Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pets-n-Campin!

Howdy,
    The spirit moves me and this is what I gotta say concerning concerning campin with pets:

When planning your next camping trip, don't forget the pets. Most pets love to spend time with you in the great outdoors. Though it does add a little more work, you will be glad you brought them with you. Many campgrounds are pet friendly, and offer services like dog parks, that cater just to them. Be sure to take some time and research the pet rules of the campground, parks or beaches you are planning to visit.

An enjoyable trip includes everyone in the family, even your pets. Well trained pets offer companionship and protection for you and your family. Keeping your pet on a leash will ensure the safety of non family members. Always keep your leash handy for rest stops or walks.

Campground dog parks are great way to spend some time with your pet without venturing very far from your campsite. Pet parks usually have many amenities such as exercise runs or fields for Frisbee playing.

If your campground has a convenience store or cafe, its best to check with the management before bringing your pet inside with you. Some campgrounds even offer a pet day care center. You pet may not be used to the all exercise a camping trip may have, make sure they have time to recover from one outing to the next.

Always keep a fresh bowl of water for your pet. Just like humans, pets need shade, consider bringing a screen house for your pet to relax in. Not only will this provide shade, keep them dry from the rain, but also keep biting bugs away from your pets. Pet screen tents are compact, lightweight, and easy to assemble.

I hope this has inspired you to take your pet with you on your next outing, we wish you and your pet a trip full of enjoyment. Remember the leash, it's better than an apology, by cracky!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Great topic Reno. As a matter of fact, we just got back today from 4 days campin with one of our pets...a 100 lb, snow white, German Shepard. He loves to camp but we usually only bring him on 1 or 2 camps a year. Since he is not allowed on the trails we hike, it makes it difficult to bring him.

You talked about security...here are a couple of stories that happened just this last camp trip that involved camping with pets. The first happened when a irate tourist was out of line due to something...probably his stupidity but anyhow, I was in the middle of his tirade so I "assumed" he was talking to me. Before I could say a word my wife was all over this guy for talking so vulgar in front of our kids. They were in the back of our truck as we cruised around the Cades Cove loop road and I was driving. Smokey was lying on the bed of the truck out of sight. Well, I got out of my truck and was headed to go introduce myself to this jerk the whole time runnin my mouth and getting very mad due to this guys mouth. :eek: About the time I got to the back of my truck, Smokey raised up, let out a very intimidating growl and the loudmouth leaped back into his car and the "event" was diffused.

The moral is...my dog had better sense than me or the loudmouth and he save me from getting into trouble that I did not need. His intimidating growl ended that confrontation dead in its tracks.

The second story happened about 2:30 Saturday morning. I had just gone to sleep when I heard Smokey growling like a tiger. I got up and went outside the tent. When I turned on my light at first I could not see anything but as I panned the campsite, about 75 feet from our tent was a huge bear. Seriously, it probably only weighed 200 pounds but thats still pretty dang big especially at 2:30 in the AM. This bear decided to stay on the other side of the road in the woods at least until he was clear of my light and Smokey. The bear wanted no trouble and chose to avoid poking around our campsite.

I just thought those were two stories that I wanted to share and when I logged on I saw your topic. I am pretty sure my daughter took some pics of Smokey so I will post a pic or two later this week. He really is a cool dog and we got 100's of compliments as well as questions about him. He commands respect. Some actually asked if he was a wolf...:rolleyes: He looks nothing like a wolf but in those surroundings, I can understand the city folks thinking that.

I also highly reccomend taking your pets campin at every chance. Mine really enjoys it. As a matter of fact, Smokey has cried all afternoon. He sad we left.

Comment

RDF has met Squeaky, my backpackin' companion (no offense Billy). Squeaky is half lab and half pit - but Squeaky hasn't got an aggressive bone in her body....... unless you don't belong in/around where we make camp in the wilderness and you are not human. I have seen her defend what goes into Billy's saddle bags twice now, and seen her really care less when other people's dogs are in the area, but not a threat.

On the trail, she is so well behaved. When we come across others on the trail, she watches my hand signals to figure out where I want her - and she gives plenty of room to those HUGE four legged creatures others have/ride with packs and gear on them. When others are approaching me on the trail, and their dog/s are not on a leash, I can give Squeaky a sign where I want her to go, and off she goes; knowing I will be following her as I lead Billy to the general area. Once there, I then can put a leash on Squeaky, stand there, and let others pass. More often than not, the other hikers are more interested in Billy, want to talk about him, and take his picture.

Actually, Squeaky is only good for scaring fish in the lake as she demands I toss sticks for her to swim after, and for sleeping next to my food stuffs at night. What I forget to do sometimes is put the food into the llama packs. I get reminded when I get up the next morning. Squeaky, almost always, bulldozes out an area where she IS GOING to sleep, spraying dirt, wood chips, pine needles, pine cones, and what ever else all over the place - including my food and cooking gear if I have forgotten to put it away.

I used to backpack with a dog which was half husky and half coyote. Oh, now there was a really alert dog! Wiley could hear sounds in the forest before they left the source. When in camp, she would be sleeping, and all of a sudden up would pop her head, ears pointed somewhere. Way off in the distance, the source of the noise could be seen - and I never heard the source.

So, yes! Don't forget your dog when you go camping, or walk a trail. When on the trail, make sure you take extra water for Fido; especially if you are not sure if there are any water sources where you are going.
      Chuck
      So. Oregon
      TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

A friend rescued our dog from some very bad people and then gave him to us. Solomon is a 16 lb terrier/Maltese mix. Because he was so abused as a pup, he is super attached to us so we can't board him. We cannot take Sol to the groomers as he bites them, therefore we give him haircuts with clippers. Needless to say, he looks like a scruffy, stuffed animal.

Solomon goes where we go and he loves camping. We keep him on a 20 ft lead while on our site and he prowls the perimeter like a 150 lb Rottweiler. He's a bit ridiculous in the protective department. Everyone walking 50-100 ft by our campsite is considered an intruder and is growled at. Luckily, Solomon growls low so they can't hear him, but we can.

Sol is pretty funny though, he will not go potty on our campsite at all. He makes us walk him quite a distance away before he'll relieve himself.

Last month, when we were hiking, we saw a couple of huge owls. I have no idea what kind they were, but my husband was worried they were going to snatch up Solomon. I argued that Sol is much bigger than the rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, and whatnot that they usually prey on. My husband was not convinced. The owls screeched at Sol while he ran back and forth barking at them.

Eventually the owls stopped keeping pace with us. I think they were curious about the dog, but I doubt they would've made a grab for him. My husband disagrees. Needless to say, we always keep Sol on a leash, otherwise his nosy behind would get into places where he shouldn't be.
        "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
        ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Great story about Sol! Thanks for sharin'
          Chuck
          So. Oregon
          TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
          TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
          SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Working...
          X