returning to camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• returning to camping

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I have a question. My employer is giving me a 20 year service award in December. Among my choices is a "camping package". Included in the package is a Fenix 6 person dome tent. I've been looking for reviews on this tent and haven't been able to find any. Does anybody here know anything about this tent?
    Thanks
    Pat

Searches sure don't bring anything up, so this is likely some kind of low-production import. That doesn't mean it's not quality, but of course it's important to see what the features are for evaluation. At 6-man, it should have more than two support poles, SwiftClip-type attachments and minimal lengths of sleeve supports, full coverage fly, and polyester construction. Of course, the word "free" can overcome all drawbacks! :D
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts too. The thing is I don't want to get back into this and have a bad experience in a rainstorm or something. I suppose I could treat the seams and add a rain fly if necessary. hmmmmmmm

Comment

Once you have it, erect it, seal the seams, and spend a rainy night in it in your backyard...... See how it fares before relying on it away from home.

What other goodies come in the package?
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

The package comes with 2 sleeping bags and 2 camp chairs. The tent looks like it has at least 4 poles and some type of fly. The turmoil is that my next choice will be a set of fitted golf clubs that retail for about $700, so I need this gear to be decent stuff. Otherwise, I'll get the clubs and go buy a tent and sleeping bags at REI, and be relatively sure of what I'm getting, maybe for less than $700. Know what I mean?????

Comment

RI I'd be tempted to take the clubs instead without a lot of clear info on the camping gear. I could pick up a pair of $250 down bags off Ebay new for $200, a high-end $500 tent for another $200, and still have almost $300 left over for other gear. Those clubs might be a lot pricer out-of-pocket rather than F-R-E-E. BTW, contratulations. Companies often don't last 20 years, let alone employees! :D
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

Or take the clubs and sell them on Fleabay, use the money to fund some good camping gear! :D
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Did they add in some free time to go camping? I know personal time can be a dirty word with my job.
                All I want is some ME time,they dont have to pay me, just let me go CAMPING!

Comment

Heh!! Camo, along with all this service award, I will pick up my 5th week of paid vacation time. They do give me 24 hours of personal time a year but I use that in hourly increments usually to sneak out early on a Friday or to take off early on those really nice weekdays when the golf course calls really loudly.
                  I decided to go with the camping package because I know that ultimately I can get the clubs at a discount due to the fact that I do work in the golf industry. When I stated that the clubs cost $700, that was based on retail price since that's what I would pay for all other items that I had to choose from if I were to go out a buy them. I can get the clubs for $400 through work when I want them. With that being said however, it may be a time before I get them since I'm hoping the camping will take up more of my time now.
                  Thanks for all of your replies so far and now I need to ask what kind of mattress would be nice and also what a good stove and lantern would be to get. My wife and I are creatures of comfort and I'm not so much concerned with the weight of the mattress since I don't envision doing a whole lot of hiking through the woods to do that true wilderness camping. I love being out in nature but I don't want to be waking up with a stiff back if I can avoid it.
                  Thanks again and I hope to be a regular here, it seems like a nice place so far..........

Comment

I recommend the same mattress that Colin Fletcher uses (his book: The Complete Walker), the Cascade Designs ThermaRest self-inflating mattress. They come in a variety of lengths, widths and thicknesses. Unlike cots or air mattresses, they don't employ hollow air spaces inside or below which invite a poor nights' sleep or at worst even hypothermia due to cold exposure. I like the CampRest StayTec version, which is 25 X 77' and about 3" thick. Even a knockoff version of the ThermaRest would be far superior to a cot or an air mattress, unless you plan on doing your camping in only the warmest summer months, or use a heater (like the fabled Mr. Buddy) inside your tent. :D

Comment

Thanks TPIFE. I'll check into those suggestions. The cascade designs one sounds like it may offer what I'm looking for.I was looking at the camp rest this weekend and that also looked pretty good.

Comment

ThermaRest is made by Cascade Designs.

Comment

Well, the goods arrived today. I still haven't been able to find much information about this tent as far as reviews, so all I can do is hope that it holds up well. One of my concerns is what I can do about a footprint for it. I noticed that REI carries tents that have matching footprints. How can I handle this??
                          Here's a link that shows the tent. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules since this link is actually through amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UD2K7G/...SIN=B002UD2K7G. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I haven't found the "footprints" to be any better than a plastic tarp, other than saving a few ounces. Good luck with your new tent and may you spend many happy evenings under the stars together!

Comment

Working...
                            X