• Show
Clear All

Re: What do you do when it rains?

i got rained out this past weekend,
    i was working outside in light rain during the day,
    lat in afternoon went to my camp to camp out,
    i was wet, boots had a hole in them and got dunked in the swamp,
    i did manage to set up camp, get a good fire going, and tried to warm up,
    but wasnt enough, couldnt shake the chills, temps were in the 30's and expected to drop to the 20's overnight.
    instead of risking something worse than a cold, in the middle of the night i packed it up.
    i wasnt prepared for the weather, and the cold.
    first thing on my shopping list is new boots

Comment

I do a lot of flyfishing when I go camping, so unless it is a thunderstorm dropping rain I go fishing, a lot of bugs hatch during a rain and it gets the fish in a feeding mode.
      I’m a self-made man, I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Comment

the first time in almost 40 years we went camping at Bennitt Springs MO. on the second day the rain came rather suddenly, in our new tent, we just bought (Coleman Blue Springs)it raind steady all night and mid day, we stayed completely dry inside. However, we felt it best to pack up and go home at mid day because rain was called for two more days. We listened to the radio, played games, and went out for a drive.

When we got home (no rain here) we hung out the tent for three days and then my wife folded it up and packed it back up IN THE BOX IT CAME IN!!!! I still don't know how she does it.
        Last edited by farout; 11-11-2013, 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Sleep! Last time it rained it came a gulley-washer about 8am, with lots of lightning. Rained HARD until about 11. My sixteen year old daughter got scared over on the other side of the tent on her queen-sized mattress. I told her to just snuggle-bunny up and sleep. I did too on my own queen mattress. She woke me up about 9:30 to show me that the bottom of the tent was floating up. The water was so deep it was under the tent. We stayed dry as "dry" can be in a rain like that... a relative term in a tent, better described as dry as 100% humidity will allow in a tent. Anyone who has rode one out in a tent knows the concept of dry is not really dry, nor wet, but slightly damp after about thirty minutes...but it seems "dry" at the time!

My vote for the Seattle Sombrero. Got mine in camo, and it is always in the poacher pouch in the back of my tac smock.

Comment

"and then my wife folded it up and packed it back up IN THE BOX IT CAME IN!!!!"

Just where were these women when I was looking?

Comment

I looked high and low, in the right places! You can't find a real Bible believing special woman is a bar. I found my bride of almost 45 years by several other Christian friends that thought we just might be right for each other. We actually went roller skating on our first date, we prayed together, went to church and things that gave her respect and She learned to trust me. I showed her I could protect her, support her and most of all I learned to love her with all my heart. God was in it from the start and still grows our love more each day. How's that for mushy gushy lovey dubby stuff on a camping forum?

Comment

Comment deleted
                Last edited by MacGyver; 02-01-2014, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Well, if you have a good waterproof tent it helps. But if I am not backpacking, and I have a car with me I always take at least two tarps. One is to put on the ground, the other is to put on the already waterproof tent when it rains. The ground tarp will prevent the rainwater from soaking your tent through the floor. The extra tarp can be put on the tent if it starts raining heavily. Have a raincoat for that few minutes it will take to put on the tarp.

Comment

Hey man,
                    Yeah rainy days can be a bummer if you want to spend your time outdoors. Luckily these days there's lots to do like on tablets, phones, laptops and so on. Personally I like to take some kit with me, like airplane models or boats that you can build. Especially fun when you travel with kids! We love to build and fly radio-controlled airplanes a lot and spend rainy days fixing/cleaning them. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X