No announcement yet.

Guyline ties...How Do You Tie Yours?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guyline ties...How Do You Tie Yours?...

I have always just tied the typical slip knot and never even thought about using those lil plastic thingys. Its just 2nd nature now. However, I watched a guy setup a tent this past weekend and he used those lil plastic deals and he seemed to just fly through setting up his guylines.

When I got home, I decided to give those a look and I hate to admit this but danged if I can figure them out. I have camped for 40 years and never used them but I am now intrigued in how they work. I have looked at you tube but the guy who had a filmclip of the proper way to use them actually did it the wrong according to his edit.

Anyway, how does everyone else tie their guylines and is it easier to use those plastic thingys? From a distance, it looked really simple and efficient. However, once I tried to do it, it seems like a bunch of bunk. Somebody show me the light.

Here's what you do(have no fear Renodesertfox is here) Ha Ha!

Holding the plastic piece flat...Top of it we'll call North, bottom we'll call South.

Tent rope through the top hole (North to South)
    Then through the second hole (South to North)
    Then the rope goes around the stake
    Then through the third hole(South to North)
    Tie a knot after going through the third hole

Pull the slack through using the piece of rope between hole 1 and 2.

And I'm a monkey's uncle! See it's that easy!

When you pound down your tent stakes, take a hammer, not a rock like a caveman would do. Don't put your stakes straight in at 90 degrees to the tent. An angle of 60% is good with the tip of the stake under the tent area. Good luck!

BTW: Learn to tie almost any knot. http://tollesburysc.co.uk/knots when you get the directory scroll down and find a knot click on a knot and ".htm," click that title and start learning. It is a sailing site.

Also SMC, since you were asking, if you go to page two in this sub-forum "tent campin" you'll see that someone else asked before you and if you read through all of the pages you'll find out that this question has been asked 1/2 dozen times! The answer is always the same! It's easy! Have fun learning knots!:D:D And I like sharin! Ha Ha Ha !!!

With the Kodiak it's easy to tie a double half-hitch, quick and easy but it's really easy using the above method, practice makes perfecto!
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 06-03-2010, 03:37 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks Reno, I was sorta embarrassed to ask. Now I am even more embarrassed that I could not find the answer on here. Thanks for setting me straight and I will see if I can be a bit more dilligent in my search for knowledge.

I am off to try out my new found knowledge. Thanks and have fun on your camp this weekend. Be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey Mtn. Camper View Post
        Thanks Reno, I was sorta embarrassed to ask. Now I am even more embarrassed that I could not find the answer on here. Thanks for setting me straight and I will see if I can be a bit more dilligent in my search for knowledge.

I am off to try out my new found knowledge. Thanks and have fun on your camp this weekend. Be safe.
        Never need to feel embrassed to ask a question! An un-asked question is a question not answered. And you don't really have to do any research before you ask a question. Everyone that is here is here for one reason only: we like to chat about camping! And we all love to chat and help each other out. Every year we chat about tents, pitching tent, striking tents, food, stoves, the list goes on and on, but we continue. No big deal!!!!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
        X