Unexpectedly Tent Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpectedly Tent Camping

Just posted on the trailer section but our plans to take our Pop-up up to South Dakota (Badlands, Black Hills, Mount Rushmore) have suddenly changed. The pop-up is a roof collapse, soggy mess missing one lugbolt. :(

SO, we are taking our tent. Got our air mattress, sleeping bag, good cooler, lanterns (both gas and electric). It's been a long time since I've been tent camping (don't think Iraq counts does it?). Anything that will make it more comfortable or convenient? I'll do some looking on here but want to see what y'all think.

Yes Iraq counts, but you will have to go to the surplus stores to re-fit your outfit! Ha Ha!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Tarps...take tarps and extra guylines to help with any bad weather. I also reccomend a first aid kit in case of minor injury. You need a way to cook...either a stove or a dutch oven over the campfire.

Depending on your "gear space" I would suggest a easy up awning with a screen to give you a place to escape rain and bugs. You can always use a tarp to accomplish this but its always easier to just pop up your awning and start enjoying.

I have lots of suggestions but I luxery tent camp so I take everything I can pack in my space. I might not be the best to suggest things for a camping trip. :D

Comment

Fortunately, we will have the luxury of having the in-laws camper with us so the cooking source and shower etc are provided

Comment

More stuff

Tent fans in case it's muggy and your tent doesn't get good ventilation. A broom to sweep out dirt/debris will make things a bit cleaner.

I also second the tarps, one for underneath (sometimes called a footprint) and one for above if you think it's going to rain.

Eric
          Needs for Facebook Fans. My mom doesn't really count. http://bit.ly/d7QHYI

Comment

Well, a little more than halfway through our trip. Been a great trip! My older son (7) stayed the first couple of nights in the grandparents RV but decided he liked the tent the last few nights. We ended up using the grandparents Coleman Ozone dome tent and it's work well. We've stayed dry through several storms up here in the black hills.

Most annoying issue we've had is that our airmattress slowly loose air through the valve over night and I end up on the ground. When we get back I'll start looking for other options (kinda fed up with air mattresses).

The other thing I miss with having our pop-up is privacy. It is hard to have in private time for (ahem) marital issues in a tent :(.

Comment

Aerobed: http://www.aerobed.com/ has very good air mattresses that won't over inflate, ever! Their valves have never given us a problem and we own two...one for us and one if somebody sleeps over here with us in Reno. We have had Aerobed now for five years running, still providing us comfort! And if you haven't figured it out yet...we camp a lot! We like to camp at least 25-30 weekends per year and we have been keeping up that pace for the last 4 years ever since our youngest left this nest! We even moved to a smaller house in a smaller town so they can't come back to live!

Concerning that privacy thing...you're on your own!
              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
              X