Small trailer for gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small trailer for gear

We're planning a month long camping trip for next summer. I'm looking for a small (4x6 at the largest, and not too tall) trailer just for gear. We've got three kids in middle and high school and will be driving a minivan. We've done a lot of camping, but usually we go somewhere and stay for a week. There's not a whole lot of loading, unloading, loading involved. But for this trip, we'll probably stay at 15 different locations. And we'll be spending a lot of time on the road. A small trailer seems like it would make things a lot easier.

But we are on a budget. There are a number of small trailers for gear on the internet, but they all seem to be $2000 or more. Really, I don't want anything fancy, just a lockable, waterproof box. The only affordable option I've seen is purchasing a small frame trailer from harborfreight and building the box myself. This could be done for less than $500.

Any suggestions or affordable options out there?

Thanks!

Bill Altman

Howdy W, and welcome to the campfire with an excellent question! The first item that comes to mind is to checkout ebay and/or Craigslist. Craigslist is a very popular site and items listed there go "sold" very fast. I think it would be worth some time to investigate Craigslist. Just type Craigslist and your location and state and you'll be amazed at what is offered for sale. Other great campers here also have used Craigslist to their satisfaction as well as I. Others may chime in as well with other ideas so good luck in your quest! We hope your stay here will be a long and happy camping journey and that you'll stick around and share your past camping experiences with everyone? Welcome, friend!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Trailer

If you have the skills build it. That way it will be the way you like it. If you build it well most likely you will be able tos sell it for what you hav in it or more.

Comment

This is a one-time trip so I suggest renting a small trailer from U-haul. Then you can experience the downsides to pulling a trailer without the ownership and need to store, grease, register and haul the thing.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Ya I would say build it yourself!
          Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
          USMC Retired
          Scout/Sniper

Comment

Home Depot and Lowes both have utility trailers for sale, for less than $1000. Home Depot's trailers are a nice light-weight aluminum construction, and very easy to handle. You'd need to build the box over them though. But, they'd be nice for utility use too, if you ever need to haul something out-sized (like a home appliance).
            Like was said before though - for just a one-time use, rent from U-haul. They have a basic 4X6 box trailer.
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I to am in the market for a cargo trailer about the same size. In my area of the country, I have found several 4 X 6 and 5 X 8 cargo trailers used for around $1000. - $1200 bucks. I just missed out on a 5 X 8 duel axel for $950 that was sweet. The guy was in a divorce and needed the cash.

There are deals to be had you just gotta look. I am wanting to make mine into a camping trailer. I tent camp exclusively and with a family of 4, we have alot of gear. We always are extremely comfortable while enjoying the great outdoors. This trailer will allow me to keep all our camping supplies in one spot so when it's time to go, I just hook the trailer to my truck and away we go.

Good luck in your quest and keep us informed as to what direction you are going with your trailer. I am very interested.

Comment

Back when I had a full-fledge family and we went camping I had a friend of mine build a high standing 4x6 cargo carrier for next to nothing. Wish I still had it because then I could just keep it loaded and be ready to go campin' on a moment's notice. It was a hassle keeping it licensed and greased and spare tires aboard too, but I was already to go camping. The only bad problem came when I came across a rough 4x4 trail and had to inch my way over the two-track trail worried about the hitch and the ground clearance. If you don't travel rough two-tracks I wouldn't worry about it. But we now, hardily ever camp in an organized campground.
                Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

What about one of those platforms that goes on a trailer hitch? You could then put a large box on it to hold gear. Also, what about a Sears XCargo box or Thule box for the roof? No registration to worry about, no extra tires to worry about going flat, no additional tolls. One reason we have gotten out of pop up camper camping is due to the expense of tolls for the extra axle(s), registration fees, and maintenance.

Comment

Working...
                  X