Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eureka Timberline?

Good Morning Everyone!

I am looking into buying a good tent that will last my nephew and I many years.

I have been looking at the Eureka timberline series of tents, but I cannot decide between the Eureka Timberline 4 person tent or the Timberline 2 person tent.

If any of my friends or family join us, they have their own tents, so at the most, two people will be using this tent.

I just wonder if the extra room of the 4 person tent would be nice.......or the smaller size of the 2 person would be useful.

We wont be backpacking into sites, just state parks.

I thank you all for your opinions on this tent and recommendations on whether to get the 2 or 4 person tent!

Have a wonderful day!

Nate

Absolutely GET THE 4-MAN! A 2-man tent is just that, no room for gear or to move about. Better yet, if you have an extra $50 you can get the Sierra Designs Wu-Hu 4 new off Ebay. Because the walls are vertical, there's a lot more useable space inside than in an A-frame design like the timberline.
    Last edited by tplife; 03-09-2010, 11:38 AM.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I agree - size listings tend to be very tight - a two-man would be very snug! The four-man would be much better for campground use. Room to store your gear too.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Thanks for your help folks!

I placed a couple of tape measures out on the floor to see just how large the 2 person vs. the 4 person timberlines are.

The 4 person is quite a bit larger at 9x7. The two person is 7x5

I think I may like the smaller 2 person timberline. When I placed the tape measures out the 9x7 looked awfully big to me.

Comment

Holy Smokes!

I checked the Eureka Outlet website and they had a refurbished Timberline 2 for $61! I bought that and a refurbished Eureka Solitaire for $25!

When I saw the Timberline 2 for $61 that made up my mind pretty quick which one to get!

Comment

Originally posted by snatiep View Post
            Thanks for your help folks!

I think I may like the smaller 2 person timberline. When I placed the tape measures out the 9x7 looked awfully big to me.
            If you aren't going to be doing any backpacking, the 4 person would be the best way to go. When my wife and I go backpacking together, we take a 3 person tent because it gives us enough room to store things we need/want inside the tent, which is nice if the weather takes a turn.

Both Susan and I have single person tents, which we basically use when we go winter camping by ourselves - so I do have experience with single person tents.

When I am in the wilderness by myself, I take the 3 person tent because I have a llama carrying my load/s. It is like sleeping in a motel room, it is so big. There is plenty of room inside for me, my gear, and my dog.

But, given your question............... if no backpacking is involved, go with the 4 person tent. Enjoy!
            Chuck
            So. Oregon
            TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
            TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
            SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Two days ago I found a website selling refurbished Eureka tents and they had the Timberline 2 person tents for $61! That pretty much made up my mind.

They also had the Eureka Solitaire refurbished tents for $25! I bought one of those too!

Comment

Ebay has the BigAgnes Big House 4 tent available now for $239.00, and there's an auction in progress for one as well. Like Sierra Designs models, these are newly designed high end tents with near-vertical walls that will hold up for decades.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help!

I found a website selling refurbished Timberline 2 tents for $61! That price pretty much made up my mind which one to get!

They also had refurbished Eureka Solitaire tents for $25! Pretty darned good price!

I'll get the Timberline 2 set up and see just how much room it offers.

Thanks Everyone!

Nate

Comment

Working...
                  X