Tent Campin': July 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Campin': July 2010

We will be Kodiak Canvas Tent camping from July 11th(Sunday) to July 18(Sunday), 2010 to Juniper Lake, CA. Juniper Lake is located in the backcountry of Lassen Volcanic National Park. There are only 18 tent only sites that cannot be reserved. The campground opens July 1. Juniper Lake is northwest of the town of Chester, CA. I'll add more info and gps locations soon. Thanks for looking! What are your plans for this July?

Disregard the above except for the dates! Instead we've decided with all the snow melt now happening in June & July 2010 we will be heading to Yosemite Creek Primitive CG. It's off the Tioga Rd which is tentatively planned to open mid-June. The road in is a 4 1/2 mile 4x4 two track downhill to the base of Mt. Hoffman. It's about an hour from Yosemite Valley Floor and one of the least visited campgrounds in the park. The last time we camped in Yosemite was in 1988. It'll be fun!:D
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-26-2010, 10:16 AM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Forget Yosemite

Okay...update to my earlier ramble. We found a new hide-a-way, so I ain't given no specifics! The campground is free(not dispersed), another campground not to far away from the free campground is $2.50 per night and on a lake that only allows non-motorized boats. We are leaving for this secret July 11(7/11) and not returning till July 21st. I'll tell ya it's only 4 miles off a main artery but it's a rugged two-track trail & very little wiggle room! Ha Ha!! And it's less than 2 hours out of Reno!

We decided to do this instead of Yosemite...we are thinking we might do Yosemite this autumn or winter when the crowds thin out. Don't like crowds!
    And we don't make reservations and we've been to national parks both east and west without reservations but of course during their off season lull!
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 06-22-2010, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Sounds like an ideal camping trip! And 'cheap' is always great!
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Thanks Lance, btw, we are gonna go too over the 4th of July and take our chances. The road into this hide-a-way is rocky & rough and we giggled as we past a couple of sedans that got stuck on boulders. One guy said he had already called a tow but the other fella was happy that I had tow straps so I hook it up and pulled him out. He was gonna have to get a new muffler. Ya know, religion forgives but rocks don't! Ha Ha Ha! Then we drove in ourselves!:D

Comment

July 5th for me

We'll be up in Old Orchard Beach, ME after the 4th. It'll be hybrid camping - Cabin for the wife and of course tent camping for me.
          Needs for Facebook Fans. My mom doesn't really count. http://bit.ly/d7QHYI

Comment

We're going camping to Valdez over the Independence Day weekend. Heading out after hubby gets off work Thursday, driving halfway and camping that night and heading out the next morning for the rest of the trip down.
            May you always have love to share,
            Health to spare
            And friends that care.

Comment

Update

Just came in to check on what's up...still camping at Goose Lake, Lake Basin Rec Area until 7-5-10. Then back here for five days and then gone again campin from 7-10 to 7-21 to Lassen National Park, CA. In the back country with fire permit in hand!

Heading back to Goose Lake today about 3 PM Pacific Time! Get camping! By Cracky!!:eek:

Comment

Heading out Friday around noon coming back Sunday evening. Ordered 400 clams for Friday and 16lbs of wings for the next night. Corona's and Vodka and Cranberry all weekend with alot of "Washers" cannot wait

Comment

Hope everyone had a great holiday! As for me it was awesome, got chilly friday night but thats better than hot anytime. Drank some cold ones, played some "washers" ate great! Oh and by the way in one of the many clams I ate I found a pearl!!!!!!! No Jive! I will post pics later

Comment

We're back also! That was 12 days of almost camping bliss, our spot was the last site on a short peninsula so the non-paying "day users" thought they had a right to our campsite too! I challenged everyone that came by(you know me) and most left. DesertRose also brought her 350Z which gave us a second vehicle to tool around in(top down)!! I blocked the entrance into the campsite 3 with the WJ. That made everyone who thought they could drive up, turn around in a rough narrow 4x4 road. Ya can't see that site until you're almost there! Ha Ha! I had a great time defending my payed spot! The last day...I went over to where our kayak lay and there were two young teenagers copulating so I thanked them for the show. They hurriedly dressed and left!! Then Rose brought coffee over and we went early morning 'yakin'! Ha Ha! Nice spot, but next time I'm gonna find a more remote spot, some locals there told me that they have never seen anyone ever camp there before and it's a normal place for parties! Well, this 4th there were none, except for the two kids that came to share a sunrise together! Ha Ha!

There were also a couple of people that had tried to get their 14' trailers back there and they had a devil of a time turning around once they had discovered that the first come first served site actually had someone campin there since June 24th!! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!! Desert Rose though, didn't like all the people that came by, we were looking for a remote spot. So we are back looking and will be going again soon to another place in the Sierra soon! This weekend or next!
                    Last edited by renodesertfox; 07-06-2010, 09:10 AM.

Comment

We did the major group scene a couple of weeks ago at Lake Lahontan with approx. 125 of our close friends and not so close friends and it was an experience to be sure. This weekend we're opting for a touch more solitude (and better trout fishing), and heading out to Frenchman Lake in northern CA for the weekend. We slayed some big rainbows over memorial weekend there, ok not literally slayed as we turned them all loose, much to the chagrin of others who were killing every fish they caught, but if anything, the fishing promisses to be even more exciting this time around!

Comment

Very funny about the lovers!

We are taking grandkids tent camping to Idaho, Montana and Canada. I have camped all my life when younger and we sold old motorhome a few years ago and thought we would teach these city kids a thing or two.

I am wondering does anyone just go anymore or does everyone get reservations first?

:confused:

Comment

Glad you joined Marla and thanks for the positive feedback. To answer your question its yes and no. Some go camping without a reservation and some don't. There are other threads that address this issue. This thread is for plans about where you are going and a short summary when you get back.

You can also start your own thread by asking that question if you don't see it on page 1,2,3, or 4. Or you can respond(with a post) to that question even if you found it on page 15. Just want to keep the question here about peoples' plans to camp during a given month. Thanks! No harm done.

Comment

Hi Marla,
                            For us it just depends on our intended location and it's popularity. Holiday weekends in the sierras can be rough if you don't have a reservation, as well as anywhere else I suppose. Having said that, we had no trouble finding a place memorial weekend without a reservation. If you have nearby 2nd and 3rd choice campgrounds, it certainly increases your odds. For the most part though, we just pack and go and prefer to avoid the reservation hotlines. Heck, part of the reason we go camping is to get away from the stuctured timetables that we have to live by in real life. Either way, as long as you're having fun, how you got there is secondary!

Comment

Great, but to get back on track....choo choo!

We are going camping again this month from 7-17 through 7-26 hopefully to Juniper Lake, Lassen Volcanic National Park, CA. No reservations accepted, it's first come first served! That's the only way to go...no reservations! Because of all the snow there the NPS isn't opening up the backcountry until 7-16.

Comment

Working...
                              X