Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moutain Climbing Backpacks for Regular Camping

Hi Everyone,

I have started to notice more and more of these mountain climbing backpacks being sold as regular camping equipment. I have never used one before and was curious what you guys thought of them. Do you think they are really useful for regular camping or is it, as I suspect, just marketing hype?

Best,
    Jeff Marshall
    Tent Camping Tips

Mtn climbing backpacks for reg. camping

Howdy Jeff,

Sorry I kinda left you in the dark and didn't even look at your question and of course you signed on this site well before I. But to kind of answer your question about mtn climbing backpacks in regular camping sure its a market strategy but people should remember that a good backpack whether for regular tent camping, bike camping or even RV camping could come in handy if you decided to take a day trip a foot somewhere or an extended backpacking trip into the rugged outdoors. A good backpack will surely come in handy whatever the use as to a bad backpack. It again boils down to individual taste in what a person would use a mtn climbing backpack for.

If you're a boulder bunny or a trail master it doesn't matter as long as the backpack you're chosen fits you well and it should be able to carry whatever you take in the field comfortably. Even I am guilty of choosing the wrong pack at times. When I was younger and had little children we decided to use their school backpacks for a camping foray. Bad mistake, as soon as I put a load in it the straps ripped and we found out that instead of just replacing just a school backpack we also had to purchase a backpack that would carry enough food and water...whatever else we wanted for our hiking trips. A good backpack is essential to one's camping experience.

We now have a backpack just for kayaking, another one for day hikes and yet a third or fourth backpack for extended stays. And then there are some people that use backpacks on a daily basis wherever they live. Nothing wrong with that either.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Howdy, Jeff!
      Since I'm ex-military, my preferences run toward the more modular designs, with lots of pockets and pouches - "a place for everything and everything in it's place!"
      I don't want to have to empty out the entire pack to get the one item at the bottom of the single bag.
      I also believe the outdoor magazines are hyping these 'mountain packs' due to the companies being big sponsors.
      But then, I don't climb mountains..... :D
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
      X