Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jersey/NY/PA Tent Sites

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and looking to get back into the camping mood. Went a lot when I was younger but not so much during high school, college and the few years since.

I live in Montclair, NJ so I am looking for campground recommendations throughout Northern Jersey, NY State and Eastern PA. In most cases, I'll be car/tent camping but should that prove enjoyable for my girlfriend and friends, I may step it up to some backpacking at some point.

Any other tips, suggestions you members may have are certainly welcome.

I look forward to learning a lot from this site!

Howdy darrenrogers and welcome to our little campfire. I'm from Reno, Nevada and have also been looking for great campsites in NJ, NY, and PA as well. From time to time I've come across some mostly from the internet. I've haven't had the opportunity to personally check out campgrounds because of the space and time thing with me being out west. There are other campers here from your neck of the woods so maybe they will give up some of their choice spots. In the meantime checkout the state parks in your area(AO). Good luck! If you find some, please make a note of them and offer some yourself to future campers here in the "Where to Go" section of these forum pages! Thanks!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

The weekend of April 16th-18th I have a couple of tent sites booked up at Worthington State Park along the Delaware River. I went camping outside of Asheville, NC last fall and my girlfriend "slept" half the night in a half flooded tent (her side :eek we borrowed from her brother. Luckily she's still indulging my rustic side but only after issuing me an ultimatum to buy a new, better tent. :rolleyes: So I'll be putting my new Nemo Losi 3-person tent through the paces this trip.

From what I've read, Worthington is a great location. Sleeping on the banks of the Delaware, hiking up to Sunfish Pond and up to the top of Mt Tammany. I'll be sure to post my post-trip thoughts :D

Comment

Worthington...

Hi Daren,

How was your trip? We were at Worthington the weekend before. It was our second time camping there and I love it! We didn't do much hiking this time because we had some of the younger kids, but we will next time we go -- sometime in May. I'm new to this site and if I can figure out how to find the url of my pics (?????) I'll post some. I usually camp with my sisters (I have 5) and the kids (there are about 8 of them). This trip was just 2 of the sis's and 5 kids. The sites along the river look great. They weren't open yet when we were there. Most of our camping is done in PA though -- state parks.

Comment

High Point State Park in NJ gets my vote...
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Hey darenrogers,

Yea, welcome to our campfire. I am really interested in you keepin' us posted about your camping in your end of the world. My wife, Susan, and I will be leaving Oregon next February in our sleeping van traveling counter clockwise around the perimeter of the US. We will be looking for recommendations of places to pull over, if we can't find a pasture, side road, hill, or whatever to sneak behind for the night.

There are great people here wanting nothing more than to make camping more enjoyable for everyone else. Don't hesitate to through us your knowledge, I think we all have learned something from listening to each other.
            Chuck
            So. Oregon
            TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
            TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
            SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Originally posted by trishaz717 View Post
              Hi Daren,

How was your trip? We were at Worthington the weekend before. It was our second time camping there and I love it! We didn't do much hiking this time because we had some of the younger kids, but we will next time we go -- sometime in May. I'm new to this site and if I can figure out how to find the url of my pics (?????) I'll post some. I usually camp with my sisters (I have 5) and the kids (there are about 8 of them). This trip was just 2 of the sis's and 5 kids. The sites along the river look great. They weren't open yet when we were there. Most of our camping is done in PA though -- state parks.
              My trip to Worthington was great! Ended up with a smaller crowd than anticipated...5 of us total. The rain was relentless on the way to the campground but miraculously ended just as we pulled into the campsite. Had two tent sites (#'s 13 and 14) right along the water. Made the hike to Sunfish Pond which was a workout on the legs but beautiful. I don't know how to imbed photos in my post either but here's a link to my picasa album http://picasaweb.google.com/darenrog...eat=directlink

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebait Ranch View Post
                Hey darenrogers,

Yea, welcome to our campfire. I am really interested in you keepin' us posted about your camping in your end of the world. My wife, Susan, and I will be leaving Oregon next February in our sleeping van traveling counter clockwise around the perimeter of the US. We will be looking for recommendations of places to pull over, if we can't find a pasture, side road, hill, or whatever to sneak behind for the night.

There are great people here wanting nothing more than to make camping more enjoyable for everyone else. Don't hesitate to through us your knowledge, I think we all have learned something from listening to each other.
                Eaglebait, I will absolutely share my experiences! By the time you make it around to my end of the world, I should have plenty more experiences to share. I'll be camping in MA next month and have plans to head up to New Hampshire in June. I'm envious of all the commentary regarding camping out West but will try my best to represent the Northeast .

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                  High Point State Park in NJ gets my vote...
                  Thanks tplife, I'm going to check it out. Did you happen to find a particular tent site or group of tent sites that was better than the rest - be it access to a trail, view, level ground, etc?

Comment

Alright, finally figured out how to imbed images. Here are shots from my weekend at Worthington. Enjoy!

View into PA from the Appalachian Trail.

My new tent. Nemo Losi - 3 person, which I highly recommend to anyone looking for a tent this size!

Sunfish Pond

This year's inaugural camping crew. (I'm the one with the red hat)

Comment

Great pictures Daren! Love that park! Here are some of our pictures. My nephew is standing on the tree. I'm in the black holding onto my sister.

Comment

Looks like you guys had a great time. And with your nephew wearing shorts and a t-shirt, better weather than I had!

Comment

Working...
                        X