Tent Camping on California Beaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Camping on California Beaches

Hey everyone, I'm planning a road trip from Northern Washington to Southern California and was wondering if anyone could recommend some public beaches along the coast where tent camping is allowed. Free ones would be preferred since the point of this camping is more to save money (but also because it would just be fun).

Thanks!

Doheny Beach, San Onofre Beach, and South Carlsbad have campgrounds next to (but not on) the beach where you can tent camp. There are no free ones, they are expensive campsites, and you will need reservations far in advance, unless you show up in the evening for cancellation spaces, first come/first served. The spaces are ridiculously small and they have strict rules regarding # of vehicles (3, that includes your rig if not a tent) and # of people per campsite.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Also Bolsa Chica. If you have time to plan, consider Camp Surf
      in Imperial Beach, CA. They have tent camping on the strand.
      We LOVE IT! It's run by the YMCA, 100% organized/professional.

They have structured activities including surf lessons and free
      board usage. They also provide hot showers and restrooms. Oh
      and I did I mention 3 square HEALTHY meals a day? LOL. $105/pp
      for Fri-Sun. Not bad considering all of your food is included.

We take our GS there every year and the weather is gorgeous.
      It's a private beach too, leased from the US Navy so you have an
      entire beach to yourself! So much fun.

Comment

Working...
      X