A Hello and some questions about Yellowstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hello and some questions about Yellowstone

Found this site doing some homework on tents and camping. Planning on a camping trip to yellowstone this month with my girlfriend and her 3 kids. I have camped before but the last time was probably 8 years ago and they have never camped before, so this might be interesting! We are from WI and will be driving out there in our chevy malibu, smaller trunk. I read the first page of posts here and will continue to search but have a few specific questions.

We don't have many things that we need and will be purchasing them in the next couple weeks. I have been reading all I can for the last couple days trying to find what to get.

As for a tent we will be buying a decent sized one, haven't decided on one but will be going to gander mountain and dicks to compare and pick one out. I will be getting extra stakes right away. Also read about putting a tarp under the tent, is this a good idea to protect the bottom from rips? Also read about sealing the seams, should I set the tent up at home and seal all the seams right away? Anything else with new tents, I have had one before but was younger and wasn't really concerned with things lasting back then, just wanted to set it up and start the drinking! Little more grown up now and want to do things right.

Will be buying a propane stove/grill, trying to find one used since we don't camp a lot. Will see how this goes, if we don't find one used we will have to buy one new. Also planning on getting a tripod to cook over the fire. And going to bring some pots and pans and of coarse a pudgie pie maker!

I have some questions about camping at yellowstone since I"ve never been there before. Can anyone tell me if the campsites have a fire pit and about getting firewood there? Can I buy it or find fallen trees in the woods?

Also need some info on "bear proofing" our campsite. I have never camped where I needed to bear proof before. We will have a cooler for our perishables. And planning on a rubbermaid bin for bread and other non perishable food. I assume I just put these in the car when not in use? Is food alright in the car or will that still attract bears? What about garbage at yellowstone, I assume they have bins that I should throw away all garbage after every meal?

And one last question that I can think of right now, what about water? Was thinking about bringing either a blue water container or gallon jugs. Does anyone know if I they have spots to refill jugs with drinking water?

And anything else you might be able to share about camping at yellowstone for someone that's never been there. Trying to be as prepared as possible, if it was just me I would be fine if I forgot someething but with 4 girls I better make sure everything is there or it will be a long vacation for me!

Thanks everyone

Here's a quick response. Water: All the campgrounds have water available, use what containers you think you want to use.

Firewood: It's a National Park...so everything is protected. Heavy fines for picking up dead fall! Leave it alone. All campsites have a host where you can buy firewood. $5-7 a bundle.

Campgrounds other than three designed for mobile homes(camp trailers and RVs) are on first come first serve basis, you cannot reserve ahead of time. Since your coming from The Midwest, I suggest you enter the northeast corner through Red-stone Montana! Beautiful country, Bear-Tooth Hwy, is fantastic!! Northeast campgrounds are the least populated ones, but they are also further from the major attractions.

Bears: All campgrounds have bear proof containers(steel) and are rather big to hold a lot of stuff. Put all of your food, soap, anything that smells, even candy in the bear-proof canisters. There is one canister per campsite and use it. If you have a problem and the rangers find out that you didn't secure everything(like toothpaste) you could be fined as well. This is the age where everyone is concerned with protecting bears from people, not protecting people from bears. Everything with an odor goes into the bear boxes and then you can have a great time.

You're traveling with girls and their Mom...even during a woman's monthly cycle...even that stuff needs to be secured in a bear box or discarded properly. Not just for bears but from other critters too. Good luck have a great time and let us know how it goes, pard! Take plenty of photos and think about sharing some of them here, would like to know how your trip goes!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Here in WV and PA state parks they allow you to burn fallen wood, just not allowed to cut anything live. They don't supply bear proof containers either, bummer. So they are a concern. The sceneary isn't as beautiful as out West either. I need to move out West! :D

Comment

Thank you for the reply renodesertfox. I went shopping tonight and bought a collapsable 2.5 gallon water jug, nice and small folded up for the ride and I can fill it up there. Think I might get another one to take.

I also bought a tent tonight from Dicks. I got a 10x13 field and stream estate series tent. It looks like a decent one, out of what I saw at 4 different stores. It was on sale for 129, originally 269. Will set it up tomorrow and waterproof the seams.

Also bought a coleman rechargable LED light. It comes with a home and car charger which will be nice. I like the dual fuel lanterns but thought for the kids this would be safer and thought the rechargable batteries would be better than buying a ton of batteries.

I figured that I would have to buy firewood and that's alright. Does anyone know if all the campsites have a fire pit or fire ring at them? I have searched the yellowstone website but couldn't find any info. I guess I can call them and ask. Would be nice if they had a better camping guide with more details about the camp sites.

The bear boxes are nice, didn't know they had them.

I will be sure to take lots of pictures and post back on here. Hopefully the trip goes good and the family enjoys it so we can do more trips. Spending lots of money now but once we have the equipment the next trips will be pretty cheap.

Scott

Comment

Every campsite in YNP have a fire-ring. Sometimes when the landscape is very dry the NPS will not allow fires even at campsites, so that is the question that I would ask: Are there any fire restrictions during the time that you are going? Every campsite also have a table too. It is best to arrive early in a given week, say on Sunday or Monday. And even-though you are planning on camping during the summer take some warm clothes for night. It can be chilly there at 7500' elevation. Good luck.

