Who's Tent Campin': August 2010?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Tent Campin': August 2010?

Aug 6, 2010 is my birthday(58) and lands on a Friday this year...so that weekend plus a few days we will head to Blue Lakes south of Lake Tahoe. More info soon!
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 07-25-2010, 04:54 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Aug.2010 campin update

Blue Lakes it is! 8136' elevation, not as high as Fryingpan Campground that we went to in August 2009. (for photos see my photo albums) Fryingpan is located in central Utah in the Mytoge Mtns. near Fish Lake, Utah.

Anyway, Blue Lakes is located south of Lake Tahoe and doesn't open this year until August 1, so that's about right for us. It's in the Red Lake Wildlife Management Area and south of Cal SR 88 between the villages of Markleeville and Kirkwood. It's in the national forest called the Mokelumne Wilderness and is the extreme northern area just north of Yosemite NP. The road SR88 isn't plowed in the winter so perhaps from our research there could still be patches of snow around. But we ain't leaving until Friday, 8-05, just so ya know you're still stuck with me as the mod wagonmaster....so get campin, by cracky! Happy to see that everyone is and some are even takin their laptops with to stay afloat here while they're downrange! :D

Comment

I'm taking mrs fable and the dog out to Tahoe Nat'l Forest in August, we reserved a site at the Sierra campground, outside of Sierraville.

I was a little concerned because there is no running water, but they do have restrooms, which is important for the wife.

Pretty excited, wish me luck, my wife is a city girl and I finally convinced her to come with me :eek:

Comment

Excellent fable....Bassetts General Store is just 5 miles west of Sierra CG. They also serve good pies and ice cream too(many flavors). Chapman Creek Campground is only 3 miles east of Sierra CG and they have running water, so if ya take a couple of plastic water jugs(Walmart) they will fold down while traveling and then fill 'em up at Chapman Creek or Bassetts. Bassetts charge 1 dollar per gallon but Chapman Creek the water is free! Have fun, you'll be camping alongside the north fork of the Yuba River and it's about 6800'. Cool nights!

Comment

Have our site reserved for Long Point CG on Antelope Lake for the first week in August.I understand that the bass fishing has really picked up, so it should make for a plesant and scenic change from our usual trout fishing destinations.

Comment

going to lake george mid august for 7 days camping in our new eureka copper canyon cant wait

Comment

"Early Riser", Susan's trail name, and I will be heading to Stevenson, on the Columbia River, so she can start her solo walk north on the PCT..... Maybe ending at the Canadian border..... Aug. 16. "Billy's Buddy", my trail name, will be her supply wagon, meeting her every 4-5 days. While she is poundin' trail, I will be taking side trail walks waiting for her to show up.

We are not taking Billy so that I can get some strength work carrying a pack, preparing for our trek to Tasmania in November for some backpacking there.
              Chuck
              So. Oregon
              TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
              TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
              SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebait Ranch View Post
                "Early Riser", Susan's trail name, and I will be heading to Stevenson, on the Columbia River, so she can start her solo walk north on the PCT..... Maybe ending at the Canadian border..... Aug. 16. "Billy's Buddy", my trail name, will be her supply wagon, meeting her every 4-5 days. While she is poundin' trail, I will be taking side trail walks waiting for her to show up.

We are not taking Billy so that I can get some strength work carrying a pack, preparing for our trek to Tasmania in November for some backpacking there.
                What do you have trail names? Are they like handles that truckers use on the radio?
                May you always have love to share,
                Health to spare
                And friends that care.

Comment

We will be camping for the first time in 10 years this month. We still have most of the gear - just need to get a new tent. We're really looking forward to getting back to it! (only this time we'll be using an air mattress, we're a LOT older than we used to be) We'll just be at a state park here in Ohio - close to home, so we can ease back into it! Making our lists......

Comment

Birthday Camp

Everyone's enjoying the rest of the summer...guess it's hot some places, but here's my update. Friday 8-6-10 we are cuttin out to Blue Lakes at 8100' elevation. Just a short weekend camp/yak session and will be back in the PM on Monday, 8-9-10. It's advertised to be a great fishin spot for trout, I'll be throwin flies! This is another first come/served campground so we hope we can land a spot in the mountains. 8-6 'twill be my 58th bday, reckon my present to me is campin!:D

Comment

Originally posted by nearlywild View Post
                      What do you have trail names? Are they like handles that truckers use on the radio?
                      Yes, part of the code of experienced backpackers is a trail name. I have run in to a few through PCT hikers this year who have run into Early Riser, but wouldn't have a clue who she was if she said her name was Susan.

Anyone with long distance experience on the PCT, for instance, knows Billy Goat. He has annually done a through hike of the PCT for the past 7-8 years. "Through the grapevine" of communication on the trail, almost any through PCT hiker can tell you where Billy Goat is on the trail. In his case, other hikers keep "an eye" on where he is on his walks.

I'm sure truckers do the same with others they know via personal handles.
                      Chuck
                      So. Oregon
                      TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
                      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
                      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Changed Plans

Okay....here's our new plans! It's my birthday weekend and it will be special!!!!

Tonight....Aug 5 we are takin the 350Z on a cruise towards Frisco!...We will spend the night in Fairfield, CA. Then on Friday, Aug 6th we motor into Frisco and will see Peter White(Jazz Guitarist) in a quartet setting at Yoshi's Japanese Jazz Club at 8 PM. Early Saturday morning we are driving back to Reno, park the Z, jump into the WJ and drive two hours to Blue Lakes for dispersed camping. I have my fire permit in hand. Then we'll camp until late Monday PM and come back to Reno! Hey, it's for me! Desert Rose surprised me last night with tickets a nice hotel room and a dinner reservation at Yoshi's just before the performance by this gifted musician! Jeep's loaded, ready to go....it'll be a blast!:D:D

Comment

Hey, I have been to Fairfield, California! It's just north of Mare Island/Vallejo where I had a couple Navy Schools. The first couple days I got there, they had a really nice airshow! Great way to spend a weekend!

Beautiful country in northern California - but no way I could live there - the laws purely suck and I'd likely go to jail for killing a robber....... :o
                          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Hey Hey...Big Dawg!
                            You're a good friend...some day I hope we can camp together....maybe down the road a-ways! Not too close! Woof! I liked that a lot! To tell ya the truth...I hate murdercycles, lost good friends that-a-ways! Pard!

Comment

RDF, it's a risk we that ride accept in order to experience the open road in a way that's simply not possible locked up in a cage. I've been riding in one form or another since the mid 70's, and can relate to losses we sometime experience. Are they dangerous? More often than not, it's the auto drivers that don't see us, or don't care, that make it so, but sure it can be. Then again so can riding in a car, firearms, alcohol, swimming, canoeing, even camping.... but we do it all anyways and accept the risks. Can't take it too serious...afterall, noone gets out alive

Comment

Working...
                              X