Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timberline SQ 4XT comofrtable for three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timberline SQ 4XT comofrtable for three?

Hey, guys.. Quick question here.. I recently purchased a Timberline SQ 4XT tent that I am taking along on a bicycle tour. There will be three of us riding, and the trip is going to take close to three weeks.

Now, I've read that if you want to gauge your tent's comfortable capacity, you take the number of people it's designed to sleep, and subtract one. I've also read that you take that number and divide it by two.. So, I guess the jury is still out. Just about every personal review of the tent I'd read mentions that the reviewer shared the tent with one other person, and everything was peachy, while using it as anything more than a two person tent would be pushing it.

I was wondering if any of you have experience with the SQ 4XT sleeping three adults comfortably? My concern is that three weeks straight riding during the day, then piling into the tent night after night will start to get very cramped at some point. Cabin fever is the last think anybody would want to develop on a bicycle tour.

Thank you in advance

Re: Timberline SQ 4XT comofrtable for three?

Always get a tent that is designed to carry one more than you intend to bring along.
    That's my rule of the matter anyway.

Comment

Littlefish is correct in his summary of the correct size of a tent to purchase. But also keep in mind that you and your companions will be camping and touring by bicycle, which requires one to limit the amount of space and could add a few more ounces to your already established gear-load. Space in a tent might not be veasible. It's totally your call. Back in my youth when I bicycle camped weight and space contributed heavily on what I would carry or not. And by the end of everyday's peddle I and my companion where happy with just space for us each. The extra gear we carried were spare parts for the bikes(tubes, patches, tool-kit). Would be nice if on your return to let us know how your trip went and include some photos too, if you'd like. Welcome too, to our humble little forum!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks, guys.. Yeah, I was more worried about the getting crowded part than weight. My friend and I did Montreal - NYC last year. Had a little two person Apex 2 tent. While it definitely fit the two of us, it was definitely very cozy.. And, after a full day in the saddle, you want some space to yourself to stretch. Also, I'm a pretty restless sleeper, which didn't help my friend's case any. The Timberline weighs in at around 9 pounds. I figured if we spread the tent between three riders, that's three pounds each for something with room to breathe (according to the 4-1=3 formula anyway a nice rain fly, and a sturdy frame. Also, our ride this time will be NYC - Athens, GA. Which shouldn't be too hilly.. I will definitely take pictures along the way. I have a couple from last year if you'd like to see..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1962.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	69265Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1928.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	69266Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1938.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	69267Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1988.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	69268Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2022.jpg
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	69269

Comment

Mmm.. As you can see, I'm not too good at this photo thing yet..

Comment

Your photos are great! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Love the photos! Thanks for sharing!
              "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
              ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

I thought they would come out as clickable thumbnails.. But looks like you need a magnifying glass to see them.

Comment

Not on my machine, I just move my cursor over an image and click on it and the small thumbnail image is tranferred into a larger image. You can also link an image to this site through flicker/facebook/photobucket, etc. Most of the time if your browser is set up, linking an image is just copy and paste.

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                    Not on my machine, I just move my cursor over an image and click on it and the small thumbnail image is tranferred into a larger image. You can also link an image to this site through flicker/facebook/photobucket, etc. Most of the time if your browser is set up, linking an image is just copy and paste.
                    Same here. I just click on the first photo and then I'm able to click on [next] to go through each one shown. The pop-up box is not unlike the pop-up's on shopping websites that allow you to zoom in on the item you're looking at. :D
                    "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                    ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

The pics are great! ... Are those Ortlieb panniers? I'm doing a bike/camp event this fall, and need to invest in panniers.
                      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I guess the ipad browser doesn't support this photo format. Thank you. The front panniers are Ortlieb Front Rollers.. They came in very handy for hauling food, water bottles, toiletries.. More of the utilitarian stuff.. I found that if I started packing clothing in them, the space would fill up very quickly. The panniers on the rear are Seattle Sport Rain Riders.. REI actually has a great deal on them right now. You can get a pair for a hundred dollars from their outlet vendor online. They are very roomy and completely waterproof.. Let me know if you have any questions regarding cyclocamping.

Comment

That tent is very similar in looks but about 1/4-1/2 bigger in sq ft to the $10.00 pup tent I used to cycle camp with.
                          Worked beauteously for 2 joined at the hip adults and 1 toddler back in a decade I don't wanna discuss...OK...let's just say the toddler is now in his mid '30's...LOL.

It was allll about the weight for me back then and the less I had to hump the better.
                          I won't discuss the overall merits or disadvantages of yer new tent cuz I don't know it and haven't done one of my copious note taking comparisons of denier, overall weight, materials blahblahblah.

Oh yes your question about how many people is realistic in a tent.....I use the manufacturer's thunk and divided in half but I'm a serious car camper now.
                          I will say that the easiest way to know if your party will be comfy in the tent WITH gear is to give it a tryout in the backyard since you've already got the tent.

I must say I like your last year's idea of throwing a tarp over the bikes. We only did that when the sky opened. Used a lighter weight poncho to accomplish the task.

Gosh you're making me long. Altho I suspect this would be a moment where my mind is willing but the bod is laffing it's arse off at the rest o me......
                          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 04-25-2011, 12:02 PM.
                          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

The Timberline SQ 4XT tent Timberline SQ 4XT tent is a classic design, updated with aluminum poles. Probably its best feature is the wind integrity of A-frame designs when all staking points and tiedowns are used, and the vestifule and fly are virtually full-coverage. Denier fabric strengths are spot-on for tents this size. It's downfall is its dated shape, poor use of interior space due to the sloped walls. This is a roomy tent for two plus gear, but cramped with three. At close to $300 there are better options with more vertical space from other brands. That said, there are certainly worse tents to squeeze three people and their gear into.
                            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

@chiroptile - thank you! I'm heading over to REI right now. In a few weeks, I'll take you up re cyclocamping questions. I actually will have it easy; the tour I'm doing is through Adventure Cycling and it's supported.
                              Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Working...
                              X