Comment

I am also going to Yellowstone but not until next year. We made reservations at Canyons CG which is right in the middle of Yellowstone. They allow tents as well as other soft sided sleeping quarters but I believe you need to make reservations months in advance.

As far as the camp stove...I would recommend buying a new stove. They are not expensive and even if you decide camping aint your bag you can keep the stove around for those emergency situations where you may lose power at your home. You cant go wrong with Coleman stoves and lanterns. They are dependable and can take a beating.

I also would suggest a white gas lantern. Battery operated is OK but even with rechargeable batteries it can become a hassle to keep the batteries charged. I have a battery operated lantern that I use inside my tent but for lighting your camp site, nothing works better than a good ol gas powered lantern. The amount of light they give off is far greater than anything battery operated. just my 2 cents.

Take lots of pics and make sure and tell us all the gory details when you return. Good luck.

Comment

Another Item to consider

Another item to consider taking is a spotting scope and both a table top tripod and a full expandable tripod for it and use it for viewing wildlife which in abundance there but they keep their distance. Where SMC is camping at Canyons, tis true it's smack dab in the middle of the park but that is a nosy and busy campground, not much for privacy and solitude. I have been going to Yellowstone camping every 3 or 5 years and that started in 1980, it is a wonderful place and worth the effort to see at least once. You might also drive south of the park about 50 miles and come into view of the Grand Tetons National Park too! We(Desert Rose and I)were married at the bottom of the Grand Canyon(1978)at Phantom Ranch. But our first trip to YNP was our honeymoon to Yellowstone Lake Lodge in 1980, seems like yesterday! Ha Ha! Good luck!

Comment

Outstanding suggestion regarding the field scope. From what I have learned, it is a must have when going to Yellowstone. Again, Reno would know better as I have never been but from what I am learning, the wildlife is off the charts. Some even call it the Serengeti of America. The big attraction for me is the wildlife.

As far as the Canyons being noisy and crowded, thats what I have been told as well. However, that will only be our base camp and we dont plan on sitting around the camp much. To much to see and do to be sitting around so the noise and crowds at the CG will be a non issue. Its the crowds and traffic getting to those attractions that will be more of an issue and thats the case regardless of where you stay.

I am excited to hear about your experience. Please dont disappear like so many do after their trip. We like to hear about other experiences and I am very interested in your opinion of Yellowstone. Good luck and dont leave us hanging. :D

Comment

If you are use to driving on old tattered roads with pot-holes, no shoulders and slow speeds(45mph) you'll like Yellowstone NP. The back-roads in TN are very narrow indeed so Yellowstone shall feel like an open road. One word of caution though, if you are driving along and all of a sudden have to come to a compete stop and you stay there for quite a spell, don't fret, it's only because some lucky guy saw a grizz close to the highway and stopped to have a look. The roads through Yellowstone are not only narrow but also 2 lanes. No shoulders very few pull-outs, so traffic jams are just as common as seeing a grizz! Good luck! We too are planing on going back there next year, in the spring before it gets crazy!:D Yellowstone is awesome in the off seasons!!

Comment

Progress is being made in getting ready! Hope you don't mind, I"m just kinda rambling here. Helps me when I post everything here to organize my thoughts and make sure I"m covering everything. If you see any problems or have suggestions please chime in.

Tent-Have a 10x13 Field and stream that I set up and took down today. Will set up again Thursday morning to seam seal everything. It has a rain fly so will seal that also. Bought 16 new heavy duty metal stakes, this is how many the tent takes. Thought about getting some plastic ones also since I read they are better in some soils but didn't. Will be getting a 9x12 tarp to put under the tent in the next couple days. Also going to get a bigger tarp just to have.

Lantern-Have a nice coleman rechargable LED. I"m looking into a coleman gas lantern also like you guys recomended, will see how finances go.

Sleeping-Have air matresses and sleeping bags.

Cooking-Looking at some used stoves tomorrow, one person said they had a brand new one. If that doesn't work out I found a double burner coleman for 50 bucks at the store. Also going to bring a tripod to cook on. Bought another 5 gallon collapsable water jug today, after thinking about it I figured it would be nice to have more than the 2.5 gallons from the jug I bought to use before having to go fill up again.

I've been shopping everyday and slowly checking things off my list. Bought a nice first aid kit also, I"m the kleenex and electrical tape kind of guy but figured the girls might like something a little better if they get a cut or something. Have been putting all the small things together also. Will look into the field scope but will have to see how money is going at that point, would love one but have to cover the basics first.

As far as driving on narrow roads that doesn't bother me, 3 years ago I drove on the road to hana in Hawaii. That is only a lane and a half and there are hundreds of blind corners and hundreds of one lane bridges. Roads have a straight up mountain side on one side and a huge drop off on the other side. And the locals come flying around the corners at 40-50 MPH.

I did a test run today of loading the trunk and think we will be alright, was a little worried everything wouldn't fit. And I plan on posting lots of pics and staying around. I'm really hoping that the woman and girls enjoy this trip because I like camping and it's a fairly cheap vacation(after the initial investment I'm making this time!). We have a nice state park(highcliff state park) 10 minutes from us that we go hiking at fairly often, would be nice to spend some weekends out there. I'm sure I'll have some more questions after our trip about things we need to add to our camping gear. And also will need advice on some other places to pitch the tent in the future.

Thanks again for all your help guys and feel free to add anything.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X