Pole Material??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pole Material??

So I'm purchasing a 3 season [COLOR=#11593C ! important][COLOR=#11593C ! important]tent[/COLOR][/COLOR]. I have 2 picked out from the alps mountaineering company. These two are exactly the same except one has fiberglass poles and the other is aluminum.

My tent will never be exposed to snow build up of any kind, probably never snow at all. Weight is not a concern, it's a 2 pound difference between the 2, I can handle that. The most extreme thing that will test the structure of the tent will be heavy rain and wind. Should a storm pop up while I'm camping.

Which should I get??

Thanks all!
    Fiberglass
    0.00%
    Aluminum
    100.00%

The poll is expired.

Re: Pole Material??

Howdy MTA, Tent poles make up the framework of any tent and are essentially the skeleton of the tent. Tent poles must be able to hold up to the forces of wind, rain and snow by holding the tent fabric in place. Tent poles are generally made of three materials and built to be lightweight, strong and durable. Most are made for what's known as three- or four-season camping.

Read more: Aluminum vs. Fiberglass Tent Poles | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6162461_al...#ixzz1DC9hqSA8

To advise you I would say I would get the one that you think will serve you better. For me, I camp with steel poles and a canvas tent. This is only a first response and given some time other campateers will tell you their $0.02. Thanks for askin! Good luck with your purchase and it's nice to have new campateers here always.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Given a choice, I always go with anodized aluminum poles. They are less prone to wear and cracking that take place during pitching and striking. There are quality fiberglass poles, I have some that have been used countless times over two decades, but like the Alps they are from a high-end tent using helicopter blade technology.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Welcome MTA. Welcome to our campfire here. To answer your question, I'm an anodized aluminum person, too. Wayyyy too many advantages over fiberglass!
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

My tents have fiberglass poles - not from choice, they simply came that way for those particular models. Each has it's pros and cons.
          I have hed a fiberglass pole break - twice.
          On the other hand, FG is very quick and easy to repair. I also now have several spare sections for replacement at home.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
          X