store for sometime now. Ten years ago it was a different ballpark, but now everyone is playing supply & demand really well! Check them out:
                http://www.sunnysports.com

Purchasing a tent locally is okay...and with all of those models you've mentioned and only you knowing what your bottom line is...picking a tent is a very personal choice. What someone would like you my not, but it sounds like you got a great store(s) near you so your selection is wide. There are other great tent campers here and they will probably offer their help as well, if you have a little time.
                Last edited by renodesertfox; 02-16-2010, 09:56 AM.
                Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I got it online and the vendor's name slips my my 67 year-old mind for the moment.
                  After I decided what I wanted I just kept trolling thru' the pages.
                  As an aside, I happened to pass by a campsite last year where the couple were using that model tent to sleep in. Stopped to chat. They loved it for sleeping. It was very weather-resistant and quite roomy for their purposes.

That is one thing that I especially like about National Forest CG's, the vast majority of campers are very nice people who respect the environment and the facilities. They are always willing to share experiences and tips with you.

Comment

Ebay carries tents new-in-the-box for around 60% off if you follow the auctions. I've bought three over the years, two Sierra Designs and one Eureka! The Eureka! (Tetragon 7) is a lot cheaper, you get what you pay for, and it is for "guests" who join us without a tent. The most recent Sierra Designs, the Bedouin 6, 76 square feet with 6'4" standing room, sleeps four comfortably with tons of room, inside beverage holders, overhead clothes lines, full coverage rain fly, lifetime warranty for poles, zippers, lamination, etc. and cutting-edge features. I paid $190 for this $450 retail tent.
                    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Why not use the tents you have for sleeping and get a canopy for the table/entertaining bits? A good pop-up canopy can be have for $100-150 or less.

Comment

Working...
                      X