2 Cots pushed together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Cots pushed together

My wife and I have always used air mattresses to sleep on but I'm tired of spending the money on new ones every year. And,

I've never slept on or owned a cot.

So, If I have 2 of the better, good, big cots from Cabelas and 2 good pads, can I push them together so my wife and I sleep together, under the same covers? Or will the sides of the cots, that are together be too high?? Or too much of a 'seam' to sleep on???

I realize that for cold weather camping, this won't work very well, as far as keeping warm...

I hate to sound like a broken record, but unless you're sleeping in a heated enclosure, most hypothermia occurs at between 30 and 50-degrees F. A cot is as much a risk as a hollow-tube air mattress at being a heat sink. ThermaRest carries many thicknesses of the Rolls-Royce of sleepiing pads, easy to pack and store, and guaranteed for life. A coupling kit makes a cozy double bed with no seams and no outdoor risks. :cool:
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Having tried to sleep on two twin beds pushed together, I don't think this would be very comfortable. We have a cot that my nephew uses when he stays the night and it's kind of squeaky, too.

One thing I've thought of is making a bed "frame" with some plywood on milk crates or other rugged bins, then putting an airbed or camping pad on top. The frame would come apart for easy storage. I've considered rescuing a sofa bed from Craigslist just to take the mattress for camping!

But then Dh convinced me today to buy a double high airbed. Walmart has a basic one (no pump) for $38. There's a great video on YouTube about how to find an air leak in an airbed, and a few on how to patch them. Might be worth watching and you may be able to save your existing bed!
      Last edited by EnglishTeacha; 04-21-2010, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Maybe this will help with your sleeping system for camping.

http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/thermarest.html
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
          I hate to sound like a broken record, but unless you're sleeping in a heated enclosure, most hypothermia occurs at between 30 and 50-degrees F. A cot is as much a risk as a hollow-tube air mattress at being a heat sink. ThermaRest carries many thicknesses of the Rolls-Royce of sleepiing pads, easy to pack and store, and guaranteed for life. A coupling kit makes a cozy double bed with no seams and no outdoor risks. :cool:
          We have two coupling kits each of which zipper two pads to a sleeping bag. Add a queen sized bag liner and we're snug and comfy.

Comment

oh come on

camping isn't camping unless you're on the ground risking sleeping on rock.

Just kidding. That doesn't sound too comfortable to me.
            Needs for Facebook Fans. My mom doesn't really count. http://bit.ly/d7QHYI

Comment

My four year old son liked to pull his cot next to Daddy's last year when we went becuase it was scary. Is it comfortable sure but at least in my case since you sink into your cot and down a little bit you will be sleeping on your own cot and her on hers. There is no middle ground if that is the answer your looking for.

Or maybe this is the answer you are looking for. There will not be a romantic interlude with this set up becuse the cots are not level and the bars in the middle are not made to bear weight. I ruined a couple of the walmart cheapies sitting on the edge to put my shoes on.

Comment

rxcamping: The main argument for "Kids in a second tent!!!" Fresh air makes everyone frisky!

Comment

No more airbeds for me!

Originally posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
                  My wife and I have always used air mattresses to sleep on but I'm tired of spending the money on new ones every year. And,

I've never slept on or owned a cot.

So, If I have 2 of the better, good, big cots from Cabelas and 2 good pads, can I push them together so my wife and I sleep together, under the same covers? Or will the sides of the cots, that are together be too high?? Or too much of a 'seam' to sleep on???

I realize that for cold weather camping, this won't work very well, as far as keeping warm...
                  I had this same problem with regards to airbeds. I was sick sick sick of
                  buying a new one every Spring for my camping adventures. In the past
                  I've helped my friends assemble their cots and it's disasterous. So hard
                  to get that last bar on.

This year I bought a Coleman Ridgeline II. OMG! I've wasted so many
                  years on an airbed. This cot has fold out legs, springs and comes with
                  a thick foam pad. Doesn't squeak or tip when I sit on the edge either.
                  My husband is 275 lbs (don't snicker) and even though the cot is maxed
                  for 225 lbs, he slept fine without compromising the structural integrity of
                  the cot. In other words, his big butt didn't break it! :p

Aside from cuddling on the ground, there's no 'happy times' under the
                  covers for us. I'm not buying anything else for camping! Lol.

Oh and TP - we store gear under our cots so the space isn't exactly void.

Comment

Working...
                  X