Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new tent (and my old tent)

Hi All,

Before I begin, let me tell you about my first tent: LL Bean Vector XL 6. It was an awesome tent. I followed all the instructions on this site - sealed the seams, waterproofed the fly, etc... It never let me down. Camped in multiple days of heavy rain, strong winds and deep snow and not one drop of water got inside. Spent two nights in the middle of the desert at Mojave Preserve with high winds that cleared out half the tenters - my tent stood strong. I don't often see Bean tents mentioned around here, but they are excellent quality.

The only reason I returned it is because at almost 10x10, it was too large for some campsites. I had to set up right against the picnic table some times.

Called customer service.. they have a lifetime return policy on all their gear - sweet They refunded my $350 no questions asked, after 6 months of use.

Went to REI and did some smart shopping. If you're a member at REI, you get a cash-back dividend every year and a 20% off coupon on one item. I got the new North Face Mountain Manor 4 tent (Spring 2010 model) which sells for $459. After my discount, it cost $340... but wait, after my Bean refund, it was free!

The North Face looks awesome. Full coverage fly, high-low venting, vestibules, duffel bag case... looking forward to an great summer of camping with it.

Wow LL bean sounds like the way to go. Congrats on your new tent. A new tent for nothing almost unheard of. Some guys have all the luck.
    Last edited by rxcamping; 04-30-2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rxcamping View Post
      Wow LL bean sounds like the way to go. Congrats on your new tent. A new tent for nothing almost unheard of. Some guys have all the luck.
      He bought a Northface, the LL bean was the old tent. Northface makes a great tent, unfortunately REI prices are way out of my budget. Ebay has a lot of their tents new-in-the-box for a lot less. What's in your wallet? :D
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Hi TP life,

I got that the LL bean was the old tent. I was impressed with the testimony he gave for it and the fact they took it back after he used it for 6 months. Would seem the LL bean tent was a very good buy. Just not the right size for his needs.

Comment

Another thing which is nice about LL Bean is that most items purchased have no shipping fees and that is very important to wallet minded folks who like outdoor wear and camping supplies. LL Bean used to be very expensive but they have lowered their prices on some things. REI has excellent quality, and prices can be a little high-end, but a person never has to worry about quality. Five years ago I purchased wool socks from them and they are still good as new($16/pair). Love my wool socks!

Our "Dirigo" Old Town tandem kayak is also from LL Bean, hence free shipping from Maine to Nevada!
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

If you believe shipping is free, I have a cool wooden bridge back home in South Jersey that I can get you a good price on if you act now! I like the fact that they carry Big Agnes and Mountain HardWear, tow high-end tent brands. Seriously, REI wants $459.00 and $199.00 (before taxes)for the two tents I bought on Ebay new-in-the-box for $190.00 and $90.00. They're the same tents from the same manufacturer with the same warrantee, lifetime guarantee. :eek:
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

TP, I ain't talkin' 'bout REI, ship to your closest store is free though. I was talkin' about LL Bean. Yes, they have free shipping or we wouldn't have bought the tandem kayak from them. It was delievered right to our house and the price was cheaper than we found at Sport's chalet and Sportsman's Warehouse. REI doesn't deal with this kind of 'yak. They can get it, but shipping is crazy and the price alone for a tandem kayak(sit-in) is almost triple to what we paid to LL Bean! Truth be told. But you have to have an LL Bean Credit Card, if you use your credit card then shipping is free, by cracky!

You are talkin tents and I'm talkin' kayaks two different animals, but LL Bean doesn't charge shipping for their tents if you use your LL Bean Credit Card.
              Last edited by renodesertfox; 04-30-2010, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Congrats on the North Face, it is a great tent that should last you a lifetime if properly taken care of. I also shop at REI and took advantage of their 20% off sale. They offer free shipping on orders over $75.00. I bought my Big Agnes Big House 6 w/ vestibule from REI as well as other products. Their quality and customer service is outstanding. Granted, they have some high prices on some items but if you keep your eyes out you can get some top quality items at very good prices.

Again, congrats on the new tent. Post up some pics when you break her in.

Comment

Ditto! Congrats on the new Northface Tent Pacific3000! Yes, do post up some photos of the tent! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by pacific3000 View Post
                    The North Face looks awesome. Full coverage fly, high-low venting, vestibules, duffel bag case... looking forward to an great summer of camping with it.
                    When I spring/summer backpack I use a 3 person, 3 season North Face, free standing tent and love it. Susan and I use it for winter backpacking and have had no problems with it.

Enjoy yours!
                    Chuck
                    So. Oregon
                    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
                    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
                    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Working...
                    X