Advice for 'dog proofing' a new tent floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for 'dog proofing' a new tent floor

Just got a new tent, the REI Camp Dome 4. It's a pretty nice tent and I'd like for it to hold up for at least a few years of car camping. For most trips it will be myself, my wife and my two dogs. We are planning our first trip this weekend in the new tent and I was hoping for some dog proofing advice as the dogs normally sleep with us and keeping them outside overnight is not an option.

One dog is a small dachshund and the other is a 50 lb black lab. They do sometimes scratch the floor a bit at home before they lie down for the night. This and just walking on the tent floor with their nails makes me nervous for the tent floor either getting punctured or losing some of its waterproof properties.

Does anyone have any advice for dog proofing a new tent floor? I was thinking of just picking up a tarp or something to throw down on the floor before bedding in for the night, but was wondering if anyone with experience car camping with dogs had any helpful advice.

Thanks so much!

Congrats on the tent! I have a good friend who camps with us occasionally that has that tent and it really is top shelf. You made a good purchase.

Now, to your question...I sometimes camp with my 110 pound German Shepard and he is a beast. His paws are the size of saucers...:eek: . Anway, he is not allowed to go in my tent but there has been times due to hail and wind and driving rain that I have let him get in out of the storm. When I take him, I also take along a outdooe carpet that I line the inside of my tent.

I have a Big Agnes BH6 and it is 10 X 10. My carpet is 8 X 10 so I just lay sleeping bags on the area that is not covered by the carpet and Iam gold. Smokey is very obediant so once he does enter the tent, he pretty much finds a place to lay down and you dont hear a peep out of him. I feel sure if your dogs dont "rough house" in the tent, a good piece of outdoor carpet will do the trick.

Good luck and make sure and let us know how you like your tent.

Comment

Thanks for the tip!! I didn't think of bringing along an outdoor carpet, that would be much better than a piece of plastic drop cloth. They are pretty good about lying down when it's time to go to bed, but they will rough house from time to time but are normally wound down by bedtime. I don't think they would play with each other in the tent unless we have to head in early because of foul weather. A piece of outdoor carpet would withstand that much better. I will see if I can find something before this weekend. Thanks again!

Comment

Another thought(I don't own a dog now) is a couple of painters drop-cloths. If space is of concern, those cloths might be handy. Just a thought, we once had a pit-bull(obedience-trained) and took him campin all the time and I used painter's drop cloths, but he aged and is no longer with us. No more children or dogs for me! Just a thought.
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

We use the mulipurpose foam interlocking flooring. It breaks down smaller than a rolled up rug and offer a nice thick durable foam... great for cold weather too.

Comment

Re: Advice for 'dog proofing' a new tent floor

Interlocking foam flooring. That sounds like a plan even if you don't take your dogs camping.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikenhunter View Post
              Interlocking foam flooring. That sounds like a plan even if you don't take your dogs camping.
              +1. I love the idea!
              Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I always have my 60lb Catahoula when I go camping. I used to worry about the floor of the tent, but whenever the dog gets in the tent, he steps immediately onto his bed. Now granted, there isn't really room for the dog to wander around in a 2 man tent...

The only time the dog is in the tent is during inclement weather or when it is time for bed. There has not been any need for me to bring anything extra for the floor of the tent.
                Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Working...
                X