Winter Camping/traveling essentials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Camping/traveling essentials

I don't know if I've seen something here suggesting what any of us carry in our vehicles as an emergency "kit", so I thought I'd add my two cents worth. If this needs to be moved to another thread, that will take care of itself.

Susan and I, for those who don't know us, are very independent campers/travelers. For example, we just returned from a 2 week trek from So. Oregon to Santa Barbara and back. We scheduled people to visit, and they knew we were coming, but, because of the way we travel, those who know us know it is close to impossible to pin us down to when we will arrive: The sooner in the schedule, the more likely we will arrive on the day we "think" we will get there.

So, in my/our van, which we live out of when we travel, I carry a set of middle weight and a set of expedition weight top and bottoms base layer clothing, a pair of wool socks, leather ankle top hiking boots (if I have to "walk out" I want stable shoes and leather is better for keeping feet warm and dry than synthetic material), 15* sleeping bag (I can bundle up in other clothes and not freeze), 2 emergency (space) blankets, synthetic (water proof, breathable, windproof) shell, enough "no cooking" food for 3 days (energy bars, chocolate, prescription bottle (filled w/wood strike anywhere matches, & a section of "striker" from box of matches), prescription bottle (5-6 natural cotton balls, soaked with Vaseline) fire starters, minimum 2" long folding knife (strong blade), 3-5 LED headlamp, extra AA batteries for headlamp and other "toys", and enough reading material to last me 4-5 days (books, magazines, etc).

I always carry map/s of where I am going. I have a car gps, my portable gps, and a US maps program in my lap top so I can figure things out when out of internet range. I/we stop in at Forest Service stations to report where I/we might be going, get advice, and or any maps I might need.

I think of the family two Thanksgivings ago who got lost driving home to San Francisco, without an adequate emergency kit. The husband died of exposure because he didn't have any winter gear when he left the car to get help. The wife and infant child were barely alive when found. Winter travel is not something to take for granted, or assume to be prepared for.

I'm sure there are other things we take, which I am not thinking of right now. But, it is a starter to consider.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Re: Winter Camping/traveling essentials

Very true. Living here in Alaska we have to be prepared just for a drive to Wal-Mart. The entire driver side of my back seat is full of cold weather clothing and other survival gear. My truck bed has sand, traction boards, a shovel, ax, and some more stuff that I can't remember now. Better safe than sorry.
    May you always have love to share,
    Health to spare
    And friends that care.

Comment

Working...
    X