stove ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stove ??

what kind of stove do you use ? I use a swiss messkit that I got at sportsmensguide or cheapeerthendirt.com 8 or 10 kits for 20.00 -8 stoves /8 fuel bottels/ 8 wind screens /8-3pc.messkits now when I go hunting/fishing/camping everyone cam cook there own food. me :D-them :eek: :confused:

Howdy! I like simplicity, so I generally use my Coleman Peak One folding stove that uses the small butane/propane cartridges - lasts me a weekend of camping.
    Since I am usually traveling by motorcycle, size and weight are concerns.
    I can generally have my meal cooked and be eating about the time my riding buddy has his cantankerous Whisperlite stove finally burning decently.
    I have gotten a Coleman DualFuel single-burner to make fuel use on longer trips easier. Still need to field test it though. I have two red MSR bottles to carry Coleman fuel, and can use gas from the bike if needs be.

When hiking, I often carry just an Esbit stove with Trioxane solid fuel - super light weight and silly/simple! Did I say.... "Simple is GOOD!" :cool:

<edit to add:>
    I finally fired up my two Coleman Dual Fuel stoves this weekend.
    Good thing!!
    FIrst I got my older Dual Fuel lantern going - no problem. It needed new mantles anyway.

Then, I fire up the first Dual Fuel stove - WHOA!! Thought I had it pumped up - but then flames start dropping down around the fuel tank.... NOT GOOD!
    Dropping back to old Navy training, I shut off the fuel valve, then spray it down with a misting of water - this really works! DO NOT spray a stream into any oil-based fuel, as it will only spread it. But, it works to cool the fire and snuff it.
    I used this technique to quell a deepfat fryer pot that caught fire, and both extinguishers were used up on it.
    Dad swore he cut the gas off....

So, I set that one aside, then re-read the instructions...
    AH! I forgot to hold my finger OVER the vent hole in the pump! I hadn't properly pressurised it.
    The second stove did much better - in a couple moments. it was purring nicely with a good hot flame!

So, after drying off the first stove, I tried again - this time it worked fine. It really helps to read the instructions and do it RIGHT! :-)
    Last edited by Bigdog57; 10-27-2008, 10:40 AM.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Stove??

Howdy Bigdog,

I see that the elementary school stuff(learning to read) payed dividends!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Hehehe! "Real men" DO read directions.... at least the second time around! :D
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Stove, as in singular???

I've usually got a couple burners going (low-end Coleman dual burner LP), some meat on the Weber Q220, and some potatoes baking in or on the campfire.

We do a lot of 9,000-foot camping in the summer and both the Coleman and the Weber still work pretty good up there.

Comment

Working...
          X