tent fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tent fan

We've downsized from a pop up to a tent. When camping with the pop up we always camped with electricity, and brought fans and such with us. Now we're planning on camping without electricity, so I need some suggestions of battery powered fans. We're in Maine so it's unlikely to get crazy hot, but my husband is a human furnace and needs some air moving to be able to sleep. Suggestions? Our tent is a Columbia Bugaboo II. I've looked at the Coleman Tent Fan: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-200000...1675528&sr=8-2
    It takes a D battery, and runs 16 hours on one battery. I don't have a charger for D batteries, so it seems I'll be throwing out a lot of batteries with this bugger. I like that it mounts to the tent ceiling so I don't have to find a place to stand it.

I've also considered just a couple of those little hand held fans from Walmart that they sell for $2 or so. I've used them in theme parks on 100 degree days. They're kind of loud though. They take AAs, and I have rechargeables.

Suggestions, experienced campers?

Re: tent fan

If you're a serious camper, you might want to invest in a "house battery". We tote an Optima Group 24 that powers 200W Kenwood/Polk stereo system, LED special effects lighting, and about anything we'd want to power or charge outside of a TV or a microwave. Camping World and even WalMart carry 12V fans that are rugged and can be mounted to tent poles or suspended from the tent ceiling...Or you can recharge the D cells for your Coleman...

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I have a fan similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cool-Z...1703331&sr=1-3

It runs on D batteries and can be temperature controlled. It actually ran quite a while on the batteries. I didn't have to replace the batteries last year. Only issue I had with it is that it was difficult to get what I wanted for placement. the magnetic plate that goes onto the outside of the tent was hard to position when camping by myself. but other than that, it out preformed my expectations.

Comment

I have three sizes of the "O2 COOL" battery fans from Wally's. The 3V model is too small for real camping use, except maybe in a smaller tent. The 6V and 12V models will go for a long weekend on one set of D-cell batteries. The 6V model is the one I use the most. I bought a few sets of rechargeable D-cells and simply swap them out and recharge them when they go flat.
        The 12V and 6V models come with AC adapters, and the 3V has one that can be ordered.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I finally got my camping supplies outta storage and can respond to this thread :D.

I'm this house's "humane" furnace and mustmustmust have moving air wherever I am.
          Oh but I canna stand constant A/C air.......go figure, LOL.

For the past 3 seasons, I've used these 2 fans:

Coleman's fan/light
          http://search.coleman.com/cgi-bin/Ms...Y%20fan%20tent

and

O2 Cool 10" battery operated Indoor/Outdoor Fan w/ a indoor AC adapter included; model 1054
          Paid....19.99 @ Modell's ( not sure if this is only a local chain, or not).

The O2 is the more powerful unit ( uses 8 "D" batteries) and also makes the most noise although the sound is fairly "white".
          It functions best as a stand fan altho can be hung as well.

The Coleman is best as a light (has bright and nightlight functions) IMO although the fact that it doesn't work too well in fan mode might be attributed to the height of my tent (about 6'). It is really made to be hung (has a magnetic plate holder as well as well balanced hook) and uses....(getting up to search the cooler it's stored in..LOL) 4 "D" batteries.

If I was doing it again just for fan capabilities, O2 would be my go to.

Oh, yes...I've never needed to replace the original batteries in either unit.
          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-23-2011, 08:46 AM.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

If you have a 12v supply these car fans work great as personal coolers.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	4359.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	69289
            -Johnny

Comment

I finally remembered the look at the brand I have and it is one of the O2s. I would recommend that fan to anyone. Like NYCgrrl, I haven't changed the batteries in mine yet. I had it on at least 2 several day camping trips and had it on for 4-6+ hours each night. I know I saw the same fan at Walmart, and I bought mine at Gander Mountain April 2010.

Comment

Thank you for all this info! I too need a tent fan. I'll be shopping for an O2!
                Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

note: o2 cool sells different versions, with different power adaptors.

Comment

another note: the O2 Fan that Walmart sells in an "Ozark Trails" box (it says O2 Cool fan on fan and inside) is the model 1053 and states 24 hours usage on 8 D batteries ($13). Another O2 Cool fan in there own branded box is in their fan section and states 60 hours on 8 D battereis (not sure of model number - $15). I saw a box at another store but cant remember where that stated 72 hours on 8 D batteries. There are several models out there...

Comment

I keep my 6V black "O2 COOL" fan on my PC to cool me as I travel the 'digital highways'. I get a good week of use on one set of batteries, and I spend a fair amount of time online. This allows me to minimise use of house AC.
                      I have a set of rechargeable D-cells, but haven't tried them yet - I will switch them in next time I need to change.
                      My 12V O2 COOL fan sits on a low table next to my bed, cooling me at night - it uses the AC wall adapter though. I don't know how long it will last on batteries only.
                      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by txnewcampr View Post
                        another note: the O2 Fan that Walmart sells in an "Ozark Trails" box (it says O2 Cool fan on fan and inside) is the model 1053 and states 24 hours usage on 8 D batteries ($13). Another O2 Cool fan in there own branded box is in their fan section and states 60 hours on 8 D battereis (not sure of model number - $15). I saw a box at another store but cant remember where that stated 72 hours on 8 D batteries. There are several models out there...
                        Great information! Thank you I would not have known to look closer at the OZ trails box.

Regards,
                        Sharon

Comment

Working...
                        X